tamiyadan
Approved Member

Re: Super Astute rere

Post by tamiyadan »

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I say bring it on with the re-releases. Maybe I'm biased, but their older stuff is cooler than their newer stuff.

I already have an Avante Black Special, but it's built (never run) and I'd like to have another in the box. Current prices are an arm and a leg. At least this way, it'll only cost me half of an arm.

The Super Astute with the TTC gearbox would be awesome. Maybe not a great car, but it brings the spares down in price for sure, and who wouldn't want to see something other than RC10s and Losi XXs at VONATS every year.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

sandkil wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 am Finally the Super Astute is next in line for a re release

https://www.facebook.com/AntonysTamiyaParts/
Great news! The Avante doesn't interest me but I'll definitely pick up a Super Astute.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Lonestar wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 am for those of us non FB'ers

https://tamiyablog.com/2018/08/first-official-photos-of-the-upcoming-tamiya-47381-super-astute-2108-47390-avante-2011-black-special/

Why "shooting themselves" in the foot?
Because some people want their original models to retain value? I don't know...doesn't make sense to me why anyone would think this is a bad idea. Tamiya has a ton of models from the '80's and '90's which are as good or better than their current entry level offerings. They should embrace their history and keep re-releasing these older models.

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

Dang it... they might get me with this one. My '92 / '93 buggy collection currently has a Dyna Storm, but should technically have the Super Astute (DS wasn't really floating around in the US until Spring/Summer '93).

But do I really want a Dyna Storm AND Super Astute? The DS has so much more cool factor... ugh!

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

jkelm24 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 pm Dang it... they might get me with this one. My '92 / '93 buggy collection currently has a Dyna Storm, but should technically have the Super Astute (DS wasn't really floating around in the US until Spring/Summer '93).

But do I really want a Dyna Storm AND Super Astute? The DS has so much more cool factor... ugh!
Yes, you want both. I have a Dyna Storm and it looks awesome, but it stays on the shelf because it's pristine and parts are impossible to find. At least for a little while, you could run a Super Astute and have access to (gasp) spare parts. Maybe it's just me, but I love how the Super Astute looks.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

jkelm24 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 pm Dang it... they might get me with this one. My '92 / '93 buggy collection currently has a Dyna Storm, but should technically have the Super Astute (DS wasn't really floating around in the US until Spring/Summer '93).

I'm in the same situation, I have a DS and DEFINITELY getting the re-re SA because it's a very rare buggy to find otherwise. I see new and used Astutes on Ebay all the time, occasional new/newer DS but rarely a SA and when they do pop up they cost an arm and a leg so, yes, you want both. Unlike the Astute, I have never seen a well-used, beat up Super Astute come up for sale on Ebay probably because they didn't sell that well to begin with and those few enthusiasts who have one keep them as purely shelf queens. The cool factor of the SA is that is was the result of Booth's modications to the original Astute for racing, IIRC. Considering Tamiya was never a powerhouse in the racing scene I think that makes it very cool.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

stickboy007 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Yes, you want both. I have a Dyna Storm and it looks awesome, but it stays on the shelf because it's pristine and parts are impossible to find. At least for a little while, you could run a Super Astute and have access to (gasp) spare parts. Maybe it's just me, but I love how the Super Astute looks.
I've talked to Brandon about this issue as well. I would love to see somebody with the #$%^ to run a DS at the VONATs but he said the same thing. He was worried about not knowing what parts actually break under racing conditions and therefore not knowing what spares to have on hand if they can even be found. However, with the advent of 3-D printing and Shapeways/Fibrelyte(?) I think a race ready version could be built. I've loosely considered it myself the last couple of years.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Yeah, I think I've seen one or two posts about race-ready Dyna Storms. Lots of 3d printed parts from ORB Racing. I used to have a second DS that I was going to turn into a runner, but the 3d printed "collection" is quite expensive and I'd have to invest quite a lot of time into it. A lot of people just run the RC10, because it drives great, is super easy to set up, and can take a real beating. I've been playing around lately with Kyosho and want to spend a few years on the Pro-X platform, so technically I have no need for a Tamiya 2wd right now. However, it would still be great to have, because it's cool. Maybe one day, VONATS will have a Classic 2wd class for cars like this and the old Ultimas and Jrx, etc. (with racing tires allowed), while the XX, World's Car, etc. would go into the standard 2wd class.

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

I think I'll be able to resist the Super Astute. Tamiya's MAP pricing has made the decision easier for me. I'm happy with my Dyna Storm. Now... if they rere the DS again... hmmmm... Wouldn't a NIB DS build the day after Christmas be awesome? Maybe not as awesome as a NIB Kyosho Triumph or ZXR build the day after Xmas, but close.

I'm slowly being seduced by the Ultima series too, but trying hard to resist. The Triumph has been a long-time favorite of mine and I'm finding myself dipping my toes into Ultima-World lately. I don't know why. Kyosho seems to have gotten it's hooks into me lately.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

As much as I'm in absolute love with the DS (I have two re-re's... one shelfer, one NiB :roll: ) I wouldn't even think about running them at all... the issue is, the SA doesn't really do it for me, it's still one of these tamiya cars that look like a half-baked attempt at a racecar... I love the totally toyish cars like the MB, I like the proto-TRF cars like the DS, but the super-astute, meh...

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

I'm hoping this release opens up the doors for Monster Racers, madcap, and saint dragons - with the new upgraded gearbox. I'm glad Tamiya upgraded the gearbox as this keeps the original a bit more exclusive, its also good to have the grey CVA shocks available again!

The new gearbox can also be bolted straight into my king cab runner! Although I doubt we'll see a king cab rere, but could definitely see a hi-lux down the line.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

fakiee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:42 am I'm hoping this release opens up the doors for Monster Racers, madcap, and saint dragons - with the new upgraded gearbox. I'm glad Tamiya upgraded the gearbox as this keeps the original a bit more exclusive, its also good to have the grey CVA shocks available again!

The new gearbox can also be bolted straight into my king cab runner! Although I doubt we'll see a king cab rere, but could definitely see a hi-lux down the line.
Shameless plug btw - I have a 99% complete new-built Saint Dragon for sale, haven't had time to list it on the boards, I acquired it as part of a bundle of cars and it needs to go... if anyone's interested, lmk :)