RC10 Worlds/Team/Modern Hybrid runner build - UK

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Worlds/Team/Modern Hybrid runner build - UK

Post by flipwils11 »

Will be interested to see how the Tekin 10.5T motor does for you! Nice collection of parts you have for this build.

rc10uk
Approved Member

Post by rc10uk »

A little more progress after the main donor car arrived.

1. Shocks have been changed over to the better set and rebuilt with new o rings. No leaks so far and pretty good action. The springs are a black set off a b4.1 rtr kit I think.

2. The Fibrelyte bits have all gone on, Front / Rear shock tower, battery brace and transmission brace.

3. The white heavy duty RPM ball ends/cups have been swapped out for some black associated ones which are slightly less bulky and don't rub or bind on compression and full steering lock like the RPMs did initially.

4. RPM back shock bottoms added but have decided not to dye any white parts as I like the two tone look.

5. JC Racing wheels have been put on, black for now.

6. The nylon wing has been mounted with black buttons.

7. The rear battery brace had to have a little bit of the bottom removed to allow 5300 Gens Ace Lipos to fit in.

8. Nice bits that came with the donor car that have been left on, Lunsford titaniums, RPM arms all round, MIP CVDs, Black RPM Steering kit.

9. Electrics, a Savox 1251 servo and Ko Propo 2.4 RX have been added, I have picked up a very cheap Nosram Matrix Evolution for £15 ($30 ish) to start with and will be putting this and the Tekin 10.5 Redline in soon.

10. Bodywise still umming and arring what to do, though as this is going to be a racer and I don't want to have to keep taking off the wing, I think it will be trimmed at the rear shock mount, with velcro tabs and a single body post off the right hand RPM steering post. Also still waiting for a repo gear cover to arrive from TBG which was the only place I could find them, not sure they will come with the rubber slipper entry lug though.

11. I'm also waiting for some Xray T3 alloy servo mount posts to arrive, these are thin in profile and will allow me to use them in front of the low profile servo, and get the steering link pretty much dead in centre.

Really enjoying the build anyway...

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

what tires do you have on the JC racing wheels?

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

flipwils11 wrote:Will be interested to see how the Tekin 10.5T motor does for you! Nice collection of parts you have for this build.
It should be alright, I ran an 8.5 in mine a few weeks ago. :mrgreen:
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

jwscab wrote:what tires do you have on the JC racing wheels?
proline wide 5's up front (kinwald - 93 worlds), not sure on the rears.

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

That looks great!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

rc10uk wrote:A little more progress after the main donor car arrived.

1. Shocks have been changed over to the better set and rebuilt with new o rings. No leaks so far and pretty good action. The springs are a black set off a b4.1 rtr kit I think.

2. The Fibrelyte bits have all gone on, Front / Rear shock tower, battery brace and transmission brace.

3. The white heavy duty RPM ball ends/cups have been swapped out for some black associated ones which are slightly less bulky and don't rub or bind on compression and full steering lock like the RPMs did initially.

4. RPM back shock bottoms added but have decided not to dye any white parts as I like the two tone look.

5. JC Racing wheels have been put on, black for now.

6. The nylon wing has been mounted with black buttons.

7. The rear battery brace had to have a little bit of the bottom removed to allow 5300 Gens Ace Lipos to fit in.

8. Nice bits that came with the donor car that have been left on, Lunsford titaniums, RPM arms all round, MIP CVDs, Black RPM Steering kit.

9. Electrics, a Savox 1251 servo and Ko Propo 2.4 RX have been added, I have picked up a very cheap Nosram Matrix Evolution for £15 ($30 ish) to start with and will be putting this and the Tekin 10.5 Redline in soon.

10. Bodywise still umming and arring what to do, though as this is going to be a racer and I don't want to have to keep taking off the wing, I think it will be trimmed at the rear shock mount, with velcro tabs and a single body post off the right hand RPM steering post. Also still waiting for a repo gear cover to arrive from TBG which was the only place I could find them, not sure they will come with the rubber slipper entry lug though.

11. I'm also waiting for some Xray T3 alloy servo mount posts to arrive, these are thin in profile and will allow me to use them in front of the low profile servo, and get the steering link pretty much dead in centre.

Really enjoying the build anyway...

assuming your going to be running on turf/ carpet, I have a couple quick points-
The AE heavy ball cups are garbage, go back to the rpm ones, or you'll be side-lined a lot.
The RPM suspension arms flex a bunch on high-traction, changing the handling through the corners-

Car looks great!

rc10uk
Approved Member

Post by rc10uk »

Thanks chaps.

Will see how the AE ends go, can always switch back but the bulkier rpm ones can sometimes bind on the lunsford turnbuckles when the suspension is under load at some steering angles. Hence putting some old AE ones on for now.

The car will be run on a old school proper offroad track grass and dirt jump, so not high grip as normally typical with uk scene at mo.

The tyres came in a job lot, the fronts are Proline as scrap says, the rears are softish minispikes, similar to Schumacher minispikes yellows or greens but they are not stamped or branded. They were cheap so bought the lot as practice tyres at least!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

cool, thanks for the info, was just curious if it was a readily available tire on the rear.

rc10uk
Approved Member

Post by rc10uk »

Think they may be fairly old jwscab, as the others included NIP old prolines etc. However these are very similar to readily available Schumacher Minispikes Yellows (2.2 diameter though). Can you get Schumacher tyres Stateside?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yep, we can. those are probably old proline 8000 series tires. I have a similar set with no markings also.

rc10uk
Approved Member

Post by rc10uk »

Thanks for tyre info jwscab.

rc10uk
Approved Member

Post by rc10uk »

Just about ready to go now. In the end I swapped out the newly powder coated chassis the donor came with for a slightly used one as the offroad track it's destined for will do that to it after a few laps anyway. Also the almost mint shocks have been taken off for a slightly marked set again, didn't seem much point in marking up the really good condition parts in a racing environment until had to.

Electrics to start with are a Nosram Matrix Evo Esc and a Tekin Redline 10.5 brushless motor. I've had to add 60-70g of lead to the nose to stop it lifting, even on the lowest power/smoothest setting on the esc. Not run in it anger yet, but feels very smooth and fairly rapid even conservatively geared. The radio gear is modern 2.4Ghz, so the aerial has been shortened down to a minimum to help prevent issues with bad landings and big jumps!

To start with, although I have a new TBG Mirage shell for it, I have repaired and put a few decals on the worst bits on the practice shell that came with the donor car. As it happens the black/white/green colour scheme matched the nylon wing and car fairly well. The TBG spur gear cover arrived, and I've used the rubber bung from a RPM B4 cover.

Been a lot of fun putting it together, thanks to those that have helped with various parts. Looking forward to racing it against some modern stuff.

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

Looks great! Would love to see some video! 8)
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

rc10uk
Approved Member

Post by rc10uk »

No video yet but there is a chap at club races who sometimes messes about with video camera on his gyro copter so will let know if appears in any of them.

Have some white b2 rear wheels coming too so can share my b4 fronts across both cars now too.