Infotainment

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tommy911t
Approved Member

Infotainment

Post by tommy911t »

Years of forums and facebook and sitting in front of a computer have given me too much not to share.

For your Mon-Fri RC viewing pleasure:
http://onthetone.blogspot.com/

Post ideas, criticism, and spell check welcomed.

Thanks,
-Tommy
Drivers,
Less than five... Go OnTheTone
onthetone.blogspot.com

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Infotainment

Post by Charlie don't surf »

"We live in THE BEST ERA for RC Car racing. We dont have to discharge batteries, cut comms, get transponders between heats, or keep a handful of tx/rx crystals."

I would say "we live in THE LAZIEST ERA for RC car racing" because incoming racers do not have to, or want to know how to do any of these things; and as a result they become bound to the current standard. They lose innovation, and a unique approach to problem solving (ie-winning through design) or how to attempt a different set-up approach than the guys that are winning, and finding an edge. New guys have the older drivers on hand-eye coordination trumped...but put them in an unfamiliar environment and they're toast as a result of this.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Charlie don't surf wrote:"We live in THE BEST ERA for RC Car racing. We dont have to discharge batteries, cut comms, get transponders between heats, or keep a handful of tx/rx crystals."

I would say "we live in THE LAZIEST ERA for RC car racing" because incoming racers do not have to, or want to know how to do any of these things; and as a result they become bound to the current standard. They loose innovation, and a unique approach to problem solving (ie-winning through design) or how to attempt a different set-up approach than the guys that are winning, and finding an edge. New guys have the older drivers on hand-eye coordination trumped...but put them in an unfamiliar environment and they're toast as a result of this.

Ding Ding! You are dead on. I have never raced, I would love to. Shortage of any kind in/outdoor close to home is the problem.

I use all the new stuff, but I am no where near the lazy stage and wish that today's youth would take a step back and learn about what we grew up with and use it.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I agree to both points,,
People these days lack the creativity we had to go fast.

People always say "You what, you blast new bearings to remove the grease" or "You cut your foam inserts, why"

Long gone are the days of filing, shimming, cutting, modifying to go faster.

You tell people all the tricks to make a brushed motor quick and you get a blank stare. I wonder how many of the new generation know what a timed brush is.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

RC10th wrote:I agree to both points,,
People these days lack the creativity we had to go fast.

People always say "You what, you blast new bearings to remove the grease" or "You cut your foam inserts, why"

Long gone are the days of filing, shimming, cutting, modifying to go faster.

You tell people all the tricks to make a brushed motor quick and you get a blank stare. I wonder how many of the new generation know what a timed brush is.
Or...how to manipulate the equivalent measures on a 17.5...

Some of the fastest stock class oval racing from my sponsored days, were guys that built their own electronic speed controllers- They didn't have to be smooth...just flow high current 8)

tommy911t
Approved Member

Post by tommy911t »

Charlie don't surf wrote:"We live in THE BEST ERA for RC Car racing. We dont have to discharge batteries, cut comms, get transponders between heats, or keep a handful of tx/rx crystals."

I would say "we live in THE LAZIEST ERA for RC car racing" because incoming racers do not have to, or want to know how to do any of these things; and as a result they become bound to the current standard. They lose innovation, and a unique approach to problem solving (ie-winning through design) or how to attempt a different set-up approach than the guys that are winning, and finding an edge. New guys have the older drivers on hand-eye coordination trumped...but put them in an unfamiliar environment and they're toast as a result of this.
Touche!
The hobby is mouth fed to consumers. I'm just hoping folks realize both points and pursue the competitive outlet that is easily obtained, should they have the desire.

No tricks, magic arts, or secrets needed... Just come race with us! RC wants new blood!
Drivers,
onthetone.blogspot.com

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Don't forget you can just download the latest/greatest set up....no finding out how to do the tuning yourself, asking questions of the fast guys, looking at his car in between rounds (if he didnt cover it with a towel :) ), acetoning or other method of removing the color from springs to hide your set up that makes you faster/better than the others.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

tommy911t
Approved Member

Post by tommy911t »

Drivers,
onthetone.blogspot.com

tommy911t
Approved Member

Post by tommy911t »

Drivers,
onthetone.blogspot.com

tommy911t
Approved Member

Post by tommy911t »

Drivers,
onthetone.blogspot.com

biff85ta  It’s my birthday!
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

I am in this hobby to have fun. All the new tech means I can relax in between the rounds and enjoy my time more. I am just a club racer and that is all I will ever be. I was a budget racer at 15 when I started with this and it was tough even after I got all set up to keep up with the constant motor costs. I now run peoples used motors for multiple seasons. This hobby is as inexpensive as it has ever been and I am loving it. You still have to maintain things but the costs are less now overall because there is less to maintain.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i don't miss motor maintenance at all...
or the batteries...
or the glitching....

i do miss loamy dirt every now and then though.

tommy911t
Approved Member

Post by tommy911t »

Speaking of not missing brushed electronics...

Hirosaka!

http://onthetone.blogspot.com/2014/01/hirosaka-small-manufacturer-big-dreams.html
Drivers,
onthetone.blogspot.com

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Right on gents! All that up there...
- Brian -

My Gallery

tommy911t
Approved Member