electrics question

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Volumiza
Approved Member

electrics question

Post by Volumiza »

i want to impregnate my new runner with a complete fresh rack of electrics. i'm definately going brushless and i'm leaning
towards a novak system, although i'm not sure which are the best (ss, gtb ... ?). i'm a complete green gill really and the guy at my hobby store is totally unlikeable, he doesn't seem to believe in choice so he's always trying to push what he stocks.

money no object, which system would any of you recommend? i won't be racing but i don't want to forego too much speed for longevity. i want to kit this out properly so what battery pack, recievers and servos would you choose or even use?? i dont want to skimp on this.

are there levels of compatability between certain makes and types of equipment.

as much advice as you can give cos i want this new runner to be top notch as my current runner is just a mish mash of stuff that i've collected rather than bought.

thanks in advance
"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers!" The late great Bob Monkhouse 1928 - 2003.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: electrics question

Post by badhoopty »

i dont have much race experience so i cant help you out at all with recommending whats the best.

you cant go wrong with novak quality, the only 'bad' thing with most novaks is you are limited to 7.2v lipo.

i have the older ss5800 system and a new gtb system with the 6.5.

the 6.5 is in my tuber10, and its ballistic even in a heavy rig. on pavement with slicks i can lose traction anytime i want to...

the 5800ss i have in a worlds car and its a very nice 'not too fast' setup.

--end novak brand loyalty--

i would also look into the castle creations motors and escs, the mamba max 5700 on 2s lipo is a nice not too fast setup, but throw a 3s lipo in it and its a rocket...

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

I have a brand new GTB SS (the best way to go if you've got a Spektrum setup) still shrinkwrapped in the box if you'd be interested.
Keith C

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

I haven't messed with the novak stuff, but have a few of the mamba max controllers and motors, some el cheapo's and had a traxxas velineon. I've never had any trouble out of any of it. The mamba max has a lot of settings, and super easy to set up, comes with a disc and cable to hook up to your computer and has drop down menus for all the settings. Works on up to 14.8v. I don't have as much experience with their motors, but would imagine they are good quality. They do have a new mamba max pro coming out, looks a bit different, not sure what all the specs are. If I was racing that is what I would use. The traxxas is dependable, runs cool and for just playing around the yard I don't think it can be beat. It is a lower rpm/kv motor, so it really shines with more volatage, pretty much all I play with is 11.1 v lipo and up. Like I said I don't know much about the novak, really because I was very well pleased with the castle, and didn't really want to look elswhere. Even If i had more money to spend on it, I don't know that I would get something else.

Volumiza
Approved Member

Post by Volumiza »

cheers for the suggestions, the gtb 6.5 was the one i was hovering around and hoop, you may have swung it. my old runner is a liitle sedate and i was really after something with more bite.
"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers!" The late great Bob Monkhouse 1928 - 2003.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

A 6.5 might be a bit much for a vintage 2wd car. You can get a LOT of speed from a 7.5 or an 8.5 and if you plan on racing it, or even running it on a track, I'd lean toward a 7.5 for a 2-wheeler. That's just me. Oh, and gear the snot out of it. :D

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Not sure what your ride is, but I agree for offroad 2wd a 6.5 is insane. Not that there's anything wrong with insane. :mrgreen: The nationally competitive drivers I know typically use 7.5 or 7.5 lights and rarely open them all the way up on modern rides (well at least on medium sized indoor tracks, outside they tend to run those big smelly loud, and slow :lol: , things). The light versions (Novak still) have similar top end speed with a little less acceleration. If you do go 6.5 or faster, be sure to use high quality batteries, the differences really become pronounced with hot motors.

And you're going to need some responsive steering. Consider the Futaba brushless stuff, such as the BLS451. The speed ratings aren't as impressive as the fine KO FET and JR 8800/9100 choices, but in vehicle they are wicked fast. Jiggle the wheel in the pits and it almost seems like it's glitching the wheels jump around so quickly. Plus it's just cool to have a totally brushless ride. :D

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Don't have much experience myself with these. The LHS owner put the Novak 6.5 in a B3 and it can't really be run on the track. He has it tuned down to 20% and its still uncontrollable on anything dusty or loose. Now he's debating on puttin it into a Traxxas slash so the extra weight might tame it down but WOW...that b3 flew on the asphalt and yes at very high speed still pulled the wheels...without a very good landing. Ever see what a 100 foot slide on asphalt does to towers :mrgreen: ? One of the local experience guys in electrics recommended me trying out the SS series by Novak...more controllable for what we're running in but still really fast with the right batteries...but remember this is passed on info without any first hand experience. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you come up with. Thanx
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

is there really a noticable difference between the regular and spread spektrum versions of novaks ESC?(all other things on the car being equal)
I run spektrum module in a futaba radio and am looking at getting a 17.5 setup for the nats. they don't appear to package the spread spektrum esc with motors, so I would have to spend a little more to buy them separately. is it worth the extra $?
Thanks,

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Nope.

Unless you are racing at a level where they give you stuff to race with, it's a nice bonus, but not needed. If you get one and can, though, always take the added feature of SS.

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

Love my KO PROPO FET. 8)
Once you use one you will never be able to go back to anything slower!
-Patrick
Cars I collect... 959's, The Fox and Schumacher 2wd buggies. All the stuff I grew up with!

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I ran a LRP in my LXT it was great. now I have the Novak XBR Sport/EX 10.5 Brushless System in my T4 its a little fast for me. everyone at my track seems to like the Mamba systems they are very fast. the 5700 seems to be the ticket its fast but not to fast. I have friends one with the 5700 and one with 7700 they both trade wins back an forth. the 7700 is to much he tears up more stuff the 5700 is more consistent and fast.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Volumiza wrote:cheers for the suggestions, the gtb 6.5 was the one i was hovering around and hoop, you may have swung it. my old runner is a liitle sedate and i was really after something with more bite.
i dont think you would be happy with it honestly... i can see it being WAY to hot for a normal weighing rc10...

i would seriously check out the mamba max 5700 combo. with 2s its pretty sane but you can also use 3s lipo on when you want to not be able to control it. :wink:

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

Yeah Mamba Max is sweet, they've really got the sensorless thing sorted now it works great.

Volumiza
Approved Member

Post by Volumiza »

wow, advice overload hehe, i guess most of you are saying the same about the 6.5 so i'll definately take that on board. like i said, i'm a true novice on electrics :oops: . i'll mostly be running it on big wide open asphalt and gravel spaces, but there's an outside/dust track not too far from me which is cool.

I've been reading hooptys tuber ten post about batteries and B/L systems, so what battery would be best to match up with a 7.5 or an 8.5? can I go too far wrong?