Rebuild updates and pics.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jared J
Approved Member

Rebuild my First Gold pan-6-gear questions

Post by Jared J »

Hello everyone, i have many questions about a rebuild i'm about to do when many parts come in the mail hopefully soon. Im rebuilding a Very Early A-stamp Edinger model. it has the rarer sway bars, and steering rack, and others. It has its original 6-Gear Trans. I was able to take apart and clean the whole car and was able to put it back together. I inspected the Trans and did some research on the gears and it would appear the gears are in really nice shape.fThe Whole transmission seems to be in running order but i did order bearings to replace bearings that were already in place. as well as idler gears for when the current gears go bad. the outdrives look in good shape as there is no distortion is appearent. the trans seems to run smoothly and when i built it, its hard to turn the spur when the wheels are held in place. Would it be possible to race with the trans when i "Freshen" the trans and get it in fully running order. its in "running" order as it is now but im not running until i rebuild it. Im NOT comfortable in drilling for fear of messing up the hole and i dont want to ruin an original chassis in this one's condition by drilling. Dont worry, i will protect the chassis before i run the car. SO, the main question is, if i put a 17.5 Reedy Mach 3, (because my current track, appearently doesnt really run modern 17.5, but they are now having a 2wd 17.5 vintage class) or, a 7.5t motor, what are the things i must look for when running the trans. is 17.5 too much? and would i even be able to keep up with modern trans in a 17.5. i wont be trying to push super hard on the car or trans, but it will be a clay surface so i need to know what i need to do to maintain the trans as well. Im a 16yr old RC driver and id like to have the car, in its entirety to run this car as original as possible as well for the VONATS 16'.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOeKkvhUV3d7tQeEQqBGtUdbBkpgLfQnd3XSB00https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMzIvQgEWvG-uBmdxYsw1O1IdRdWnBUPUSI-HjF
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOhnkGYNm04SxZLGTSWuObeNEPUfm65neFlLIPi
Attachments
20150922_191133 (1).jpg
Newly Rebuild Edinger RC10
B4.2, B5M Factory Lite, B44.3, And RC10 Graphite w/ Stealth trans.
LRP Esc, Reedy M3 17.5, MCG Reaper 7.5, Savox, Blue Bird.
Onyx Charger.
Favorite Tire: JC Blue Dirtwebs, and maaaybe Pro-line Primes.

R Cane
Approved Member

Re: Rebuild my First Gold pan

Post by R Cane »

Can't view your pics...wants us to log in.

Jared J
Approved Member

Re: Rebuild my First Gold pan

Post by Jared J »

R Cane wrote:Can't view your pics...wants us to log in.
here is a pic. sorry
Onyx Charger.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: Rebuild my First Gold pan-6-gear questions

Post by yellowdatsun »

Personally, I'd restore it, and then find another one to actually run. If I still had my RC10 from the 80's-90's, I'd have restored it and put it on the shelf. The old 6 gear tranny really sucks compared to the Stealth tranny. Back then we had to use the diff as the slipper, and now they have a separate slipper clutch.

I kinda have the same scenereo now, I have one that's restored to bone stock Edinger, and a newer black pan car that I run at the track.

Jared J
Approved Member

Post by Jared J »

yellowdatsun wrote:Personally, I'd restore it, and then find another one to actually run. If I still had my RC10 from the 80's-90's, I'd have restored it and put it on the shelf. The old 6 gear tranny really sucks compared to the Stealth tranny. Back then we had to use the diff as the slipper, and now they have a separate slipper clutch.

I kinda have the same scenereo now, I have one that's restored to bone stock Edinger, and a newer black pan car that I run at the track.

Well i dont have in my budget for a second one. But im putting a 17.5 and ill turn timing and boost off (if any boost) because its the same as a 27T. i dont want to drill the chassis so this is really what i have to use for the car. but, i fully understand getting a second one
Onyx Charger.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I totally know the feeling of a tight budget. But, even so, you'd be surprised at the deals you can find on craigslist and such. Ebay sometimes, but rarely. The cars are a money pit, they were 30 years ago, and they still are today. So in the grand scheme of things, getting a second cheap car really won't make a difference in the budget. Maybe just hold off for a bit, and save for a second chassis?

Jared J
Approved Member

Post by Jared J »

Thats what im probably going to do. But ill get maybe a worlds car or a B-stamp. Idk y the big font.
Onyx Charger.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

You should post some pics of your car so we can give you some advice :wink:

Jared J
Approved Member

Post by Jared J »

RC10resto wrote:You should post some pics of your car so we can give you some advice :wink:

Sorry about that. havent had the time. and idk how to post pics bigger than 256KiB
Onyx Charger.

Jared J
Approved Member

Post by Jared J »

Okay, here's a link to some photos. Image
Onyx Charger.

Jared J
Approved Member

Post by Jared J »

Onyx Charger.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Thanks for the pics.
I would save it or sell it. Pretty good condition for an early car.

Jared J
Approved Member

PARTS!!

Post by Jared J »

Most of my parts are finally coming in! (the ETA is really tomorrow, But im praying it comes today) sooooo excited for this. I've taken off the modern ball cups that i put on to replace the original cups but im starting to change it out with the originals to give it a more original look. i ordered new ball cups but from the AE website and because they only ship to billing address, and im right now in a rental house moving, the card for the bank is still set at my original house, so im hoping it will update super soon. Anyway, the Amain parts are what i super need right now, the AE stuff can wait just a bit but i wish i could have them ordered asap. Still need to order paint but i may be able to hold off juuust a bit. and ill fasten a temporary hold down to just have someting hold down a bigger body from a b44.3 just to cover the electronics for now.
Also, how do i go about taking off the rear sway bar? ive taken off the screws and took off the ball cups, but it seems its just "stuck" and it cant be pulled out. its not a bad thing but id like to take it off if i can.
Onyx Charger.

Jared J
Approved Member

Rebuild updates and pics.

Post by Jared J »

As some of you guys(and girls) know (as wella s reading my signature.) Im rebuilding a very original Early edinger RC10 Gold Pan. It's an A stamp car that seems to be in good shape. with most original parts still on, believe it or not, i am going to be running this car in races when i get some of the original stuff out and replace them with new parts. I've already rebuild 1 shock but the others seem to not need rebuilding so ill hold off on the other shocks. When amain has restocked the front wheel conversion for 2.2 rims, ill be ordering those, and some other parts as well as paint. ive swapped out the original rear A-arms that have a hole for my rear sway bar with "normal" arms with no hole for it because ive whited the normal ones. The sway bar arms are YELLOW, so im soaking them now. Iv'e replaced the old original seering rack for the newer updated rack and used bearings instead of bushings. I have a Reedy Mach 3 17.5 and lrp esc and airtronics receiver and Savox Servo. I can not wait to run this car! If you are rally against running this car, here is my main reason of running it even though its a very early car.
This car, when it came out of the factory, was meant to go and race. And when I got it, it was in the same condition; to race. because it's not a straight out of the box minty mint, im not shelfing it. Im running it. it was made to run like all the others. and it will run again when I'm done. it has already started to run. Now, its just the little stuff keeping it from running on a track. So, sometimes when i see shelf queens i feel a little sad for the car. Instead of doing what it was meant to do, the car doesnt get to do what is even close to its purpose, Run. So, I'm not shelfing it, im not bashing it. Im running and taking great care of this car like it was meant to do. Let it free on the road or track. Shock people with it, and just have fun! That is why, im running it. i know how "Rare" this car stamp is and the parts it has are. But it started life hopefully racing and will continue to do so. Sorry for you Perfectionists who would immediately shelf it.

THERE WILL BE A CHASSIS PROJECTOR ON THIS CAR! DON'T WORRY!

Here are just some of the pics. The major physicaally seen change is the rear arms.
Attachments
Not sure why I didn't take a pic of the new steering rack but here is what the old one looks like. sorry it's blurry, but you can tell what the rack is.
Not sure why I didn't take a pic of the new steering rack but here is what the old one looks like. sorry it's blurry, but you can tell what the rack is.
The whitened arm with the new conversion hub. Looks Fantastic!!!
The whitened arm with the new conversion hub. Looks Fantastic!!!
THe right arm is the old arm, the left is the whitened arm.
THe right arm is the old arm, the left is the whitened arm.
The right side.
The right side.
The left side.
The left side.
These are only two arms for one side. The VERY yellowed one is obviously the old one. The white one is the one re-whited. this is very obvious. lol
These are only two arms for one side. The VERY yellowed one is obviously the old one. The white one is the one re-whited. this is very obvious. lol
Onyx Charger.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Re: Rebuild updates and pics.

Post by rctenracer »

Trying to follow your build on that edinger is a bit much with all your posts. Post a pic of the buggy when done .