Rc10 short arm/ 6 gear setup and race discussion

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Re: Rc10 short arm/ 6 gear setup and race discussion

Post by GodSpeed »

I'm running an A-stamp gold pan with short arms and jellybean wheels.

Green springs, #2 pistons and 30wt oil front and rear.

I have to say I'm really happy with the rear with a bit of pre-load dialled in. I can take measurements when I get home after the weekend, but I have more into the left rear to compensate for the motor overhang. It sits, handles and rebounds well. Like I said, very happy. Shocks are mounted to the outermost hole on the bottom.

I have greens on the front too and I'm not as happy but it is way better than the stock springs that came with it nearly 30yrs ago. They're not rebounding enough, even with some pre-load. I have just added quite a bit more and it rebounds well on the bench. Haven't run it with this latest adjustment though.

Further on the front, the manual calls for 13.5mm of thread showing between ball cups on the turnbuckles. I was getting tons of under steer so I have taken 1.3mm out of the measurement, shortening them up, increasing camber. Visually this doesn't actually appear to create negative camber but rather just removes positive camber.

I also removed some toe-in which was a result of the measurements from the manual.

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

GodSpeed wrote:I also removed some toe-in which was a result of the measurements from the manual.
I still have a visually noticeable amount of toe-in. I think I'm going to correct it some more. Toe-in is better than toe-out, but I'd prefer almost zero.

Here's a picture of the fronts. There's ~6.75mm between the spring collar and hex on the shock body. It's about as far as you can go before the shock body starts to taper --

On the rear, there's 6.5mm on the left side and 5.5mm on the right. The difference is to compensate for the motor overhang, as I mentioned, and it sits perfectly level.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Hello all,
I have been running my Rc10 with JK Racing's setup and re-re tires for a while. It works great on my backyard track.
Today I took it to R/c Kinetics, my local indoor clay track. I took my tuned Rustler, the Pepto Bismol 10 and the short arm. I had hoped to race the Pb-10 in 2wd buggy, but there wasn't enough turnout to race. It did mean that I got a lot of practice in and the Goldpan saw a lot of use.
I was able to lap my friend's Castle 1410-powered B4.1 with my Venom Fireball powered goldpan. That's mostly driver skill, but still says a lot about the car. I'm surprised by how well the re-re tires work. The only thing I might do is add weight to the nose or use a shorty lipo moved forwards, to help with it's mild understeer and get the nose down over jumps.
Thanks for the setup tips. Who says short arms can't handle? :D

GodSpeeed, how is your car doing? Have you fixed the tires?
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

85Edinger wrote:GodSpeeed, how is your car doing? Have you fixed the tires?
The car runs great and it looks pretty fast. I'll have to meet up with RC104ever to gauge its speed against his.

Haven't fixed the tires but I did run them as-is and the glue has peeled away from the rubber. Totally wrong stuff, as you informed me. They stayed on the wheels though and the traction is great.

I have terrible understeer. This isn't a solution to it, but I still need to install the bell crank steering setup I just picked up.

Nice driving on your part!

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

What is your front ride height? Maybe you should try dropping it a little.
Your low profile servo also can't be helping. Maybe you should get a shorty lipo and/or weight the front to compensate.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

85Edinger wrote:What is your front ride height? Maybe you should try dropping it a little.
I'd love to measure my ride height for you but yesterday the car suffered its first accident. Broke the front right side arm mount doing about 3-4 cartwheels. #6208 on order. Should be here Thursday....or Friday because today is a national holiday.

Sure enough it was me driving and not either of my 4 & 6yr old sons. Nice driving, dad. My wife also hit a tree (1 of 3 in a field the size of a football field) DEAD-ON. Lucky. It would have torn the whole side of the car off had she not hit it so square. No damage whatsoever as a result.

So regarding right height, I don't know the measurement but the tie rods sit almost perfectly parallel to the ground IIRC. I'm concerned that if I lower it by raising the spring collar, I'll lose rebound. Overall ride height is higher now with the JC Racing 5-spokes vs. the original wheels.

How about I try adding more camber?

I also need to remove some toe-in still. I'll do that when I get the bell crank steering installed.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I had my classic out to the track with pretty much a stock setup. I found it handled quite well and I'm not going to change anything on it. I'll just work my way down the setup sheet.

Front:
Camber link hole position 1 (inner)on the tower
15deg caster

23.57mm front ride height
25.04mm rear ride height

JConcepts bell cranks
Jconcepts RC10 classic front graphite tower, using the lower hole

1deg camber on front tires with probably 1deg of toe in

Rear:
Camber link hole position 3 (upper most inner one)
0deg hub
Shock mounting hole C (second to the end)
long wheelbase
2deg camber

Shocks:
Silver springs all around
30wt oil all around
#1 pistons all around
Front shock collar 5.25mm from top
Rear shock collar 2.30mm from top
Rear inner limiters: 17mm

Stock wheels and tires

Electronics:
XP digital SC700-BL
Reedy 540-SL burshless motor
Futaba S3305 servo
Batteries, depends on what's charged. I ran Orion 2400 lipo which are light and I also ran a Reedy Wolfpack 5000 lipo, which was heavy and for the weight difference I think I prefer the lighter ones

Gearing:
stock spur and a 20 tooth pinion
DSC_0853.JPG

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

Sounds very "by the book" except for the spring collars. Good to hear it's handling well on your track. What's the surface material?

I received the recommendation from more than one member here to move the rear lower shock mount to the very outside hole (D).

Where exactly on the chassis were do you measure ride height?

Would you mind taking a shot to show the angle of your front tie rods in relation to the ground?

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

GodSpeed wrote:Sounds very "by the book" except for the spring collars. Good to hear it's handling well on your track. What's the surface material?

I received the recommendation from more than one member here to move the rear lower shock mount to the very outside hole (D).

Where exactly on the chassis were do you measure ride height?

Would you mind taking a shot to show the angle of your front tie rods in relation to the ground?
First off, I forgot those front tires are definitely not stock. I also used bearings throughout.

The track surface was predominantly hard packed dirt due to some unsettled weather that went through the previous couple of days. There were some loose spots too, which is usually how the track is.

I measured the rear ground clearance from the chassis to the ground at where the arms are mounted and I measured the front at where the nose tubes mounts, again from the chassis to the ground. I first dropped the car to get the stance.

I wasn't sure how to capture the tie rods relative to the ground, but hopefully these photos help.
DSC_0190.JPG
DSC_0192.JPG

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

Good pictures. Looks like the rods are slightly higher at the wheel end. But barely.

I'll measure once I get it back together. Might throw the original wheels on for some measurements too, mind you my rears are now bald (see -- http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=395747#p395747 ) which alone takes off 1.8mm of ride height from brand new spec Champion tires.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

yup, those are some lightly used tires... well maybe a touch more than lightly :D

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

85Edinger, how was your car at the VONATS? What setup did you use? I'm thinking about rebuilding my Classic this winter and going with a short arm setup again. I need some inspiration.
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Ryan, I ran my short arm, 6 gear car @ IERC with my set up. Using the wrong tires (the JC green compound vintage size tires) on the clay, I had a bit of a push. Some was me pushing it way to hard into the corners, some was wrong tires. I feel the set up was very close, if not dead on still.

FYI, same set up I ran on the car at Pegasus with the kit tires and took 3rd in Stock buggy :) brushed 27T too
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

I've been meaning to post in this thread for almost two weeks but I've been really busy.
I ran JK Racing's setup with an smc shorty pushed forward in classic class, and it was awesome. I ended up 4th of 11 in the main, and I was leading it for a while. It really felt great out there.

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

Joey, what gearing are you running with the 6 gear now?
JK Racing wrote: brushed 27T too
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258