xx-4 winter project

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RichieRich
Approved Member

xx-4 winter project

Post by RichieRich »

First...I can't believe I'm posting in this Losi forum. I picked up a xx-4 for a good price for the long cold so cal winter. I'll post pics as soon as it arrives. I know it needs work and a body so I'll be looking for help with parts. :D

Bong024
Approved Member

Re: xx-4 winter project

Post by Bong024 »

I'm in the same boat. I picked up an XX4 this past Saturday, my first losi, and my newest car in the fleet. Im also awaiting a parts lot coming from Cali. Looks like a fun car. Good luck with yours!
I'm not like them, but I can pretend...

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Look! Dual motors!! :lol: Well, it came today. Took a quick pic for y'all. It's missing several parts along with broken front and rear shock towers. I'm sure more fun awaits once I open up the transmissions. This adventure will have to wait until the Christmas craziness slows down for a full tear down.
Attachments
xx4-01.jpg

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I did some disassembly this morning. I removed the electrics and got it down to the bare chassis. I didn't even touch the transmission parts, shocks or suspension. Those bits are all in a box...dirty. :lol: It always amazes me how much people tend to overtighten. The shocks were bolted on so tight there's no way the suspension moved properly. There is so much flashing left on everything, it's comical.

The good news is that nothing is cracked or broken aside from the shock towers. I did notice that it's missing the wing mount. BTW, what are these belts made out of? I mean they are pretty much dissolved and all that's left are the fibers.

Finally, since I don't know much about these cars, I don't know the version history. Pretty sure this is an original xx-4. I noticed there are several shock tower versions, body types and belts. The chassis, says graphite underneath. Is that original or an option like the way AE does it? Thanks!

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

I almost bid on that car. But like you I know very little about them and I didn't need another project sitting around.

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

I think it's the 1st generation XX-4 Buggy. Why: chassis without slots, black shocks with clamps and non-reinforced shock towers. The right body hast the part number 8044 (NOT HOT WEATHER BODY, PART NUMBER 8045), it's the early version. Repros are still available.

Take a look at my build to compare and you will notice the difference :)

Nice find by the way :) I would rebuild it just the way it is. 1st gen is rare...

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Ok, I ordered some parts today. I disassembled the rear diff to rebuild it. Who ever built it only used one of the proper ball races for the thrust bearing. I thought, ok, I'll just borrow one from the front diff just to get it together properly. I opened up the front diff and it was missing the center bearing. Also, the thrust bearing had disintegrated. LOL.

The pully near the slipper plate has melted. Wtf? And, for the rear diff, the previous owner used A and B bearing carriers instead of all A or all B. I'm taking a break.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Cars like this end up being a fortune to bring back from the dead. Sorry your reluctant entry into the xx-4 world started off like this. OG belts are near impossible to find and if you do find em they dont last long. Ive had good luck with the aftermarket ones on ebay (cant remember name). There are a few good threads for this car on here.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

You should still be able to find all the parts you need pretty easily. The pulleys/ gears come as kit. The aftermarket belts should be fine. Oldrc probably has everything you need. Nice early car. I have one in pieces too.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Yeah, I ordered some parts from oldrc. I'm actually excited about the resto work. I only paid $60 including shipping for the car so I'm not worried about it being a money pit. I've always wanted one of these cars with their asymmetrical front end.

There's a thread here on rc10talk with some good info. I might order some of those tough racing belts mentioned there. I don't plan on doing any hardcore racing with it once I'm finished.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Does anyone know if the jconcepts silent speed spurs work with the xx4?

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

some spurs that fit losi ae cars will work as the centre shaft is the same dia but the xx4 had different slipper pads going to the front and rear to vary the drive (more to the rear) and depending on the width of the spur itself will depend the size of the spur, standard was 84 but go any wider and things get very tight 82 might be the limit, if you are racing it you can get the losi Kevlar gears in no worries and still use the standard slipper pads and the standard plastic gears are fine too for that matter.

peter

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

So, is that a yes or no? What I'm mostly concerned with is that the slipper pads work with the jconcepts spurs and that they fit the shaft. BTW, here's the current status.
Attachments
20150104_164126s.jpg

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

RichieRich wrote:So, is that a yes or no? What I'm mostly concerned with is that the slipper pads work with the jconcepts spurs and that they fit the shaft. BTW, here's the current status.
The jconcepts spur will work in it, I've got one in mine currently but one thing to keep an eye on is the clearance between the spur and the chassis/belt covers. You can go too big but I can't remember off the top of my head what number of teeth is the limit. You can use any of the xxx/xxxt/22 1.0/22t 1.0 spurs but only use the xx4 slipper pads as they are two different consistencies, one side of the spur slips for the front wheels and the other side slips for the rear wheels.... Not that you asked just like to ramble lol

FYI stock spur is 84t and the biggest jconcepts spur for losi is 82t so any of the jconcepts will fit without clearance issues
Cars: kyosho raider, rc10 ce, kyosho ultima pro xl, lazer zx, inferno mp s, losi xxt, xx4we, rc10t3, kyosho zx5 sp, rb6, zx6, rb7ss, zx7, mp10e, crc xl, rc18r, tamiya trf 801xt.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Alright, here's the current status:

I replaced the bearings, spur, pulleys and belts. Thankfully, the only part with stripped threads is the front bumper. Everything else is in great shape. Next I'll be tackling the shocks. The shock shafts are true and I think just the o-rings need replaced.
Attachments
IMG_20150117_233932500s.jpg