Jrx Pro Rebuild

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Balz2thawal

Jrx Pro Rebuild

Post by Balz2thawal »

Hey all,

Just getting the hang of posting photo's so I thought I would while waiting for parts to come in.

This is my Pro I received in 91 at the age of 13. It was driven hard with little maintenance. It's a wonder there was any thing left to work with. Also, my pit crew chief pictured.

At some point in the early Ots I tried to "get it running" but was rebuffed by the wife for spending too much and making a mess. But I did replace stock tires w/ XX tires. I also took this motor off a monster truck so it wasn't that great. The leads from motor were damaged and too short to be spliced back, so I used little connecters that would often fail. She didn't show the greatness she was capable of.

Too much concrete, and not enough dirt.

My dad the artist made a perfect replica of the Jrx Pro Box car. (Which I promptly destroyed thru flips and cartwheels) The car was given to me for Xmas already assembled, which really hurt my understanding of how to properly drive and maintain the car. But on the plus side I would have never done such a good job on the paint.

One of the problems I'm having now is the differential. The manual says not to "over-tighten" as the screw is almost fully tight, all 3 of the sprockets can move independently. But tightening a little more locks all 3 into place. Is the locking what it's supposed to do? Or is that the over-tightening? I cant decide any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how this will go over, but the futaba setup I had before was just too damaged. Each component was just in rough shape. So I striped the goods from a Traxxas speed boat my little bro neglected. Everything looked the same just in a LOT better shape. If anyone sees red flags with this please let me know as I am flying blind and working off gut feelings.

One of my wing tubes looks un-salvageable if anyone know a place. I found a few listings thru searches but always seem out-of-stock.

So make it to this pint when I run out of usable e clips and my antenna kit was ruined so I place an order to "hopmeup". Not content though because spinning the back tires created a very odd noise in the gear box. Since I was waiting anyway, I take the thing back apart to find a damaged bearing. I should have paid closer attention.

And now she and I await parts to get going again. But I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as this is my first build. I've already learned allot from everyone at the forums just reading the posts. There's a wealth of knowledge here. Things like the right motor (do I need a vintage motor?)and battery packs. Apparently batteries have come a long way since I was in this. I've familiarized myself with the new types but aren't sure how they apply to my vintage vehicle.

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: Jrx Pro Rebuild

Post by aconsola »

i don't know much about marine electronics, but if the motors and batteries for the boat are the same size as car stuff, the esc should work. one concern I would have is does the Boat ESC have brakes? I think the marine controllers are forward only, no brakes, no reverse.

Balz2thawal

Post by Balz2thawal »

aconsola wrote:i don't know much about marine electronics, but if the motors and batteries for the boat are the same size as car stuff, the esc should work. one concern I would have is does the Boat ESC have brakes? I think the marine controllers are forward only, no brakes, no reverse.
Yea that's true it has no reverse. Ultimately its a "short term" solution considering how much $ I have to put in it. My little boy is dieing to see this thing run, so it will get us running sooner. I'll admit id taken into consideration the "no reverse" but not the "no brakes". In the day my buddy had a little street car that had no reverse, but it had breaks. Boy I hope this thing at least has brakes. lol I imagine fun time could end quickly w/o them. Thanks for the heads up.

Balz2thawal

Post by Balz2thawal »

Well the car is basically complete. The only thing I need is a motor now. But still this differential is giving me probs. I have taken this thing apart countless times. Cleaned and greased. It always come down to that screw. There seems to be no middle ground. It's too loose or its too tight. It's breaking my spirit, since I've also got the xxx-nt im trying to get working as well. Two cars that are so close yet so far. If anyone else came across this prob and found a solution, I would build a small shrine of you and worship it.

I have all the electronics on it but haven't got an updated picture. I bit the bullet and took it to my dad's house. He originally built the car many moons ago and I thought it needed a second set of eyes. The esc shows a red light (changed from green) when I reverse it. Which I'm hoping is a sign there are brakes.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Balz, in regards to your diff issue, I always found the JRX diffs to loosen up pretty easily but that said, go to vintagelosi.com and pull up the manual. Page 5 is for the diff. Check out your bevel cone washers. That was always what got me back in my teenage years when I'd rebuild my X2 for racing. You put one of those in backwards and you're effed.

The marine stuff will work but like said earlier, no brakes. You probably are seeing the lights change for reverse. Some boat esc's do have reverse.

Shoot me a PM of what you need. I have a bunch of stuff for these.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

nice rebuild, i have a brand new aerial mount & spur gear i can send you for free, pm me your address :)