RC10 Newb with new toy (Pics Added!!)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sick70malibu

RC10 Newb with new toy (Pics Added!!)

Post by sick70malibu »

Hi guys,

Just wanted to post up and introduce myself and my newest project. I recently received an RC10 from a friend of mine who used to race them back in the day. When I got the old girl she was absolutely filthy and had a bent pan and broken A Arm and a broken shock tower. On the upside though she does have a set of MIP CVDs already installed. The first thing I did was tear it down and straighten the pan. While I was doing that I soaked the white plastics in simple green to try and bring them back to their original glory.

Currently she is almost completely assembled awaiting my decision on shock tower choice as well as electronics. I got lucky because my neighbor has an RC10B Graphite and had an extra A Arm and also gave me a brand new clear body. I'm going to try and make a new shock tower out of some AL plate that I have laying around from a previous project. Don't worry I will have pics coming along tomorrow for all to see.

-Andrew

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: RC10 Newb with new toy

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

sick70malibu wrote:When I got the old girl she was absolutely filthy
I love filthy girls! :mrgreen: Pics?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

sick70malibu

Post by sick70malibu »

I do have pics, I will upload them here in a minute, I was posting from my phone lastnight. I forgot to take a pic of when I got it at first before I gutted it because I was way to excited to start my new project lol.

sick70malibu

Post by sick70malibu »

Hopefully this is enough pics for everyone for now lol :mrgreen: My Favorite picture is the last one of the bunch I like how the shadows play a part in it. Today I will see if I can fab up my new shock tower out of some 6061 AL. But before that happens I'm gonna go do some rock crawling with my HPI Crawler King :twisted:

SFC K
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Newb with new toy (Pics Added!!)

Post by SFC K »

Looking good and it cleaned up really well, except for the tape job on the front shock tower. :lol:
Jeff

sick70malibu

Post by sick70malibu »

I know I know lol. I just wanted to see what it looked like all put together. I'm gonna try and make new today if not tomorrow.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Old RC10s never die; they just keep getting pieced back together... looks great! By the way, you can possibly save that shock tower with some epoxy and a little fiberglass tape, if you were so inclined. It won't be pretty, but you could make it strong enough.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Love the Perry the Platypus! :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

sick70malibu

Post by sick70malibu »

markbt73 wrote:Old RC10s never die; they just keep getting pieced back together... looks great! By the way, you can possibly save that shock tower with some epoxy and a little fiberglass tape, if you were so inclined. It won't be pretty, but you could make it strong enough.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot I think I have so fiberglass and epoxy stashed awa somewhere.

Thank you for all the kind words fellas. I'm new to these low to the ground speedy buddies. I'm used to my tall and ungodly slow crawler so please bear with me while I get accustomed to the platform.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

just buy a new tower, you can get them pretty much anywhere online.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ya know what......... pm me your address and i'll just send you a nice used one.

sick70malibu

Post by sick70malibu »

scr8p wrote:ya know what......... pm me your address and i'll just send you a nice used one.
Thanks!! That would be awesome! Once I get the shock tower sorted out its just a matter of electronics and wheels and tires. Which is my next question for the RC10 Gurus.

I understand that gearing makes a HUGE difference in the way a vehicle reacts in certain situation but I also know that the motor is a big factor as well. But Im still a major n00b when it comes the RC stuff and would love a couple hints or tips. :D The main goal for this build will be something that I can enjoy with a bit of bike track bashing and possibly a casual race or two with a few friends. I was thinking some along the lines of a 10T-15T motor possibly brushless? I have no idea, like I said I'm used to my crawler which at top speed is slower then walking pace....

sick70malibu

Post by sick70malibu »

IT LIVES!!!!!! Muahaha. I got everything put back together including electronics and had a chance to drive it around a bit this weekend :) For electronics I went with a HPI receiver that I pulled out of my crawler when I went to a 2.4 setup. The ESC is an older Novak Fusion Non reversible, which sends power to a Green Machine 27T. With the wore out foamy's on it there is plenty of sideways fun ;)

Right now I'm looking for some new wheels and tires so I can go try it out in the dirt and on some jumps.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

I think you just won the "quickest rebuild" title! Nice runner!

sick70malibu

Post by sick70malibu »

Thanks :) so far its incredible fun to drive. I just can't wait to get it in the dirt as well as paint the body. I still debating on what colors to paint it. Almost forgot to add that I ended up making a new front shock tower out of some 340 Stainless Steel that I had laying around. I have another piece that I will end up making a rear one out of.