Scorpion with modern cvd axles

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

73rscamx

Scorpion with modern cvd axles

Post by 73rscamx »

I am new to the site and thought I would share something I recently figured out, I was looking to find an alternate axle and dogbone set up for a runner scorpion I am building from extra parts, I did some measuring and research looking at every touring car manual I could find on line and came up with a CVD set up that fits the scorpion series cars perfectly, the conversion consists of four dura trax 5x10 mm flanged bearings, two jun fac wheel wideners, Hot bodies (HPI) RS4 pro 3 rear shiny cvd type axles that I found on ebay for $12.00 and two HPI 72111 axle shim sets, I was looking for an easy to find modern substitute for the vintage CRP universals, the best part about this conversion is it alows the use of almost any current HEX type 2.2 rear wheels and tires ( I used a set of tamiya holiday buggy re re wheels and tires)
cr 329.jpg
Attachments
cr 326.jpg
cr 324.jpg
cr 323.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Scorpion with modern cvd axles

Post by Coelacanth »

Nice mod ideas, thanks for sharing. I'm working on a Buffalo and working on a similar thing, trying to get modern, easy-to-find replacements to some very oddball Buffalo parts. Can you share a closeup pic showing those jun fac wheel wideners?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

73rscamx

Post by 73rscamx »

check out this link http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/jun51032.htmk I bought them here $27.99 they come in a set of four enough for two cars, Im gonna use my extra set for a runner Assault Im working on

Raman
Approved Member

Post by Raman »

Awesome! I was going to do this next, looks like you did the work already.

You can also use the Frog wheel adapters as well, that's what I'm using

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53913

Raman
Approved Member

Post by Raman »

What's the part number on the Hot bodies cvd, 61142?

73rscamx

Post by 73rscamx »

the part # is hot bodies 61139 $12.18 on the bay I bought like five sets the seller is rcboyz there is one set on there now, you can also use HPI 80838 but they are to exspensive for me I like cheap stuff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Raman wrote:Awesome! I was going to do this next, looks like you did the work already.

You can also use the Frog wheel adapters as well, that's what I'm using

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53913
Actually, the Frog adapters aren't axle extenders, they're just spacers that adapt from a cross-pinned axle to a 12mm hex. Those Jun Fac pieces are something different, with those long-reach nuts that bolt onto your existing axles through holes in the orange adapters--if I understand correctly.

One major issue preventing you from mounting modern 12mm hex wheels on the Buffalo is the lack of room on the inside, the chassis & shocks get in the way of any wheels except those with major negative offset. These days, it seems most modern wheels have all-positive offset and they all obstruct with the Buffalo's chassis. Once I've addressed the axle issue of the Buffalo (a whole other challenge that I'm close to solving), those axle extenders might work great.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

73rscamx

Post by 73rscamx »

I looked into the tamiya part before I went with the junfac it will work if you use the tamiya axle ( it reaches through the extender) with the stock scorpion dogbone, the junfac part gives you more flexibility because of the long reach nut, thats what allows the use of the cvd axle I used it makes up the difference in axle length the only thing you have to do is enlarge the hole in the wheel you use for the nut to slide through, I did not have any dog bones in my parts pile they are hard to find these days plus the CVD is far superior

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

This is my kind of thread, thanks for shearing :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Raman
Approved Member

Post by Raman »

73rscamx wrote:I looked into the tamiya part before I went with the junfac it will work if you use the tamiya axle ( it reaches through the extender) with the stock scorpion dogbone, the junfac part gives you more flexibility because of the long reach nut, thats what allows the use of the cvd axle I used it makes up the difference in axle length the only thing you have to do is enlarge the hole in the wheel you use for the nut to slide through, I did not have any dog bones in my parts pile they are hard to find these days plus the CVD is far superior
Can you post a pict just with the HPI CVD axle (without Junfac adapter or shims) I'd like to see how much shaft is remaining after before and after the cross pin

73rscamx

Post by 73rscamx »

Sure I can do it tonight

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

73rscamx wrote:Sure I can do it tonight
Also--any chance you could measure the CVD bone length from crosspin hole-to-crosspin hole? They look like they'd be too long for the Buffalo, which has rather short dogbones, but it's worth a look. :) I can't quite make out the part number on the header card in your first pic, the pic's too small. Thanks!

73rscamx

Post by 73rscamx »

to answer your question I believe the dimension is 52mm pin to pin, the axle part #is Hot Bodies #61139

73rscamx

Post by 73rscamx »

Here are some pics of the axle with shims and without
Attachments
Scorpion CVD 331.jpg
Scorpion CVD 2 332.jpg