VINTAGE RC10 WHEEL/TIRE UPGRADE SUGGESTIONS

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JMKVintage

VINTAGE RC10 WHEEL/TIRE UPGRADE SUGGESTIONS

Post by JMKVintage »

Can I get opinions on the best modern wheel/tire upgrades for my old RC10? I'm running HPI 2.2 with proline dirt dawgs but the big 2.2 's on the front seem too much for the skinny front axles and the steering mech. Lots of excessive wobble/shimmy (I think its the wheels/tires but maybe something else?). I don't really want to go back to the classic skinny front buggy wheels but something in btw maybe? Suggestions? Can you include the necessary adaptor info? links? Thanks

jwscab

Re: VINTAGE RC10 WHEEL/TIRE UPGRADE SUGGESTIONS

Post by jwscab »

what kind of hpi 2.2 wheels are you running? are you running wheel bearings?

jcracing of UK sell drop-on 2.2" wheels for rc10. the price is for a set of 4, and reasonable. look good too.

the standard rc10 steering system is a little wobbly and will loosen over time. might want to consider upgrading it as well to tighten up the front end.

-Joe

JMKVintage

Post by JMKVintage »

Thanks Joe, I'm running the 5 spoke 2.2 truck wheels (and sorry it's with the proline dirt works truck tires) with adapters that I bought bearings for. What size r the jc wheels? Tire recommendations for em'? (off and on road/combo) I did upgrade the steering set up except for the servo (I wondering if that could that be the problem?)

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I did a conversion to run traxxas erevo 1/16 wheel/tire combo on mine, really really aggressive. need to make a body paint job that matches.

as to your front axle issue, I did end up changing mine b/c the first wreck i had with the inline axle sheered it. I got some axles off ebay and with a modified b4 carrier and caster block, got it to work. The carrier sits really close to the rim though.

JMKVintage

Post by JMKVintage »

DMAT I really like those traxxas! how did you do the conversion/where'd u get the parts?

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

rccarbonworks.com has an extended rear axle kit. it runs a 3/16 axle, you'll need to get a set of bearings to go with them, they have what size is needed on the axle's page. from there, you can run the 12mm hex's from traxxas, I just took the plastic set i had from my rustler and it slides right on axle. You'll have to get a pin for the axle. I really dont know the size needed for the pin in the axle. I ended up taking a small nail from a hardware kit I had and cut it down to size. I know there is some spacing issues going on, I'll have to see how i did that when i get home later. One thing i can say is that the stock nut tightens on these axles and it barely fits into the opening of the wheels. fully tightening them could scratch the rims. I'm gonna be looking for an alternative to this.

for the fronts, I will say it took some heavy modification to get them to work. Too much done to explain out. Im still trying out new ways to make it work right. You will up needing to find a hub carrier that isnt inline with the axles to use a solid axle, you can find on ebay. One of the annoying things i found is that the wheel's opening is usually too small to slide far enough back on the axles and you barely have room to tighten the nut which ends up binding the wheel too. I did end up reaming out the wheels some to slide farther on the axle since the 12mm hex holds it true to the axle. I'm gonna try out a 12mm bearing in the hex opening and a thrust bearing on the outside to see if i can make it less restrictive. I did have to ream the 12mm hex adapter on the inside just slightly so its not tight on the axle like it was on my rustler. On the rustler, the axle used bearings in the hub to free it up vs bearing in the wheel on the rc10.

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »

for a good out of the box fit i used these and after a drive today i can say they are sweet
custom works 6335 front tires
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZHE

on road driving the car runs like its on rails

and off road it keeps on screaming

you can see waht the look like in my build here
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30514&start=15

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I believe the custom works wheels are 2.0", just fyi.

the jc racing wheels fit any rear 2.2" tires. the fronts are old school narrow, but 2.2" so a typical 2-3 rib tire works well, some of the newer 'wide body' front tires end up bulging.

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »

yea they are small

but its a way to get the old school buggy look with avail rims/tires

i dont think the 2.2 fronts look right on the old 10's

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

ok, the only spacer i had on the rear wheel was one of the old bearings so that nut is pushed farther out and can be fully tightened. it was on the outside of the wheel. the inside had the grey traxxas hex adapter.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I'd like to see more close up pics of how you did the rear Traxxas wheels DMAT. I always wanted those wheels on mine.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

http://rccarbonworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=108

here is the url for the axle kit that I used on the rear. with 3/16x3/8 bearings, it goes right in the stock carrier. The red spacer you see is included with the axles. Next is the gray hex adapter traxxas uses. you can see from the front of the tire, the bearing i used as a spacer is now sorta stuck after repeat tightening of the nut, and with the last picture, you see where the nut sits fully tightened.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-WHEEL-AXLE-Wide-Track-Adapter-Tamiya-5x11-Bearing-to-RC10-RC-Team-CRP-1557-/350692174706?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item51a6e1eb72

now for the front axles. As i said before, heavy modification. I used the axles in the link above, in combination with the b4 carriers and caster block. I reamed out all the holes where the kingpins went since the b4 ones are smaller and so i can keep using the stock king pins. I had to grind the back of the carriers down so i could use the eclip to secure the axle in. I probably could have avoided that by using the B4 axles. The length of the axles do matter since the wheels need to be pushed out some. The come extremely close to interfering with the carriers.

If you look at the picture. I think i have a 1/16 washer there then the black traxxas hex adapter. the spacing works just right to allow the wheel to sit on the axle right at the edge before the threads start. If you use these wheels, you need to ream the inside of the wheel out to accommodate sliding on the axle past the threaded area, otherwise it wont. after that, just the basic traxxas wheel nut will work on this and fits snugly in the hole.