Tyres and electrics advise please

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morpheus2010

Tyres and electrics advise please

Post by morpheus2010 »

I have a Losi XXcr Kinwald edition buggy (graphite & alloy bits) I used to race outdoors when it was popular round here, clubs closed so it's been in a cupboard for over 10 years. Recently found an rc club http://www.rvrccc.co.uk that is not too far away so decided to start racing again. :D They have a veterans section for old codgers LOL (45+)

Things have moved on since 1999 but the car seems nippy enough as is to begin with.

As its indoors on carpet need some new boots. Oddly enough can't seem to get foam tyres for 1:10 buggys any more so looking at using mini and/or taper pin. Question is what the difference between blue or yellow type?.

Still got matched pack NiCads with Yokomo 17 double motor that was good for short indoor circuits. 12 & 14 turn motors indoors used to get hot and not a lot of difference on twisty tracks so trying Yokomo just to start with.

If all goes well looking to upgrade Motor/ESC/Batteries as brushless/Lipo seems to be the thing.

Where can I get technical info about the different setups? e.g. Sensored vs Unsensored motors. What's the best sort of brushless motor for short twisty circuits (no long straights) so smooth with plenty of low down torque.

Bit concerned about Lipo batteries. There seems to be a problem with them going up in smoke :roll: and would appreciate advise on charging/discharging practice to look after them.

Will post up some pic's when I have repainted the current car.

Kind Regards 8)

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Re: Tyres and electrics advise please

Post by slapshot1979 »

Yaaaaaaa another Losi guy :wink:
We love pictures here and would love to see some of your xx-cr.
As for brushlesss systems there is lots to choose from and price ranges. I havent tried it iin a buggy but the 3800kv 4 pole motor would provide tons of torque and not as much high end rpms.
As for Lipos you are not alone, there is endless topics on this very question all over the interent. do some searching and you will find all the info you need.
I think everyone is a little nervous with them at first then learn that you have to really abuse them to create "smoke". but use them once and your NICD's will go into the vintage box.
Welcome.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Hi, & welcome to the board...... another UK member! Just checked out your link to the Ribble Valley club, looks like a friendly club, & typical of the type of mid-week buggy racing in this country, in fact the track looks very similar to where I race here in Northants. My best advice to you is to pop along on one of their club nights & see/ask what people are running, it's much easier to explain the pros & cons etc when you've got the actual items to see in front of you ;-)

As for tyres, Schumacher Mini pins & mini spikes work for rear tyres, with stagger ribs on the front (or mini pins again if you want loads of steering) Always in 'Yellow' compound (blues are harder & last longer but are pretty useless grip-wise on our carpet at least). Some people are starting to use the D-boot tyres as they seem to last a bit longer, but ultimately give a little less grip. Again it's prob best to see what they run at the club.

I run a Losi xxx (albeit with a mid-motor conversion). Which isn't that different to your Kinwald XX, so I think you'll be (& on-lookers at the club) surprised at just how capable the car is. It will certainly be man-enough to take brushless technology. In fact on that small track, your brushed motor set-up with the Yokomo motor might be perfectly fine to get you up & running again ;-)

Ps; would be nice to some pics of your ride when you can!

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

xx's are still competitive. great cars.

welcome to the forum!

morpheus2010

Post by morpheus2010 »

Thanks for the responses :D People.

Had the car running up and down the road and pleased with it's pace. Still got the twitchy thumbs for the stick Tranny 8)

Decided to go with Losi Taper pin boots (pink) on mail order, to start with as they don't scrub down as quick as mini pins. Should still be grippy on carpet. Hoping to get access to a lathe and turn down some foam rubber to compare. 1/8 Enneti foam donuts 35 shore look likely candidates with a bit of machining work.

Got to figure out the best damper oil weights and maybe stiffer springs.

Coz it's racing indoors just got an Ansmann Sirius 12 Forward/reverse ESC. Previously used Novak 410-HPc Forward/Brake ESC for outdoors, didn't need reverse for that but there's a bit more argy bargy on indoor track :lol: so may save a bit of time when getting t-boned :mrgreen:

Just have to see how it goes for the first meetings before taking the plunge on brushless. Reckon it's going to be over £200 by the time Motor/ESC combo, Lipo's and Balance charger is splashed out for. ( Just don't tell her indoors :lol: )

All being well, going to get the boots before next weeks meeting, so taking DSLR camera for tonights session.

Kind regards

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

for brushless on a budget the hobbywing xerun (sensored series) systems are hard to beat.

morpheus2010

Post by morpheus2010 »

kaiser wrote:for brushless on a budget the hobbywing xerun (sensored series) systems are hard to beat.
Cheers for the pointer. The Xerun Combo-X8 or X9 looks very good specs and if all goes well with the initial return to RC Racing may be upgrading with one of these combos.

Probably in about a months time. Plan on Outdoor Off Road when the season starts in March. The club nearest to me is at Southport http://www.srcc.co.uk. see: http://youtu.be/ib981ciFd-s for a taste of what the club gets up to.

A good mix of fun club racing, Summer series Racing along with Regional and UK National events for the committed racers.

Just got to Figure the Lipo's to go for. I like the IMax charger and they seem to be popular.

Leo

morpheus2010

Post by morpheus2010 »

kaiser wrote:for brushless on a budget the hobbywing xerun (sensored series) systems are hard to beat.
Now got some extra pennies in the kitty so ordered Novak GTB2 with X-drive ESC and a Ballistic 8.5T Motor ( Used Novak brushed system previously and liked the reliability ) plus I can change the stator and not have to buy a full motor if I want a different wind.

Going to start with a 20 tooth Pinion over 84 tooth Spur. Gives me 9.2:1 drive ratio

Just hope its okay ( ESC has over temp protection )

Any advice about brushless/drive ratio's would be appreciated

The other thing I'm looking at is Lipo batteries

Do I get 6500 25C's or 4000 40C's i.e. Do the 40C's deliver more punch or is that not really a factor with Lipo.

Pushed SCR's were punchier than standard ones. e.g. Lower internal resistance so gave more drive current.

Advise/Experience appreciated

morpheus2010

Post by morpheus2010 »

Took the plunge with Novak GTB2 ESC coupled with Novak Ballistic 8.5t Sensored Motor.

After looking around at various options decided on a pair of Turnigy Nano-Tech 5600 50c+ Lipos (HobbyKing) to race with. Very good value and I've seen a few quick racers using them.

Had to Dremel the XX chassis to fit the lipo battery and used turnigy straps to hold firmly.

Just got the new kit fitted and quick trial in the street. OMG :twisted: went like a rocket and the X-drive brakes are wicked.

So its off to Sunny Southport for the outdoor racing this Sunday and find out if I can handle the power :lol:

Will post some pic's soon :mrgreen: