JRX Pro SE Rebuild

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

oldrc
Approved Member

JRX Pro SE Rebuild

Post by oldrc »

Hello.

I found the spares from my old race car (no idea where the actual car went) and would like to rebuild it all up to a complete car. She's a JRX Pro SE (best car I have ever driven) and I have a mint pretty much as new chassis, rear suspension arms/hubs, front the same, bulkheads, shock towers etc, just the normal stuff a racer would keep as spares really. So basically I have a basis to work on but need the following.

Shocks: Do I stick to the originals or are there some as good or better which will fit from something else? Some threaded ones would be nice, never really liked the collars that you have to tighten.

Transmission: I believe the later Pro SE came with the retrofittted tranny from the XX. Would this be something you would advise or just go for the original Pro SE one?

Wheels: what newer 2.2" wheels will fit? Can I put some kind of adapters on?

Slipper I believe RC10 B4 dual slipper all fits, is that correct?

Are there any mods you would recommend I do now while I'm at build status?

I don't have access to the trading area yet but are there many Pro SE bits there, or parts for me to consider?

Many thanks :)
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Re: JRX Pro SE Rebuild - Questions

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Hello.

I found the spares from my old race car (no idea where the actual car went) and would like to rebuild it all up to a complete car. She's a JRX Pro SE (best car I have ever driven) and I have a mint pretty much as new chassis, rear suspension arms/hubs, front the same, bulkheads, shock towers etc, just the normal stuff a racer would keep as spares really. So basically I have a basis to work on but need the following.

Shocks: Do I stick to the originals or are there some as good or better which will fit from something else? Some threaded ones would be nice, never really liked the collars that you have to tighten.

Transmission: I believe the later Pro SE came with the retrofittted tranny from the XX. Would this be something you would advise or just go for the original Pro SE one?

Wheels: what newer 2.2" wheels will fit? Can I put some kind of adapters on?

Slipper I believe RC10 B4 dual slipper all fits, is that correct?

Are there any mods you would recommend I do now while I'm at build status?

I don't have access to the trading area yet but are there many Pro SE bits there, or parts for me to consider?

Many thanks :)
I'll start...

Shocks: If you don't like the earlier shocks with bolted collars, there's always the later threaded shocks found on the XXX.

Transmission: Original LRM or retro-fit XX, the choice is yours but in either case the transmission cases are either 'not cheap' or hard to find.

Wheels: The original XX and XXX rears will fit and you can still find Pro SE fronts (which are 2.1"). Somewhere on the forum, is a thread where someone has grafted on XX front spindles so that you can use XX and XXX front wheels.

Slipper: The more modern 'octagonal' slippers seem to be really popular and the RC10 VTS is the latest incarnation and is pretty much a direct fit. I think this slipper conversation is detailed in one of the more recent threads in the forum although I'm not 100% sure about this. You'll have to have a read through a few...

I think it goes without saying that eBay is probably the first place to look when sourcing parts, but Dan over at Sabulatech / OLDRC.com (...yes!) carries many hard to find Losi spares.... http://sabulatech.com/storefront/category.php?id_category=5

Hope you find this useful.
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

That's a great post, very helpful indeed. I have found the standard and retrofit tranny casings but not the insides, I'm just weighing up the best option really. I didn't know that the XXX had shocks that would be a direct fit so thanks for that, I think I'll get some of those.

As for the wheels I have found plenty of fronts (original) but no rears so converting to newer 2.2 somehow is probably the best way forward for 'future proofing'.

I will check out the threads as advised.

Thanks again :)
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:That's a great post, very helpful indeed. I have found the standard and retrofit tranny casings but not the insides, I'm just weighing up the best option really. I didn't know that the XXX had shocks that would be a direct fit so thanks for that, I think I'll get some of those.

As for the wheels I have found plenty of fronts (original) but no rears so converting to newer 2.2 somehow is probably the best way forward for 'future proofing'.

I will check out the threads as advised.

Thanks again :)
The reto-fit transmission uses XX internals which should be fairly easy to locate.

The original Pro SE rear wheels are 2.0" so you really need to avoid using them as there are no tyres available these days. XX or XXX rears work just fine though.

As for the shocks, this set...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Losi-LOSA5032-6-Shock-Set-Hard-Coated-with-Hardware-/321068607807?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4ac12e293f

...plus these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Losi-A-5054-6-Threaded-Shock-Body-Set-Hard-Anodized-With-Nuts-USA-RC-Part-/281408184228?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item41853c1fa4

Gets you going for the front shocks, and the rear set is here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Team-Losi-1-2-Shock-Set-Pair-Hard-Coated-w-Hardwear-RRP-33-75-A5034-/311040592104?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item486b76c8e8

...plus the rear threaded (1.2" travel) shock bodies...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Losi-LOSA5056-Rear-Shock-Body-1-2-Fits-Various-XXX-Cars-/221213985765?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3381618be5

And to finish them off, these are the aluminium adjusting nuts...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Losi-LOSA5049-Alu-Shock-Adjuster-with-Orings-Fits-Various-XXX-Cars-/321107400108?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4ac37e15ac

...because you only get standard plastic nuts with the threaded bodies.

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Ah fantastic, thank you, I'll put an order in (or atleast get the wife to) for some shocks.

So is the retrofit trans just a standard XX internals? Does anything else need to be changed to match up i.e. driveshafts etc?

Thanks

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

You will need the universal drive shafts to work with the XX tranny.

Or the slider conversion kit for the XX which is not all that common.

Otherwise good to go.

Check out Sabula Tech for Losi parts.

http://sabulatech.com/storefront/category.php?id_category=5
"It's not broken, it's British!"

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Ah fantastic, thank you, I'll put an order in (or atleast get the wife to) for some shocks.

So is the retrofit trans just a standard XX internals? Does anything else need to be changed to match up i.e. driveshafts etc?

Thanks

This should help...

http://vintagelosi.com/Instructions_files/RetrofitXX.pdf

By the way, the Vintage Losi website is an excellent on-line resource for the older trucks and buggy's.

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

If you want 2.2 wheels there is an easy way that has been done.. all you do is use early b4 wheels (bearing front and rear pin drive like the early Losi cars).. in the front you need an axle spacer as the b4 front sits too far in and on the rear if you are using h arms you are good to go.. 5 link cars get a spacer for the lower link as not to rub.. I'll see if I can find one of the links to a 2.2 conversion..

Shawn

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

8rad wrote:You will need the universal drive shafts to work with the XX tranny.

Or the slider conversion kit for the XX which is not all that common.

Otherwise good to go.

Check out Sabula Tech for Losi parts.

http://sabulatech.com/storefront/category.php?id_category=5
I think in that case the universal will do just fine thank you.
LosiXXkid wrote:This should help...

http://vintagelosi.com/Instructions_files/RetrofitXX.pdf

By the way, the Vintage Losi website is an excellent on-line resource for the older trucks and buggy's.
I did stumble upon that website and have found some bits I need :)

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

hondaman wrote:If you want 2.2 wheels there is an easy way that has been done.. all you do is use early b4 wheels.. in the front you need an axle spacer as the b4 front sits too far in and on the rear if you are using h arms you are good to go.. 5 link cars get a spacer for the lower link as not to rub.. I'll see if I can find one of the links to a 2.2 conversion..

Shawn
That is very helpful, do you have a part number for the fronts spacers? I'm using the standard H arms on the rear (although I also have some RPM H arm conversions which I presume were to convert a Pro to a Pro SE) so standard B4 wheels will fit?

:)

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

This is the best value Associated VTS slipper clutch kit that I've come across and it's also the one I bought...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ASSOCIATED-RC10B5M-B5M-Slipper-Clutch-TEAM-7485-91177-B5-AIT29-/141274577720?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e49efb38

I think I received mine in about five days as well! And you'll obviously need a spur gear or two...

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

oldrc wrote:
hondaman wrote:If you want 2.2 wheels there is an easy way that has been done.. all you do is use early b4 wheels.. in the front you need an axle spacer as the b4 front sits too far in and on the rear if you are using h arms you are good to go.. 5 link cars get a spacer for the lower link as not to rub.. I'll see if I can find one of the links to a 2.2 conversion..

Shawn
That is very helpful, do you have a part number for the fronts spacers? I'm using the standard H arms on the rear (although I also have some RPM H arm conversions which I presume were to convert a Pro to a Pro SE) so standard B4 wheels will fit?

The older B4 wheels with the pin drive will fit.. If you go with a hex, you need a low profile hex and nut.. The spacers are the same as the ones used on the rear.. here are some links to some threads talking about this including some other ways to mount 2.2 wheels on a JRX-2: link 001 - A really good resource, link 002 - RE:Evader wheels These should get you started..

Shawn

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

LosiXXkid wrote:This is the best value Associated VTS slipper clutch kit that I've come across and it's also the one I bought...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ASSOCIATED-RC10B5M-B5M-Slipper-Clutch-TEAM-7485-91177-B5-AIT29-/141274577720?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e49efb38

I think I received mine in about five days as well! And you'll obviously need a spur gear or two...
Ordered :)

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

hondaman wrote:
oldrc wrote:

Shawn

The older B4 wheels with the pin drive will fit.. If you go with a hex, you need a low profile hex and nut.. The spacers are the same as the ones used on the rear.. here are some links to some threads talking about this including some other ways to mount 2.2 wheels on a JRX-2: link 001 - A really good resource, link 002 - RE:Evader wheels These should get you started..

Shawn
Excellent info there thanks, I might just go for the older b4's.

You guys are a hive of information, thanks all :)

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

No problem.. This was a question I had and found the info for my own build.. There are great people on here ad a lot of them still race their cars.. check out Dan's build.. His JRX-2 is great and he still races it..

Shawn