First Vintage RC10 - Team Car Rebuilds - FINAL PHOTOS ADDED

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Percymon
Approved Member

First Vintage RC10 - Team Car Rebuilds - FINAL PHOTOS ADDED

Post by Percymon »

Whilst waiting for the RC10 Classic release I thought I'd better have a dabble with an older RC10 to get a feel for these things.

The UK isn't exactly overwhelmed with used examples, and its never economical to buy from the USA (shipping costs plus import duty, handling fees and taxes :? ). Despite these barriers, it didn't take too long to find a UK ''RC10 Team Car ''- the seller wouldn't end the auction early so I had to sit it out, and with a final second bid, it was mine :)

So this is the start point..

nothing spectacular but not too bad a basis for a reasonable runner. It arrived with a forward only period Gold Star ESC, Acoms RX and servo - all pretty typical fare at the time. It also came with the correct Reedy motor, a handful of spares, a MIP steering assembly and some (not so) great 'spiked' tyres...

Those with a keen eye for these thing will notice the incorrect shocks and even keener eyes will spot the milled chassis tub and 'lightened' front section :(

As usual, it didn't take me long to decide that I wouldn't be happy just cleaning and rebuilding it as a capable performing, but perhaps somewhat tired looking, runner. So despite the issues with the chassis originality/authenticity I carried on regardless - heck if you throw a load of money at something it can always be fixed :( :(

A new Viper body and wing set were acquired from Tower Hobbies, and sent to Jon Millar for painting in the correct Team Car scheme that was used in their marketing campaigns of the time. The first body i've farmed out to someone else to paint and well, I think it was worth it...

Whilst the body was away with Jon i set about finding the correct shock absorbers, which resulted in me sourcing NIP sets for front and rear, thankfully at nothing like the original header card prices :mrgreen:

At this stage the car was still in one piece, awaiting full inspection and strip down.

Uh oh, this rebuild was starting to look like another percymon ''rebuild it and never run it'' project , which was not what i wanted really :roll: :roll:

Scouring eBay one night resulted, by chance, in another RC10 Team Car chassis being acquired. I hadn't had a drink, honest :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So the plan is now to build one chassis as a runner, the other as a shelfer.

The shelfer will get the most original chassis tub, the best parts from the two chassis, with an aim to keep things reasonably original in the rebuild process. However as I won't be surfing the net for years looking for hard to find parts at silly prices, a few compromises will be inevitable.

What about the runner ? The plan is to build it up with some non standard parts, and more importantly USE it [:lol:]

Chassis #1 is now stripped down and it's clear the chassis tub was an original that was milled by a previous owner - quite well done, but rather extensive !

Chassis #2 is completely disassembled and all the white nylon parts are soaking in bleach outside in a location subject to full sunlight. The main T6061 aluminium chassis tub has a fair few scratches and a couple of dents that I'll need to rectify, but appears to be an original one with a B stamp which puts it in the middle of the Team car production period.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Re: My First Vintage RC10 - Team Car Rebuild

Post by REMJ666 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Those tires :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

REMJ666 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: Those tires :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
before global warning, we had harsh winters bitd :lol:

I dare say the previous owner wasn't the only one to try screws or tacks for winter traction. Whats done is done :cry:

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

The mill work on the tub is awesome!

You can use those rear tires to aerate the lawn :lol:

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

It would have sucked to get your foot run over...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

Bit more progress..

'Shelfer' - the alloy parts from chassis 2 are away at the anodizers. The nylon parts have been soaking in peroxide and are improving in colour; sadly its not been the sunniest 7 days so I'll give them another day or so.

'Runner' - the 'break through' areas from the previous milling of the chassi tub and nose plate have been plugged with JBWeld metal, then sanded back, etch primed and repainted matt black. The nylon parts are yet to be cleaned and whitened though. I had a spare Pro-Tech body which was painted over the weekend - needs a little finishing but generally happy with it considering my limited skills at painting :| And some carbon fibre parts arrived from fibre-lyte at the weekend :D

I have a few more parts inbound from the USA, so hopefully the postman will be kind to me this week :)

Priority now is to get the second lot of nylon parts through the peroxide/UV treatment and sort the whole lot into shelfer and runner items.

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

Still waiting on another parts order from Tower Hobbies (strangely the first half of the order arrived last week) and another order with Apex Models here in the UK.

Second lot of white nylon parts are now in the peroxide bath, hopefully next week I can do some rebuilding.

In the meantime I've painted the runner body - still some details to do like the window netting, but I'm reasonably happy with my efforts as i'm not the most patient or skilled of painters..

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

I like the color scheme..Vintage

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

X2 GO GATORS!!!

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

I've tidied up the runner chassis tub and repainted black, looks pretty good now without being too good that i'll shy away from using it.

the shelfer chassis tub is on its way back from the anodizers, the one pic i have gives me hope its a tidy outcome.

various small parts are arriving every few days, but I'm waiting on a package from Tower Hobbies currently which means I can't really progress any part of either build. Hopefully middle of next week i can make some progress.

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

Well some good news - the package from Tower Hobbies has turned up (after paying the customs import charge) and another few parts sourced locally are with me too.

The re-anodized chassis is back and I'm happy with the result. All old parts are now out of the peroxide treatment and sorted into 'shelfer' and 'runner' boxes ready for the rebuild.

Tomorrow will hopefully be the start of the runner chassis assembly :mrgreen:

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I'm anxious to see!

These restorations are fun. Very rewarding, and much easier/cheaper than real cars. MUCH.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

Been a few days and things have progressed quite a bit.

The 'shelfer' chassis is back from the anodizers - very respectable job for the £30 outlay, and whilst not 100% perfect, its a humungous improvement over the scratched and scored state it started as....

But that one is side lined until I finish the 'runner' - fibrelyte parts proved no more expensive than finding nice condition originals and for a runner are possibly better and certainly give a nice visual 'hop-up' :wink:

I repainted the runner chassis myself, again removing some of the previous score marks - I'm happy with this as if it was any better I'd be umming and arring about whether to use or not. And after a few hours input yesterday it's come together nicely. When the re-re parts become available next month i will swap the rear bulkhead out, but for now its good enough :wink: :wink:

I slightly uprated the slipper to the B3 one - I know it's only marginally bigger than the original, but at least parts are readily available..

stealth gearbox overhauled with new bearings, new ball diff internals and ceramic balls, new thrust washers and ceramic balls, new idler gear and new drive gear shaft... errrr, thats pretty much everything bar the casing and outdrives then :lol:

Front end awaiting the reinstall of the MIP steering bellcranks..

and a final underside photo..

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Hey, that milled chassis looks pretty cool!!

ra272
Approved Member

Post by ra272 »

Yeah very very cool chassis. 8)
Did you do that yourself?