Who is running an RC8B?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

Who is running an RC8B?

Post by RC104ever »

Wondering how you like it? Nitro or Electric? Been looking at some used ones and I was toying with the idea of going nitro for the first time with this buggy.
pros, cons?
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: Who is running an RC8B?

Post by kaiser »

i run an electric rc8be, love it. tough as nails.
the only issues i've had are slightly leaky diffs and bent front bones from silly landings.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

I don't "run" one, but will soon hopefully. I also have an RC8Be that is currently sitting without motor, ESC, or 4S batteries. I need to get the electronics purchased, body painted, and purchase a new charger and 4S batteries.

I'm very excited to try it out based on learnings from Kaiser as well as reading on the rctech boards. I did a few unnecessary upgrades on mine as long as I was building it which has pushed the cost up (RPM arms, FT steering knuckles, FT rear hub carriers, FT front and rear chassis braces).

phoenix
Approved Member

Post by phoenix »

I run a nitro RC8B - really like how easy it is to drive & jump. Use it only 3 times a year or so, base setup is good starting point, very neutral chassis.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

ditto that, set it up box stock and go from there, it's a very good starting point.

i like a lighter oil in my rear diff, thats my only change for the most part.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Okay, since you guys have them - I'm curious about a few things:

why is it that the kv of the motors are so much 'smaller'. In the 8th scale world, a 2200 kv motor is a big motor, but in 10th scale, its not big, unless you are running a rock crawler I guess.

You guys mentioned a 4S lipo. Holy crap, is that right? That could explain the kv issue above.

Now, about nitro. I know nothing about nitro at all except that it looks interesting and I'd like to try it. Mostly for the 'annoy the neighbours and area pets' factor :lol: How do you identify engine sizes? I'm guessing there are different blends of fuel? Do you have to do 'oil changes' or is the oil blended into the fuel? What's a bump box? Is it generally more expensive to run a nitro vs. electric, all else being equal?
- Chris

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Yep, 4s lipo. You can run a pair of matched 2s inline with each other but not all batterys run down the same. I want to go to 4s since its easier. One of my lipos would always be dangerously low on voltage and other had a long way to go.

Nitro is cool. I don't know if its as fast as what brushless has brought about...will find out when the weather comes about this summer :wink:

Nitro you would need a nice .21 or larger motor. Easy enuf but you get into some of these fancy mills and you are looking at twice a fancy brushless system. I've got an FTRC8 sitting here right now next to my rc8be that is waiting for money to decide if its going brushless or not. The nitro can get expensive if you run alot. When we fun run I could burn a gallon of fuel a night and at $30/gallon it can add up fast. Last time I ran hard I ran thru 2 gallons on a saturday :shock: . Oil is blended right into the fuel so no oil changes or anything like that. I used Odonnell 20% and 30% because BITD Odonnell was one of the few that were consistant with their blends but most fuels have come a long way since then.

A bump box is a starter box with a rubber wheel inside on a motor. When you push down on the box it hits the flywheel on the motor spinning it enuf to start it. That is if you have it set up good it will line up...I used handheld bumpstarters since I ran a lot of different things and a bump box was pretty one modeled if you had it set up with pins to line up the flywheel. Towards the end I ended up with a few bump boxes that I stripped the allignment pins out of so I could use it for multiple trucks/buggys.

If you have the disposable income to try it nitro can be fun. Big difference though around here is the weather changes. If I had 4 hours to run and I spent an hour to get it tuned to the drastic weather change (or longer in some cases) that meant that much less time running. If you like to tinker Nitro is fun. If you have a short fuse...nitro will make you choose a different hobby :mrgreen:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Goatless
Approved Member

Post by Goatless »

Klavy just about summed it all up for ya. 8)

I'd also like to add that nitro is VERY tedious work. Air filters, glow-plugs, and as he said, fuel and a quality pipe come into play. There are numerous .21 motors out there. RB Concepts and Novarossi are just 2 of the very good, high-end engines available that I used to run when I ran with the RC ProSeries. Your looking at $350+ for one of these, as opposed to a cheap Hyper motor or equivalent. The Italian motors are very well built IMO.

Your biggest foe with Nitro will be TUNING!! :? It is an art form to say the least. Proper break-in and temperature are key in the longevity of your nitro motor. (btw, you will need a temp gun). Hands on is the best tool in this, as I used to get plenty of power and torque running at about 200 degrees. Rarely, unless in a 30min or hour main, did my engine run 250. Outdoor temperature and humidity are huge factors, as you will have to tune your carb EVERY time you run it. I used to love nice cool nights when I could really lean the lil guy out and take a triple with less than a 10' approach....GEEZ, I MISS racing!!! :lol:

Hope some of this info. helps. Please don't get discouraged, nitro is awesome!!! If you ever need any help or advice, I'll be glad to help.
"I'm like the fat girl at the prom, just glad to be here!!!

Southern Fried Racing : The Sequel

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Hey thanks for the info guys. I'm not shy of tuning (I work on my own cars at home) but to be honest when I go to run a car, I want to just go ANSI hate it when something isn't working as I don't always have a lot of time so I'm thinking nitro might not be a good option for me. Maybe when I retire, lol

Someone needs to make a fuel injected computer controlled engine - then I will sign up!

Thanks again for the info
- Chris

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Chris,
That is the same reason for why my nitros sit :wink: . One of the guys I used to run with made a complete switch over to Electric when brushless was just beginning. He sold most of his nitro stuff that was sitting and will be selling most of the rest except his 1/8 scale buggys. He made one day a week where he would run his Ofnas and kept to it. Brings it around once in awhile and runs with the LHS owner and some of the regulars. Thats why I have been on the fence about converting the roller I have over to electric since I already have my daughter's rc8be. Goatless finished up with a few good points about a good tuned pipe and temp gun and about the only thing I'd recommend if you did decide on it just for fun is I stopped buying used motors. Seems no matter what I'd end up with someone else's headaches that ended up costing me more money in the long run than a new motor.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the nitro buggys and truggys cannot keep up with my 1900kv 4s powered rc8be. not even close.

Goatless
Approved Member

Post by Goatless »

Absolutely, NEVER buy a used motor!

You are right Kaiser, impossible to hang with a 1/10 4wd buggy, brushless or mod motor. They are just too nimble and quick in the right hands.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

except we are talking about 1/8 scale cars here. :wink:

Goatless
Approved Member

Post by Goatless »

Ah, electric 1/8 scale wasn't happening yet when I was racing. Still, I was getting tore up by those lil 1/10's. I demolished a few, I told the fella not to let me catch him! :mrgreen:

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Well I took the plunge and bought a used RC8Be roller. Looks like a nice clean one, got it for $295 shipped to Canada so I think it was a fair price.

Can't wait to get it!
- Chris