shock shaft ends.

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DMAT
Approved Member

shock shaft ends.

Post by DMAT »

and idea on how to remove the ends on the shafts. Ive tried using pliers to hold the shaft as hard as possible and turn the other side with another set but no matter how hard I squeeze or turn. Nothing budges?

My guess now is that there locktite on it but I cant see any sign of it.

This is coming from preassembled shocks so im not sure what to do. Just trying to get the ends off.

If I want to do custom ends. would I be looking at doing a full assembly from nothing?

jwscab

Re: shock shaft ends.

Post by jwscab »

if pliers won't work, you can use a set of side cutters to grab the shaft right above the rod end, preferably right near the threads. It will bite in a little bit and hold it for you, just don't squeeze any harder than you have to. If it's that stuck you might end up ruining the shaft, just fyi.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

at moment I disassembled the shocks and am grabbing the shaft by the opposite end. I get what you mean by destroy b/c its definitely scratched up on the end but when assembled. you cant see that end of the shock.

I probably wont end up using this pair of shock since its way too long. I bought a set of GT shocks based on looks thinking i could make them work some how but with my current towers. they wont work on the intended build. Which front tower should I use if i want to run it? I'm looking at rccarboworks.com for the tower.

on a side note now. I tried doing an eye to eye measurement on the shocks and im getting 63mm for the front and 89mm for the back. now my question is if i buy another set. Should I go shorter or longer. I can get a 65mm in the front and a 90mm in the rear and limit them. Or go 5mm shorter on both and use the natural length as a limiter. I could also use the closer mounting holes to make up more of the length difference.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

not sure what your application is but since I'm going to assume associated shocks, here is the normal break down that I know.

the B4 and B44 use .89" front, 1.18" rears.
the T3/T4 uses 1.02" fronts and 1.39" rears.
rc10 uses .56" or .71" fronts, and 1.32" rears
rc10b2/b3 uses .89" front, 1.32" rear.
rc10t and t2 used 1.02" front and 1.32" rear.
rc10gt I think is the same a T4 at 1.02" front, 1.39" rear.

for an rc10 buggy, you want 1.32" or 1.18" rear shocks. you can use standard tower for 1.32" or a lowered tower for 1.18" shocks.

for the front you can use .56", .71" .89" or 1.02" depending on the front tower you pick. typically you use .71" most of the time for later cars, but with an aftermarket 'long' tower you can use the .89". the 1.02" shocks are often used with the WOIN (what's old is new) setups using the truck noseplate.

now, based on those selections, you need to choose the appropriate shock shaft and spacers. the 1.32" rear shafts on the rear require a large spacer (5/8") to set the length. using the 1.02" shafts in the rear shock requires a much shorter spacer.

the same applies for the front shocks. You should pick which sets you prefer to use, and then look in the rc10 manuals to see what the baseline spacers would be, and then adjust to suit your ride height preference.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

DMAT wrote:..Which front tower should I use if i want to run it? I'm looking at rccarboworks.com for the tower.
No one currently makes longer front towers for a buggy kick-up that will let you use GT front shocks....RCCW only makes taller towers for the truck kick-ups used on a RPM Worlds/WOIN build. You'd need to find an old one from Andy's, A&L, JG or Jammin' Jay, or get one custom made.

Here's the Andy's that will let you mount 1.02" or 1.32" shocks to the front of a buggy nose plate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New-Andy-s-Front-Monster-Truck-Tall-Buggy-Shock-Tower-/321114153042?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item4ac3e52052&nma=true&si=0upMJpOYJIwNvbQMLpPNm1ig6fM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

guess i should have been more specific. what front tower accepts a 1.02" shock.

Was there a buggy style front tower that accepted a 1.02 front. I see the extended tower but im guessing thats to make the 0.71 shocks work. Otherwise ill use the rc10T front.

as to spacers. I've got that covered.

thank for finally explaining what (woin) means. These acronyms that people have been using have had me confused for a while.

Think if I order that front tower from carbon works, I might go ahead and order the carbon version of the gold pan they have too. I'd like to see how that looks.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

EDIT: I just repeated what Phin said because I didn't read it closely enough. you will have to keep your eyes peeled on ebay or have one custom made.

Alternatively, if you don't care about originality, I think you could probably work a traxxas blue eagle/LS/LS2 front tower to your needs. those trucks have a wide-ish front end that used a 'long' shock that was close to a 1.02" shock.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

DMAT wrote:guess i should have been more specific. what front tower accepts a 1.02" shock.

Was there a buggy style front tower that accepted a 1.02 front. I see the extended tower but im guessing thats to make the 0.71 shocks work. Otherwise ill use the rc10T front.
did you read the post right above yours?

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

my post usually take a lot time before they get added in. I mostly post when at work so I may start a post and not come back until an hour afterwards finish it and submit.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Decided to test a 3mm end on the shock shaft, just slide over like nothing was there. Gonna have to use the 4-40 ends on the other site. I'm gonna hope the description about it being 4-40 is right.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Aluminum-4-40-Rod-End-with-Steel-Ball-1_p_629.html