BBT Vindicator Sprinter Build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

BBT Vindicator Sprinter Build

Post by scr8p »

i got this from reggie sometime last year. overall it's in decent condition, though it looks like there has been more drill bits run through it than battery packs. :roll: :lol: i do hope to run this so i don't really care, if it was perfect it would never leave the house. and since i plan on using it, i'm not too worried about being all period correct with original parts.... some rere stuff is gonna be fine with me. even though i do have plenty of original stuff i could probably use.
20140227_195811.jpg
20140227_195835.jpg
20140227_195904.jpg
i do have some new andy's arms i may or may not use, but the cheetah castor wedges i pretty much have to use since the down tubes look to be shortened slightly because someone already had them on it.
20140227_201334.jpg
just getting the thread started for now....... :wink:

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: BBT Vindicator Sprinter Build

Post by kaiser »

very cool.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Now that will be sweet! You need a set of those slotted Mini-Mags to go with it. Even without them that will be a nice car.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Maybe you've already considered it but to throw the idea out there anyway....if you're going to build to race how about giving it a little WOINization?

Maybe cut a new chassis that lets you run B2 parts (carpet arms) or Custom Works front arm mounts. Alternatively you could do a repro Trackmaster DD trans using outdrives from a CW DD trans. Wouldn't be too hard at all. ;)

Something I thought about doing when I was building my sprinter but since I wasn't going to race it, I saw no point.

SofaKing
Approved Member

Post by SofaKing »

That's a great looking base for your project. I think I remember this car, did Reg get this in the lot with his early un-run TQ10 chassis?

Either way it should make a great little runner 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Phin wrote:Maybe you've already considered it but to throw the idea out there anyway....if you're going to build to race how about giving it a little WOINization?

Maybe cut a new chassis that lets you run B2 parts (carpet arms) or Custom Works front arm mounts. Alternatively you could do a repro Trackmaster DD trans using outdrives from a CW DD trans. Wouldn't be too hard at all. ;)
nah, i can't do that. for me, a bbt sprinter NEEDS to have short rc10 arms and be rolling on bolink foams. it really comes down to how they were raced around here back in the day for me. they just looked awesome going around the track setup like that....... and they worked.

the one that will always stand out for me was this guy named frankie. he would tq and win damn near every week. i always looked forward to his races because when the race director said "4 minutes off the pole", you knew the car would be riding on the rear bumper with the front tires in the air until he let off the gas getting into turn 1, and pulling wheelies out of the corners for the first few laps when the battery pack was fresh. it was pure awesomeness. :lol: a metallic blue bbt vindicator with hot pink wheel dots. :)

i also wouldn't go the direct drive route because you had to run a gearbox around here back them. as far as i know, you still have to today. but i've been out of weekly dirt oval racing for like a decade now so i'm sure things have changed. i don't keep up with the DODC rules. i will definitely be putting a stealth in it though. i thought about an sp-1 i have laying around but i don't need to go that old school. :mrgreen:
SofaKing wrote:That's a great looking base for your project. I think I remember this car, did Reg get this in the lot with his early un-run TQ10 chassis?
this is was my finder's fee for pointing that tq10 auction out to him........ sorta. :lol:

actually, the auction was for the sprint car. the guy had used a new tq10 kit to build the sprinter, so the chassis was never used. if i remember right, the listing said nothing about the tq10 chassis at all, it was just laying there in one of the pics. he wanted the tq10, i wanted the sprinter, so we worked it out. :wink:

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Hah, cool story! :lol: :mrgreen:

ratrod63

Post by ratrod63 »

I always wanted a sprint car conversion back in the day. I never could afford one. Really cool looking.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I started to spend some time getting this thing going. Not quite a roller but it's getting there.
20140627_102637.jpg
20140627_102706.jpg
I got some white 30 degree castor blocks from a parts truck, so i'm at 10 degrees with the wedges. We'll see how that works. I also got the holes drilled for a stealth, next thing on the list will be finishing the diff rebuild. I have a nice pair of uni's for it too. Gotta dig up some shocks as well.

The original owner of this, I assume in an attempt to gain more track clearance, opened up holes in the side panels and ran the bars through it. He also mounted the side panels to the top of the chassis and they should be on the bottom. I thought about making new ones, but I just covered them with a strip of metal tape. It disguises them good enough for now. :wink:
20140627_102738.jpg

dillonhoffman
Approved Member

Post by dillonhoffman »

this is a cool project. I like the welds on the chassis

Is that the way the front end was setup originally - 10 degrees of castor?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the chassis on these are flat, so it will obviously have zero degrees of castor built in. the cheetah castor wedges gives it 10 degrees of kick-up, so using a 30 degree block i'll have 10 degrees of castor. if i want more than that, i must swap the castor blocks left to right and open them up to regain full steering. with a 25 degree block i will have 15 degrees of castor, 20 will give me 20, 15 will give me 25, 10 would be 30.

i'm not going to really know anything until the turnbuckles are all on and i can get an idea of how flat the tires will going through the turns.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Nice 8) The extra holes don't look bad, at least they are done correctly and are symmetrical. A chassis with random holes here and there sets my OCD off :lol:

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Ahhhhh!!!! yes the Good old days...here's mine from BITD ...I still keep in touch with Randy a few times a year....Image

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

It's great to see this going together, makes me want to tear mine down and start over. I may need to make my own castor wedges though - I got nothing. :wink:
Gary

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

How come you didn't go with the short andy's arms?