Happy with junk?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slim_chance
Approved Member

Happy with junk?

Post by slim_chance »

I kind of posted a little bit about this in another thread.

Although I do love opening a brand new rc and seeing it in all its shiney glory then taking it ,out running it, breaking it in, and pretty much beating it up. Or back when most of them you built out of a kit (actually miss doing that) I am really into looking for junkers,beaters,and former bashers that now go on unnotice and uncared for.
I take that rc that has been sitting in the bottom of a closet, up on a shelf, or just stuffed in a box and I buy them cheap and build what I want out of it (see " http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=25912 " for an example) I really enjoy doing this as a major part of my hobby. Maybe my handle should have been "rcjunkman".....

I actually post on CL from time to time that I am buying hobby rc junk. That is where most of my current collection came from.

Some of my friends think I am crazy because I like doing this because they go out and slap down a lot of money on brand new stuff and say its better to get a rtr and just run it. I usally tell them rtr bores me.

So my question is how many people here would be or are happy building from junk or spare parts more than just buying a new rtr? I know there has to be quite a few on here since we all pretty much deal with vintage rc's. Let's see some pics of the former dust magnents that you have breathed new life into.
Super phenominal cosmic plans! itty bitty bank account.

Procrastinators unite!......tomorrow.
My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Re: Happy with junk?

Post by PBR Allstar »

ehh,,, I get the heeby jeeby's when I get a clapped out car. I don't really do anything RC related besides race, so even my two vintage rides are built as top flight racers with current electronics, etc.

When I do have a "used up" car or old parts that no longer meet the racer standard, they go in the "old junk" box. Once every couple years I empty that box onto the table, take a picture, and post in the BST. At this point Klavenga either buys it, or misses it by one PM :lol: :lol: :lol:

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

I'm on your team, slim_chance.... the number of lots I've picked up over the years, of what 'normal' people would describe as a pile'o'crap.... would make most people's head spin. I'm more a rebuilder than a racer, so I love turning the odd p.o.c. into something nice. I won't say I go all the way of replacing all parts with brand new, but I do try to end up with a runnable vehicle.

Course, because of that, I do have a hell of a lot of 'stuff'... the number of old Schumacher parts I have, specifically for Cougars and Nitro 10s.... I'm NOT looking forward to moving!!!!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Oh yeah I love this thread.

I have known Alex since the very beginning and I can vouch for his collection of..um...well....crap :mrgreen: (and there's some good stuff in there too BTW :wink: )

Alex has been very kind to me over the years and he once sent me a parcel (amongst plenty of others) with this thing in it. This was to be my first attempt at an old PB Mini Mustang buggy. Believe it or not I actualy loved this darn thing. After numerous attempts at scrubbing the 'white house paint' with chemicals from the chassis spine it came up ok.

AND to prove that I really do appreciate the PB guru's help-

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i love old junk too, although i have been known to seek out old cars in excellent condition too.
all my cars are racers, but i enjoy the build more then anything else.
some of my vintage cars only get raced a couple of times a year, but it's all worth it IMHO.

i tend to stick to associated based cars, old losi's and old tamiya's (less and less these days, because i like to race), and kyoshos.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

slim, you and I are in the same boat...I love picking up the used/abused and put away wet stuff and putting a nice spit shine and polish on it. Makes it all worth it in the end.

From this:

To this:
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

The only 'new' cars I have I built when they were actually new in the early 90's. And have now been beaten up at least a little by me. Everything else is someone else's junk that I have restored, the closest thing I have to a new kit is my world's car which has been slowly being collected together with NIP parts (about 85%). The intention was just to restore it, but then you find a nib front wheel set, pick up new arms, new bulkhead, etc etc.

junk parts can be hit or miss, I like to find the stuff that turns up sweet after taking the layers of dirt and grime off.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

been there done that when you could get good deals on ebay.. id buy every lot and every rc10 that was a "great deal"(you would be suprised the great rcs i got on ebay for about $20). i got all my stuff delivered to my parents house where i just put my good deals in boxes.. then id buy up new parts on ebay, towerhobbies and rc10 talk.. ive oned over 200 rcs and have had over 80 at one time.. i got rid of some keeping only the coolest . still got over 60 but some still need a little work and alot dont have radio/electronics. i got enough to keep me busy so i pass on the junk now.. rtr stuff is my bag.. i have stuff to work on i dont want to build.. i just wish they made the team t4 b4 and sc10 rtr too

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Yep I bought a big lot of Hot Shot 2's . A big pile of junk .

I managed to build 3 of them from that lot. I did have to buy lots of bits to replace the broken items but still a good score from Trade Me in N.Z.

Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

Well one man's junk is another's goldmine... I'm in the same boat, I love bringing things back to life!

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Great thread! This is what really got me going in ths hobby the second time around. I bought this Pro-X on ebay for cheap and ended up with a nice car that I am proud of:
Attachments
P1020075 (Large).JPG
P1020162 (Large).JPG
P1020804 (Large).JPG
Gary

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

as my builds attest i love cobbling together cars from beat up runner and restoring cars some would label a junk donar car.

seems like restored trash cars have a ton more character to them as well which is a value in itself.

my lto chassis based on a traxxas srt

my gt'

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Gary your ProX came up a real treat! Job well done on that.

Back when the ProX was new to the scene I really would have liked one but for what ever reason there didn't seem to any in my LHS back then. I wouldn't mind one some stage down the track.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

PBR Allstar wrote: At this point Klavenga either buys it, or misses it by one PM :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: thanx Ford! made my night. The issue though is that your junk has been my treasures :mrgreen:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

slim_chance
Approved Member

Post by slim_chance »

I'm glad I started this thread I like where its going. I have had quite a bit of success with junkers. That's where cars like my widow rc10 (actually free) the Rus'buggy (cheap trade package deal with a tl01 thrown in) the corally sp10 ($25.00 complete sans batteries) and my ltx40 (10.00 missing tx) I will post picks of all the saved from scrap cars tomorrow.

I have also came up with some crap ones too. Exceed truggy ($30.00 with some bodies and a set of new sct wheels and tires) dang thing is plain crap. Hpi firestorm (15.00) upper deck is twisted front bulk head is snapped off and the fuel input was broken off of the carb. traded the engine for something I don't remember what. I'm not really big on nitros anyway. I will post pics of the should have been left alone ones too.
Super phenominal cosmic plans! itty bitty bank account.

Procrastinators unite!......tomorrow.
My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite