My Son's First RC10 Build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

olderacer
Approved Member

My Son's First RC10 Build

Post by olderacer »

I've been lucky enough to have been part of the rc hobby for about 25 years. I've built and raced more RC10's and Rc10 based cars than I can remember right now. Most of the cars I've had have been raced on dirt oval, but asphalt oval, carpet oval, carpet road course, and off road have all seen my cars. But my son has never really had the chance to share this hobby with me mostly because he was too young to be interested and the only track in our area was not really a kid friendly place.
We've moved to a new state and it's time to get the work bench dirty again.
The plan is to build 2 nearly identical RC10's. I'll build one and he'll build the other. We'll take each step together and most likely have a great time. I know I'm very excited about this.
The cars won't be show cars for sure, they'll be runners with a capital R lol.
We're going to make them "Street Stocks", not buggies. We'll use McAllister Monte Carlo bodies and try to make them look like '80's nascar, since there is a small local carpet oval we can bash on.
We'll be using the longer off road shocks though and we'll try to keep them as close to stock as we can.
I'll try to post pictures and descriptions whenever possible. Any suggestions are welcome and I'm sure I'm going to ask questions eventually.

olderacer
Approved Member

Re: My Son's First RC10 Build

Post by olderacer »

I'm not sure where the picture of the car I've uploaded has gone but I'll keep trying to post them.
His car so far has the tub cleaned, the 10T nose plate and fron bulkhead, a T2 front tower and a Carbon Works worlds rear tower and stock rear bulkhead.
We'll do the team truck shocks and a stock 2.25 stealth with a slipper eliminator. I'll have to get some diff lube first. His car also needs turnbuckles ordered, but some Dynotech Klien arms are in the mail as well as CVD's and wheels and tires.
The other car has the same but a Carbon Works worlds front tower instead of the T2 one and it'll have some older delrin Klien arms made by Klien.

vintagercaddict
Approved Member

Post by vintagercaddict »

Good to read up that your son has taken an interest into r/c! Esp.. The rc10! Posts pics when you can!

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Very cool, how old is your son?
My 5 year old is helping me build his first RC10, a DS. He's still a bit young to build it up right but we're having fun.

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

My son is 14 years old. He's very excited about building these cars. Whenever I walk into the kitchen, which is where the door to the garage is, he askes me if I'm going into the garage to work on the cars lol. The mailman can't possibly get his parts here fast enough.
I think the firewall we have on this computer is keeping me from posting pictures, I'm at work. I'll try to post some tonight from home. Not to much to show yet except a dirty work bench, e-clips everwhere lol.

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

Here are the two cars so far.
The badly beaten one on the left is the one I'm building and the one on the right is what my boy has been building.
I purchased these from a guy I used to race with in the early 90's. The one on the right was in great shape, but it was an RC10DS. I parted out the DS specific stuff a few years ago. The beauty on the left however was a mistreated RC10T. The chassis has a couple slits cut into the bottom and is scraped up horribly on the bottom from being tormented on the asphalt. The nose brace tubes and noseplate were bent and had to be replaced. I don't have any RC10T steering bellcranks so I opted for a short wheelbase on both of these.
I also purchased a RC10CE from the same guy in excellent shape. That'll be the next project, I have some Andy's arms from another purchase for that one.
As soon as we get some diff lube those two 2.25's will be finished and installed too.
Attachments
IMG_20130521_190846.jpg

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

Dynotech arms came and so did the Customworks cvd's, rear hubs, and wheels/tires.
We went to the carpet bullring last night to watch the pan cars, but I'm sure we'll be wrenching tonight.

pj_elia

Post by pj_elia »

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. My son is 10 years younger than yours and will be sticking to using my first RC car that I brought back to life, a tamiya Boomerang. He'll have to graduate at some point to an RC10 though, I'm worried he may want the newest Traxxas RTR by then :?

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

We got some tires in the mail!
Attachments
street tracks bagged.jpg

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

And some CVD's!
Attachments
cw medium bone bagged.jpg

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

And some arms!
Attachments
dynotech bagged.jpg

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

His
Attachments
sons with arms.jpg

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

Mine
Attachments
mine with arms.jpg

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

And ours as of today.
We're waiting a the mail for some diff lube and new bell cranks.
We're waiting to see if the hobby shop gets the bodies and stickers we ordered. And we're hoping they'll get some body posts in stock too.
Attachments
2 rc10's 5-26.jpg

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

We've had some set backs with these cars.
I've been waiting for parts from the local hobby shop for quite awhile... and they still have not come in. I don't think they've really ordered anything for me. Looks like I'll be an online buyer.
I've also been told that these cars won't be allowed on the carpet track... because of the metal chassis. We can run a graphite chassis though. I'm not sure about that logic...
I did get to take some laps with my Putnam Apex. I let my son drive it most of the day there. He had a blast.
I think I'll be building these two cars as off road buggies now. I don't want my son to lose his excitement for building and running them.
I have a gold pan car that I may look for a graphite chassis for. Then i could put a street stock body on it and let him practice on the carpet with it.
I'm off to the "Old is New" thread to get some ideas for these two runners.
Attachments
IMG_20130603_063041.jpg