Hondaman's Yokomo Build #1 - 870C

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

hondaman
Approved Member

Hondaman's Yokomo Build #1 - 870C

Post by hondaman »

Hi all. I just want to introduce myself. I'm Shawn and I have been lurking on this board for a while and have finally got my own Yokomo. Well actually I have enough to build almost 3 now. I have decided to build one as a stock 870C, a runner using RPM bulkheads, and a Works 93. This Yokomo I got recently as a complete car is going to be torn down and the best parts will go to the 870C project and the rest will go to the runner project. I am still looking for some bits for the 93 and will probably source them from Fiberlyte or get them made locally if I get my butt in gear and draw the parts in cad, but that is a longer term project. So for now here is the complete car I will be tearing down. :twisted:

The car:

Included with this car is a Vintage Novak NER-2X recveiver and 410-M5 ESC, a Futaba S148 servo and a 6-cell Nicad Sanyo saddle pack. Looks like a Robinson Racing spur gear is there as well and I was told a Checkpoint motor. I will know for sure once I pull it apart. :roll: The Stock Yokomo shocks look like they are in good condition and will be cleaned up and used for the 870C stocker/shelfer. The front bulk head is broken at the shock tower mount but I have another one ready for the build. Going to be doing many of the tips I have read about on here to clean things up like the peroxide tip for the white plastics and since I am in sunny So Cal, I think this will work out well. I have an 870C shell and under tray unpainted that will go on this build. You can see some of the parts for the build in the back of some of the picks on top of the tool box. I was too lazy to pull them all out to show but I do have a full 870C sitting in there along with some new parts for the runner/ plastic yoke. Do need to source some finishing parts like a rear wing and correct tires but I can wait for that. I have a new set of pink wheels and some other parts like a full set of yellow Trinity wheels NIP. I am looking forward to building this and learning about these great buggies I never got when I was a kid. 8)

Oh and yes I am thinking about building an RC10 at some point too. :lol:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Hondaman's Yokomo Build #1 - 870C

Post by Lonestar »

Welcome to the board Shawn - you're off to a good start 8)

keep us posted,

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

That 870 already looks pretty nice, especially with those vintage electronics ;)

One thing I want to do to my 870 is make the rear bulkhead position adjustable, like in the '93 Works. Need to get some router action going on the upper and lower deck to enable that...

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

i didn't see the body before and it looks so nice. can you post more pics of the body?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I think that is an andy's apache body maybe? it's a cab forward body that ISN'T ugly.

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Post by minimini »

the upper deck looks like PK Corally one..... :)
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Lonestar wrote:Welcome to the board Shawn - you're off to a good start 8)

keep us posted,

Paul
Thanks Paul.. Glad to find this place..
stickboy007 wrote:That 870 already looks pretty nice, especially with those vintage electronics ;)

One thing I want to do to my 870 is make the rear bulkhead position adjustable, like in the '93 Works. Need to get some router action going on the upper and lower deck to enable that...
Thanks.. Since this one will be more shelfer than runner, I am going to leave the bulk heads in place.. The runner version will have RPM bulkheads and the rear is adjustable.. If this one was to be a runner I would do the same thing and make the rear bulkhead adjustable.. I noticed that my belt is fairly newish that it fits snug.. I will just drop in a stock motor in this to do some fun runs only..
59burst wrote:i didn't see the body before and it looks so nice. can you post more pics of the body?
I can get some pics in a little bit of the body.. It is an Apache body without the wing.. TBG makes a copy.. I got this picture from their Ebay ad for the body..

I'm going to see if I can get just the rear wing for mine as it is in good condition besides the random decals.. I do kind of like this shell myself..
minimini wrote:the upper deck looks like PK Corally one..... :)
I have no idea.. Also the chassis doesn't have a backbone like my other 870C chassis.. Only this top deck..

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Ok so just to update this a little bit.. I was able to tear down the car and check for other issues.. Only broke one screw for one ball joint where the screw rusted.. Luckily it was in the shock tower for the rear and the tower was undamaged... No biggie.. Now I am just going to be cleaning this thing and putting white parts in peroxide to brighten them up a bit.. I will take a few pics later to show my mess and then after the cleaning... 8)

Any tips for popping out the balls from the ball joints easier?? Going to be separating them from the ball ends to do the peroxide..

Shawn

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Check the ball end for the chamfered side, the side the ball was installed from, insert a socket head screw in from the other side and then press that screw down on a desk. It should pop out the way it went in. Another way is to use a pair of needle nose pliers... but that could scar the nylon, not bad on a runner, but bad on a display car.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Going to try the screw tip.. Thanks.. I did it with the pliers and I scuffed up one of the ends so i stopped..

I forgot to ask this before but, what are good alternatives for the king pins for the steering knuckles?? Mine are alright for this build but for my runner build, I need some.. I have 3 but missing the fourth and I don't want to unless I have to use the NIP ones I have set aside for my 93 or source some more.. Found some on EvilBay but I would like to be able to get extras if I lose one or two for the runner..

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

59burst wrote:i didn't see the body before and it looks so nice. can you post more pics of the body?
Here you go..

Apache body:

left side

front

right side

vent detail

The former owner made these holes I suspect to get some airflow into the motor area..

Shawn

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Some more progress.. I poped out all the balls out of the joints (thanks clm.. tip worked for me.. ) and put them in peroxide all day.. Going to keep doing that for a couple more days while I clean the rest of the plastics.. cleaned up the chassis of the left over ca glue from the spine install on the chassis I am using for this build and cleaned up the one from the car pictured.. looks great so far.. I will post pics once all the parts are cleaned up and begin the rebuild.. :D

Question: regarding the rubber gaskets.. do I need to replace them and if so why? I am missing the one for the front bulkhead so I don't want to put inthe rest if it will throw off the measurements between the rear and motor mount.. I was thinking of using some thing to make replacements.. what would be best to use? This will be more of a shelf car with light running..

Shawn

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Well if it's a rubber gasket you should be able to cut them out of a bicycle inner tube, alternatively you could go down to a Napa or other auto parts store and pick up a thin uncut gasket sheet for a couple of bucks and make a gasket that shouldn't crack with age.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

I was thinking the same thing about the gasket material.. I have some in the garage from when I used to make intake gaskets for dual mikuni's.. I think I will go that route.. Thanks for the confirmation..

Shawn

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Hey, another Honda guy! :D - Welcome to the board

This 870C looks like a nice project & once finished will be a very desirable car. I'm another fan of the apache body too :D

On the subject of the bulkhead gaskets, I was wondering if all YZ-10 models had them or was it just an 870C/Works models thing? Should my 93WCS have had them?