Possibly got scammed on eBay Fox NIB

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

angus

Possibly got scammed on eBay Fox NIB

Post by angus »

OK guys, I purchased a NIB Fox after winning an auction on ebay - just over $400.

( a little history, I have 1500+ feedback 100% - he has 383 - and only 24 of those are sales, 4 of which are neg feedbacks)

Right away I'll admit after reading his feedback I was leery ( I want to state I was not accusatory in any way). Anyhow, just before paying I decided to send a nice note, something like "hello I just want to make sure this will be packed securely for shipping and to ensure it will be double boxed to protect the vintage box" - I get a response saying he will pack it nicely - then I get about 2-3 requests back to back asking when I will pay (I was at work all day and didn't want to pay over my phone)

I paid for it the next day (dec. 6) and waited a few days - I saw no tracking updated so I decided to message him - "can I get tracking info" - WELL! that is when it all started, this guy starts telling me I should have read the auction and saw it listed "parcel post" apparently that does not include tracking - OK he's got me there - although I come to find out it could have been added for $0.75 (delivery confirmation)

He then starts in telling me he lost his job and didn't want to sell his stuff but has to - he tells me he could not afford to pay the extra for tracking (he claimed it was $15 more) he is being very rude at this point and i am still trying to be civil ( I also know Ebay reads messages)

I tell him look, I feel for you, I know what it's like to be broke ( I sure do) - I tell him that if he would have simply asked for the $15 - I probably would have said OK - becuase I am not broke anymore and I spend more than that at starbucks (tried a little humor) . The arguing ensues for 5 messages or more at which point I completely back down and he still gives me a few kicks to the head - which I take.

He keeps on saying I am trying to make "unreasonable shipping demands" but I paid $30 shipping and I would think that a seller would want tracking on a $400+ item...

Now it has been 8 days since I paid - 10 since the auction ended and I message him - I ask how long he thinks it'll take, "it's been 10 days" I say - he comes back with a barrage of borderline insults and says "it's only been 8" (OK, he's right but I'm worried)

I ask him, "how long do you think should wait?"

He then goes back on these rants about filing harassment complaints against me and I am bothering him and what not - he goes on to say he is a good person and does not hurt people yet in the same message he calls me a "jerk" and tells me he is going to pursue me.

He says I should file a claim and get my money back

He says he will find a way to "get the car back from me" and if I "lie and leave negative feedback. he will "surely pursue this to the fullest" - it is TOTALLY not "required" to leave feedback.

Basically I want to know what others think, will I actually get it?

Am I a jerk here? I mean all I want is what I paid for...

What would you do?

askbob
Approved Member

Re: Possibly got scammed on eBay Fox NIB

Post by askbob »

I'd file a claim with paypal/ebay for item not received. Wouldn't wait another day.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Parcel post can take a good long while depending on to/from. I bought a T3 a week ago from Washington to Florida. Tracking info showed it departed Washington 3 days after being accepted. It has not yet been accepted in Florida. Just over a week total shipping time to date.

If you are like me with 100% feedback you are always concerned about receiving negative feedback. This guy sounds pissed and has nothing to lose as he already has negative feedback. Your Starbucks comment probably put him over the top. I would probably file a claim just to prevent receiving negative feedback.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I'd cut communications with the seller and wait it out, PP/eBay has you covered for 30-45days I think. Prepare to be disappointed with the transaction, but let yourself be surprised if it comes through without incident.

I don't think anything you've said on your side was out of line for a collector purchase, we can all be a bit fickle with purchases made to add to or complete our collections and we get excited about getting something you've been waiting for......for say 25years

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I would leave it as is for another ten days, and then raise a PP dispute if You haven´t received it by then.
Gone fishing

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I'd cut communications with the seller and wait it out, PP/eBay has you covered for 30-45days I think. Prepare to be disappointed with the transaction, but let yourself be surprised if it comes through without incident.

I don't think anything you've said on your side was out of line for a collector purchase, we can all be a bit fickle with purchases made to add to or complete our collections and we get excited about getting something you've been waiting for......for say 25years

+1

I just recently started selling on eBay and have done a lot of reading to find out how to protect myself. If I learn a lesson I would rather it not be on a $400 item.

That being said EB/PP will not side with the seller if they do not use delivery confirmation. Also I am pretty sure any item over $250 requires a signature otherwise they will side with the buyer in an "item not received" case.

USPS says parcel post delivery is within 14 days so even with tracking they wont look before that. I would wait 14 business days from when he says he shipped and file a claim with eBay. Then if the package ever does arrive you can resend the payment.
Self described chronic hobbyist

angus

Post by angus »

Thanks everyone, this is all good info!

I cannot believe that he would send it without delivery confirmation - I mean that is HIS protection too - and I am really sure he does not realize that. I think that just this morning he must have read through his comments and messages because he has sent a couple of nicer messages...

Still I cannot stop my mind from running on -

- Did he even ship it at all?

- Does he know something we don't know - I mean he's outright telling me to file a claim and get my money back (maybe he has a trick up his sleeve to prevent me from getting a refund?)

- Maybe he just wants to "use" the money for a while - since he is (by his own admission) "broke"

Thanks for the input everyone!

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

if its the guy i think he sold the same fox Nov-28..

angus

Post by angus »

longboardnj wrote:if its the guy i think he sold the same fox Nov-28..
jimmylovestoeatspam on eBay.

Yes, totally the guy - I bid on that auction too and stupid me, I just figured he must have had two - well he claims it was re-listed due to a non paying bidder now - thing is I would be able to see that in his "feedback left for others"

He is totally shady - I guess we shall see!

squirrelnutz
Approved Member

Post by squirrelnutz »

Ebay does a good job of protecting buyers. If you think this is a scam, I would open a case but do it before 45 days from the day you purchased the item or you're screwed. You'll get your money back if you've been scammed...don't worry. It would help even more if you paid by paypal.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

This guy is blowing smoke... As already stated, the buyers have way more protection than sellers. Especially if he doesn't provide delivery confirmation or tracking.

You will most likely not get the buggy, but you just need to file a case on the issue and you will get your money back. The string of obscene messages can and will be looked at, especially since it is a pretty good sum of money. That will just fortify your case. A bummer none the less.

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I would watch his auctions to make sure that he's not selling it again. As for the shipping time, the high volume of the holiday mail may delay the delivery.

As a seller, it's pretty scarry when your package isn't delivered. That happened to me on one of my first sales on ebay. I shipped it priority with all of the tracking and insurance. It was suppose to be jer husband's Christimas gift...but it arrived after new years. She could clearly see how I shipped and that the USPS dropped the ball on this one.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Any updates? The recap and how defensive he got immediately sends huge warning signs that he's already aware he's in hot water somehow, whether he plans to take your money, or he damaged it or misrepresented something.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

if you didnt get it yet i say its a scam, file with ebay

Orlinon

Post by Orlinon »

Brandon G wrote:This guy is blowing smoke... As already stated, the buyers have way more protection than sellers. Especially if he doesn't provide delivery confirmation or tracking.

You will most likely not get the buggy, but you just need to file a case on the issue and you will get your money back. The string of obscene messages can and will be looked at, especially since it is a pretty good sum of money. That will just fortify your case. A bummer none the less.
This, 100%.

Furthermore, IF he is genuine he is pretty stupid because if he can't prove the item was delivered (or even posted), you could just as easily say it didn't arrive, keep the item, file a complaint, get your money back and he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
An important lesson for ebay sellers: ebay always sides with the buyer, so you need to protect yourself as much as possible. That's why I always use a tracked service and religiously send tracking numbers and shipping notifications to buyers.

Edit:
angus wrote:- thing is I would be able to see that in his "feedback left for others"
It is there (it is positive though :? ):
DEADBEAT BIDDER! BEWARE! Bad Ebayer! Buyer:
Member id picchic15 ( Feedback Score Of 18 Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)
Dec-02-12 18:39
VINTAGE Tamiya Fox #58051 NIB Rare (#281026547303) -- View Item