Need vintage motor advice please

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ELF-BMX

Need vintage motor advice please

Post by ELF-BMX »

Okay im new to the vintage side of this hobby so i need help. Im going to be building a stadium truck ( rc10,JrxT,lxt, etc.) i need recommendations for a modified motor. Im going to be sport racing no expert racing, with that said i still want to go very fast somthing equal to a modern modified 8.5t brushless, thanks for the help.

jwscab

Re: Need vintage motor advice please

Post by jwscab »

I think you would be severely disappointed with a brushed motor trying to be comparable to an 8.5 turn brushless motor. You can get some really low brushed motors, like 8 or 9 turn, but they are super temperamental and will require good gearing and a watchful eye on temps, along with frequent rebuilds. You definitely will not be able to run them long periods of time, like 6-8 or more minute races....

you could easily run an 8.5turn brushless motor in an rc10t stealth, although again, with large tires and high power, you will be after the trans often. Making sure the slipper is set correctly and keeping an eye on preventing diff slipping.

as for the jrx or lxt trans, if you are planning on running the LRM trans, you would need to build it up with at least a metal diff gear and modern slipper. you can run the retrofit trans without issue though I think. I'm not an expert but it is an upgrade in durability.

ELF-BMX

Post by ELF-BMX »

jwscab wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:47 pm I think you would be severely disappointed with a brushed motor trying to be comparable to an 8.5 turn brushless motor. You can get some really low brushed motors, like 8 or 9 turn, but they are super temperamental and will require good gearing and a watchful eye on temps, along with frequent rebuilds. You definitely will not be able to run them long periods of time, like 6-8 or more minute races....

you could easily run an 8.5turn brushless motor in an rc10t stealth, although again, with large tires and high power, you will be after the trans often. Making sure the slipper is set correctly and keeping an eye on preventing diff slipping.

as for the jrx or lxt trans, if you are planning on running the LRM trans, you would need to build it up with at least a metal diff gear and modern slipper. you can run the retrofit trans without issue though I think. I'm not an expert but it is an upgrade in durability.
I was hoping that wasn’t the case but it is what it is, whith that said how about just a good modified motor not comparable to todsys motors just a good fast stong motor,any suggestions?or is my best bet to look at others people setuos in the gallery and copy them?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

that is a great way to get a starting point. Back in vintage times, there were tons of motor manufacturers, so there are plenty to choose from, if you can still find them. Reedy, twister, Checkpoint, trinity, etc.

anything in the 12-14 turn is going to be a really fast solid motor from back in the day for offroad. still limited in run time and maintenance.

ELF-BMX

Post by ELF-BMX »

jwscab wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:00 pm that is a great way to get a starting point. Back in vintage times, there were tons of motor manufacturers, so there are plenty to choose from, if you can still find them. Reedy, twister, Checkpoint, trinity, etc.

anything in the 12-14 turn is going to be a really fast solid motor from back in the day for offroad. still limited in run time and maintenance.
Awesome thanks thats good info to start with motor and maintenance and run time is not issue it wont be an every weekend racer just once and a while practice racing thanks again

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I am running a RC10T at my local turf track and I can tell you that brushless 8.5t is too much. When I set up my truck for the track, an old tired D4 trinity 8.5t motor is what I had laying around, so that's what I installed. It was murder trying to get it under control at the track. Mind you, the truck is also equipped with factory team 4.2 shocks and a 4.2 slipper on the tans to help control everything. A newer 8.5 would be even worse. I could never use anything over half throttle. It would either pull a wheelie or at the least unload the front end so hard that there was no control. This was with no turbo or boost, total timing at about 4 deg. and punch turned down all the way to 1. Not only is it uncontrollable, but it's severely pushing the limits of what the ball diff can handle. I'm sure this will start a controversy, but I will tell you that level of power does not exist in brushed motors. Your vintage truck will be much happier with a correctly geared 13.5t-10.5t brushless motor. I switched mine out for a 13.5t schuur speed and I have a much happier truck. If you're just looking for a powerful brushed old school motor, i like a 14t quad for the best all around torque vs rpm etc. With brushed motors, low turns and high timing will get you better performance at the price of constant maintenance.

ELF-BMX

Post by ELF-BMX »

Basher67 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:16 pm I am running a RC10T at my local turf track and I can tell you that brushless 8.5t is too much. When I set up my truck for the track, an old tired D4 trinity 8.5t motor is what I had laying around, so that's what I installed. It was murder trying to get it under control at the track. Mind you, the truck is also equipped with factory team 4.2 shocks and a 4.2 slipper on the tans to help control everything. A newer 8.5 would be even worse. I could never use anything over half throttle. It would either pull a wheelie or at the least unload the front end so hard that there was no control. This was with no turbo or boost, total timing at about 4 deg. and punch turned down all the way to 1. Not only is it uncontrollable, but it's severely pushing the limits of what the ball diff can handle. I'm sure this will start a controversy, but I will tell you that level of power does not exist in brushed motors. Your vintage truck will be much happier with a correctly geared 13.5t-10.5t brushless motor. I switched mine out for a 13.5t schuur speed and I have a much happier truck. If you're just looking for a powerful brushed old school motor, i like a 14t quad for the best all around torque vs rpm etc. With brushed motors, low turns and high timing will get you better performance at the price of constant maintenance.
Great info, this is the responses im looking for, experienced
Thanks so much ill let you know wag i end up doing