XX-4 restoration, road to the VONATS

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

XX-4 restoration, road to the VONATS

Post by pumpkinfish »

Ok, I wanted a 4wd for the Vonats and scored this XX-4 on the bay. Guy didn't seem to know what he had. I see there is what looks to be a Trinity Motor clamp and some sort of blue aluminum outdrives (or outrive sleeves). Is this a Worlds? What mods will I need to make it stand up to 10.5 brushless? Any spares i should buy?

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-losi-xx4-xxx4-xxxt-4wd-buggy-rc10-sc10-/261541395508?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xXXaYuyipzzF70xlWYNVaD5jU6E%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

giggles
Approved Member

Re: XX-4 experts, what did I buy?

Post by giggles »

xx4 worlds with some hard to find hop ups. the blue motor clap and blue outdrives are hop ups and hard to find
some of my cars rc10 rc10t RC10T2 rc10t3 rc10gt sc10 4X4 losi xx4 tlr 22, duratrax exb, rs4 super rc10 worlds trf801x and trf801xt td10
nitro rs4 rs4 ev0 mirage v spec venum creeper
desc410v2 pro sc18 rc18 team turingy go cart and sct slash 2wd

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

Any upgrades needed to race it? I already know I will need a TBG body :x

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

What you got is a good deal, and the newest bestest vintage racer for vonats! I bet there will be a grip of xx4s at the nats, and so history repeats itself. I dont know of any vintage 4wd off the top of my head that will run with a xx4 given somewhat equal driver and set up skills.

In my fleet of runners, only the BJ4x4 worlds edition can run with my xx4 in terms of smooth, and rough surface handling. Im pretty sure I like the way xx4 handles jumps better than the BJ4x4 also. Granted, my yokomo 94 and the bmax4 arent runners yet... Im sure they would be close.

For racing,, extra shock towers, extra suspension arms, especially front, extra steering hubs and knuckles, extra belts, extra wheels and tires,and of course,,, the battery straps for lipo!

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

I received the car in the mail today. I should have taken photos of how bad it is. the pictures it he auction didn't show the half of it. The lowlights include a broken chassis (both included are broken @ the front metal sleeve area), broken front bumper that used a furniture screw to secure it to the bulkhead, JB welded rear diff that are moulded outdrives (dif rings looked in awesome shape too but I can't get the JB Weld off), lots of dog hair wrapped around the CVDs and some tacky string wrapped around the clicker.

So does anyone have a decent chassis, front bumper and body (clear, painted I don't care). The rest I need I can find either on Losi Parts House, Oldrc.com and eBay.

It's going to make a decent restoration for the Vonats when I am complete.

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

check rcaddiction.com they had some good xx4 parts also. (even though my favorite is oldrc.com) i grabbed a 2.19 retro trans a few months ago for 6 bucks. his prices are pretty good with most stuff even when its 2-3 times more on ebay.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

alien3t wrote:check rcaddiction.com they had some good xx4 parts also. (even though my favorite is oldrc.com) i grabbed a 2.19 retro trans a few months ago for 6 bucks. his prices are pretty good with most stuff even when its 2-3 times more on ebay.
Is it just me, or does rcaddiction.com have the most worthless site search engine ever? I tried to search for XX4, then XX-4.... nothing came up as a search result.... but looking in the Losi parts area, there's heaps of Losi XX4 parts..... that, and the numbering is all over the shop.....

Making it VERY hard to find a cheapish LOSA4208...... :oops:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

There's one on eBay right now.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

pumpkinfish wrote:There's one on eBay right now.
I'm guessing must not be available to people down my way, as it doesn't seem to show up in my searches...

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Re: XX-4 restoration, road to the VONATS

Post by pumpkinfish »

I think I have sourced everything I need except for the front bumper. Anyone know of one pm me.

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

pumpkinfish wrote:I think I have sourced everything I need except for the front bumper. Anyone know of one pm me.
I'm pretty sure I've got a used front bumper, however the screw holes on top are split. I'll give it to you if you want it as long as you pay for shipping. Pm me if you want it
Cars: kyosho raider, rc10 ce, kyosho ultima pro xl, lazer zx, inferno mp s, losi xxt, xx4we, rc10t3, kyosho zx5 sp, rb6, zx6, rb7ss, zx7, mp10e, crc xl, rc18r, tamiya trf 801xt.

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

All my parts came in and I made some progress. The front and rear diffs are built as well as the center slipper. Hit a snag with the belts. I tracked down a new rear, but I couldn't find any front/side greens, only blues. One of the f/s greens included with the car looks ok, but the other is frayed and gummy feeling. I don't want to build the car with it only to have it break. So am I able to use the blues in place of both greens on the front and side belt or do I need the green? I researched the Tough Racing belts and it seems not many are impressed so I was avoiding them if possible. Also, is there a way to determine if the belts are ok?

I took a few pictures and will be posting them soon.

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

Hi there

I've had good results with the tough racing belts but i'm using the small rollers that were in the original car NOT the w/edition and i think that is the difference make sure you use new pullies and i think you should be ok, i think the problems people have are having with the tough belts is they are using old pullies and no rollers and thats why the belts are skipping if you use the rollers the belts can't skip, the green belts are good but have a short belt life and from what i've learned can't reliably handle the power of todays motors. The tough belts look much more like the current touring car and 22-4 belts which are obviously more up to the job, if you are looking for the rollers i think there is a set of shafts on ebay at the moment and the ball races i believe are still easy enough to get they're the same ones that are used on the steering of the xxx 2wd cars.
Any ??? just ask.

peter

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

The guys at Losi have said that the shelf life of the belts are about 2 years. So even brand new in package belts are unreliable after 2 years. I would get some Tough Racing belts for all three and try to source the belt rollers from Oldrc.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Should tell the guys at Losi to make some more dam belts then :lol:
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends