The NOS RC10GT build begins!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

The NOS RC10GT build begins!

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

My other thread poofed, so I guess I'll start a new one to chronicle this build.

With the arrival of the chassis and a few other parts today, the build is underway. Gonna take some time and a lot of $$ to track down all the white parts, but it'll get there. For now, pretty much just a tub with motor mounts. I do have brand new 3-piece front wheels, and just scored NIP front bulk head and front & rear shock towers. Unfortunately, the vendor that had the transmission housing listed as white only has black ones :x

I know, small beginnings. Lol.

I'm bettin' this build goes North of $500 with engine, but it'll be a nice shelfer when finished!
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: The NOS RC10GT build begins!

Post by RC10th »

I'd take that and double it. Arms alone will set you back $30 a pr if you buy now and things I've never seen like white nip trans cases and rear bumpers would go for anyones guess. I'll be following this thread :D
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

DHood
Approved Member

Post by DHood »

A new white trans case just sold on the bay for big $$$. Good luck finding a new white rear bumper, I've been looking for one for years. White servo mounts and spur gears are a rare birds also

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I'd take that and double it.
Maybe. It's all about patience, though. I waited on the chassis tub, watched several go for $40, $50, then managed to get this one for $15.50. Just gave $30 shipped for the shock towers and front bulk head NIP.

I'm probably going to put it together with a lot of clean used parts initially, and just swap in new as I acquire it. I don't have the money to grab the first of everything I see. Yeah, there's a pair of rear arms NIP on eBay right now, but I won't pay $35. $15-$20, and eventually I find a set for that.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

If you are talking about the rear arms I'm thinking of that is axles, hubs, hingpins, the only think you won't use is the arm mounts. I thought it was a good deal I just don't need it

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote: Just gave $30 shipped for the shock towers and front bulk head NIP.
Just wanted to give you a heads up, and maybe you already know this, but the 10t rear shock tower is different from the gt rear tower. Luckily the towers arte pretty easy to find. The hardest parts to find are going to be the Rear arm mounts, transmission case, and the spur gear. They don't show up for sale very often. Rear bumpers are pretty rare (no pun intended) too. The rest of the stuff is pretty easy, you'll just have to pay for it.

I agree with your idea to use used parts and replace with new when available. It could take years to find all the new parts.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

If you are talking about the rear arms I'm thinking of that is axles, hubs, hingpins, the only think you won't use is the arm mounts. I thought it was a good deal I just don't need it
No, these are brand new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370814775257?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Much better deal here
Yeah, I'm gonna have to think about that one real hard. If it was a GT kit, it'd be a no brainer, but I can't use those arm mounts, and still need shock mounts.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Opinion question:

What engine do ya'll think I should plop in this? Gonna be a shelf queen, so aesthetics>performance. I'm leaning toward either a natural finish OS CV engine, or something with a black head, like the HPI motors. Don't care if it's pull start or not, but needs to be rotary carb and short crank. I actually like the look of the black SH engines, but they're all slide carb as far as I know.

What do ya'll think?

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Aesthetics as the priority it should be an early O.S. engine, O.S. 12CZR with the large black Duratrax head.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

For the shelf I kinda like the gold block heads for the OS .12s.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Well, it's coming along. Scored most of the parts I needed in the form of a mostly complete truck with black arms. Luckily, pretty much everything on it was in real good shape except the trans brace, which I found a nice used one from Valkyrie. Still waiting on a few pieces, but I do have an engine en route. Eventually I'd like to find a more period-correct motor, but for now, a brand new Picco .12 RC Speed I scored for $32 (still in transit) will look good sitting in it.

This was the chassis I found on eBay:

And this is where we're at after a couple cans worth of brake cleaner used for hand-scrubbing with toothbrushes and Q-tips, and a little more than a day in 20% peroxide:

Mostly new hardware, but I did re-use ball studs & turnbuckles. Ball studs got polished, turnbuckles wire wheeled and reblued. They look brand new, and this way we get to retain correct hex turnbuckles.

I also decided to use the universal joint axles that came with some arms/carriers/mounts I won for $5. I don't know that they were available circa '93/'94, but they look nice.

Incidentally, the white RC10T I scored for $50 as a parts truck ended up cleaning up real nice. I snaked the tires and rear wheels for the GT, but reassembled the rest of it. I might just build an electric shelfer, too!

Also found brand new Associated XP1903MG servos for $5/ea. I know they're not period correct, but they look nice, and get these things close to being 100% AE builds.

I'll do a full-on photo session when it's 100% done, just thought I'd update the progress so far.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Looks great! Hard to believe it is the same truck. The 10T looks pretty good too. Nice score on that. 8)

It's that a tower body or an original?

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Hard to believe it is the same truck.
Well, a lot of parts came from the used truck, but those are brand new front wheels, front arms, front bulk head, and of course, the chassis. The shocks came off the 10T, and the ones on the 10T now are a set that I got in pairs and rebuilt awhile ago. I just couldn't believe the condition of the tires & rear wheels on the 10T! They were filthy, but after a couple hours of scrubbing with purple power and dish soap, and the peroxide treatment on the wheels, they look friggin' new! And the shocks that came off the 10T are immaculate; tiny bit of scarring from a wrench on one side of each cap, but absolutely no spring wear on the bodies.

I also got really lucky on the white spur gear; it cleaned up to look like it just came out of the package. Trans case isn't quite perfect, but it'll do until I find an NOS unit.

I'm reselling that GT that I snaked all the parts from. I cleaned it thoroughly, put it back together with black parts, a couple of spare servos I had, and a blue tub muffler.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221285973330?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Selling the dynamite engine it came with separately, though. I tested it, and it did run, but I don't know that it has a lot of life left in it. Couldn't feel much pinch with the plug out, although it did have decent compression.
It's that a tower body or an original?
It's the ST15. I'm keeping my eyes open for an original, but those tower bodies are sooooo close, I'm not overly worried about it. Unfortunately, I had notched the rear towers on this one to make it a display body for my other black tub with the later wide tower, but it's barely noticeable.