Old Kyosho, what is it?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

turbo_bird

Old Kyosho, what is it?

Post by turbo_bird »

I have an old Kyosho buggy that was given to me mostly disassembled in a shopping bag a bunch of years ago, and after looking at some of the builds on here, I thought I would have a look at it and see how much was missing. Turns out it is mostly complete, other than a bunch of missing screws. Someone before me had probably lost some of them and replaced them with small wood screws. From what I have seen on here, I think it is an optima mid, but the chassis looks a bit different. I think it has a front one way and rear ball diff. Here are a few pictures of it. Does anyone here know what exactly it is?

It's pretty rough, but I was surprised to see how complete it is. The front end was assembled and on the chassis, but the rear gear box was disassembled and in a sandwich bag, along with the rear suspension. I'm pretty sure I got it together mostly right from the pictures I found on here. Any help would be appreciated.
Kristian

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Re: Old Kyosho, what is it?

Post by rccars4sal »

Looks like a long wheel base optima mid. Im not sure of the exact model,, Custom, I think By the way, nice find! Probably the most capable version of the mid for racing purposes. Looks like your has the desirable composite chassis. Parts are easy to get. Body looks lazer ish I think. Associated rc10 shocks in back,, kyosho gold shocks in front. I believe yours actually has an aftermarket chassis. My lwb mid only has 7 battery slots. So, with ball diff and 1 way,, plus lwb chassis,, It might have been a turbo se modded with the long chassis,, or possibly a custom.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Kyosho Optima mid, AE rear shocks, SRS stretch chassis. Lazer ZX body.

How it started out is not easy to say, but my best guess would be either Mid Turbo or Mid custom with LWB aluminum chassis.

Is the gearbox mounts for the wing mount filed of or were they never there?

Ball diff?

The wheels point in the Mid custom direction.
Gone fishing

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I like that chassis. Another keyword for searching parts? SRS,, Ill remember that.

Optimusprime

Post by Optimusprime »

Notice the tie rod being used on the steering linkage to the servo (it does not go there). That is the OTW-11 S. I think the only ones that had that type was the turbo mid/custom/special and are hard to come by. 20 bucks on ebay for just one S and you need 4 short and 2 long (which you have allready in the front connecting your steering to your wheels to complete a set.
My best guess is that it started its life as a turbo mid, than it was stretched by an aftermarket kit, then swapped the rear shocks for the Associated rc10 shocks, then added the white lazer MA-17Hw or OT-121 wheels front and back and then the lazer body.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I think the turnbuckles were stripped from the Lazer, hence the missing pair on the upper front suspension links.

If it was a Turbo Mid, the stabilizers would still be mounted - If You buy a one way, and a long chassis - You´d keep the stabilizers on?

Does it have UJ´s at the front?

Edit - trying to spell "if"
Gone fishing

Optimusprime

Post by Optimusprime »

You're right about the stabilizers. You have a point there. Some of the parts should have still been on there. I went with the turbo because of the what looks to be the original fiberglass

shock towers front and back, and not an SE because of the gold shocks in the front. As far as the turnbuckles, the two front ones are OTW-13 Long, the lazer came with OTW-12s M as you

can see from the pictures.

Front Uj's could shed some light like you said, and if it has ball diffs
Attachments
$_3 (1).JPG
$_3.JPG

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Heres my theory: Started out as a lwb custom, added the rear shocks and aftermarket chassis. Additional parts from a lazer to complete a roller. Probably raced if it has a 1 way and ball diff. If it were an ex race car,, then its probably seen a couple or few varying configurations.

Not sure if the LWB customs came stock with a 1 way and ball diff. My own version has them, but its a mutt and very non standard. Also, I thought all mids came with front UJ axles, except possibly the regular base model.

turbo_bird

Post by turbo_bird »

I just got home from work and had another look at it. It has u joints front and rear. The chassis is a composite or graphite one of some sort. The AE shocks makes sense, as there was also part of an RC 10 in the bag. I don't know why I didn't recognize the shocks, I was kinda hoping I could find enough parts to assemble the RC10 instead. The camber links at all four corners look like AE pieces too. The gear box looks like it had wing mounts at some time, but they have been trimmed off. Thanks for the help guys.
Kristian

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

turbo_bird wrote:I just got home from work and had another look at it. It has u joints front and rear. The chassis is a composite or graphite one of some sort. The AE shocks makes sense, as there was also part of an RC 10 in the bag. I don't know why I didn't recognize the shocks, I was kinda hoping I could find enough parts to assemble the RC10 instead. The camber links at all four corners look like AE pieces too. The gear box looks like it had wing mounts at some time, but they have been trimmed off. Thanks for the help guys.
Kristian
The steering rods are most likely Kyosho - but the camber links at the back could be AE. Can You get a better picture from the back.

It´s a nice buggy with a rare chassis, You should hang on to it.
You can allways get one of the re-re RC10´s :D
Gone fishing

turbo_bird

Post by turbo_bird »

DennisM wrote:
The steering rods are most likely Kyosho - but the camber links at the back could be AE. Can You get a better picture from the back.

It´s a nice buggy with a rare chassis, You should hang on to it.
You can allways get one of the re-re RC10´s :D
The steering links look like the ones in the pictures posted by Optimusprime with the large hex in the middle, but the camber links are different, they have a smaller hex. I am definately thinking about getting the rere of the worlds car when it comes out. It will go good with my original, and then I can finally run a worlds car without messing up the original, brand new one.
Kristian

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Optimusprime wrote:Notice the tie rod being used on the steering linkage to the servo (it does not go there). That is the OTW-11 S. I think the only ones that had that type was the turbo mid/custom/special and are hard to come by. 20 bucks on ebay for just one S and you need 4 short and 2 long (which you have allready in the front connecting your steering to your wheels to complete a set.
My best guess is that it started its life as a turbo mid, than it was stretched by an aftermarket kit, then swapped the rear shocks for the Associated rc10 shocks, then added the white lazer MA-17Hw or OT-121 wheels front and back and then the lazer body.
Many of those tie rods can be had for cheap by searching for Ultima RB5/6 and Lazer ZX5/6 parts. The stock turnbuckles are the same parts, just different part numbers (Thank you Kyosho for using the same parts for over 20 years!).

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I would say thats a fantastic start to a very custom build. The chassis is really cool, and with UJ axles all around, and the mentioned diffs,,, very nicely equipped!

turbo_bird

Post by turbo_bird »

I never would have put it together if I hadn't found this forum, thanks guys. The rear diff will need a rebuild I think, it slips pretty bad, and the idler in the transmission looked pretty worn too. I might have to throe some electrics in it this summer and see how it drives.
Kristian