Newbie with a story.....

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

BMXDad

Newbie with a story.....

Post by BMXDad »

Glad to have stumbled across this forum !!!

My story:

Back in the early 90s, I raced dirt oval. Had a TQ10 (RC10 Graphite) that was set up for oval.....lower shock towers, short shocks on all four corners, a Stealth Transmission, all Titanium hinge pins/turnbuckles, etc etc etc. Due to having kids of my own, as well as moving to an area where the closest track was 80 miles away, my RC racing took a back seat. Everything was boxed up and sat for a few years, until I finally decided to just give it ALL to a family that had a couple of boys in the 10-12 yr old range. Three radios, batteries, a Tekin Charger, all of the spare parts....everything....I even thru a Bolink Invader in the box for good measure.

A couple of months ago, I discovered an indoor oval track just a few miles from my house. Got to talking with the family I had donated all of my stuff do, only to find out that "That junk is all sitting in a box up in the attic". The kids I had given it all to had grown up and moved out. Dad was tired of moving the bunk around, so 20 yrs after giving it away, I got it back !!

Well, what I got back is NOT what I gave them (no surprise there). No wheels, no receivers, no batteries (they were all Ni-Cads anyway)....but the biggest "missing" item?? No chassis. For whatever the reason, the kids decided to take everything off of the chassis. I got the shock towers/bulkheads/control arms, and all of the major suspension components, but No Chassis and No Wheels !!!!

Does anybody know of a chassis I could use in place of the original? I would prefer to avoid a pan chassis, as I had actually reversed the transmission so I could run mid mount. Is there an Associated (or aftermarket) chassis that has all of the holes already pre-drilled, in the correct places?? I know there are plenty of oval conversions out there, but I have no idea if one of these conversion chassis would work, or if the geometry of a later graphite or carbon chassis would work. As I don't have the original chassis, I don't have a template to work from, so would not be able to drill holes in the correct locations, etc.

My plan is to put this thing back into racing form, and use it in the street stock class. I think it would be cool to be the old guy running the nearly 25 year old car !!

coxbros1

Re: Newbie with a story.....

Post by coxbros1 »

Hit up "they took my thumb", thats his username. dudes an encyclopedia on the TQ10, tell him i sent you. He might even have a chassis, but good luck getn it from him. His memories with that car are more ceremonial than physical. Its an oval chassis for the TQ10. Pic of it in his avatar. Good luck with the build 8)
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^ They have A LOT more faith in my scope of knowledge than I do! Sorry, but I'm not an "encyclopedia" on anything! :oops: In fact, one of my first orders of business on this forum was getting help with an I.D. of the chassis in my avatar. There are many members on here that truly are encyclopedias though, and I'm sure someone can help you in your quest. Good luck and welcome! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Welcome to the forums, i believe you posted this question in another thread , I added some info and links for you there before I saw you started this thread.

Good luck, and take some pictures. We like pictures :mrgreen:

BMXDad

Post by BMXDad »

jwscab wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 am Welcome to the forums, i believe you posted this question in another thread , I added some info and links for you there before I saw you started this thread.

Good luck, and take some pictures. We like pictures :mrgreen:

Yes I did....but then I got to thinking that as a newb, I probably oughta at least start some sort of introductory thread instead of just jumping in and piggy-backing on somebody else's topic.....which is why I started this one.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I don't think there is anything readily available that is a one piece chassis. Anything these days would require the use of a nose from a tub chassis.

Keep an eye out on ebay for an old graphite chassis. Eventually, something will show up.

BMXDad

Post by BMXDad »

This will most likely turn into a winter project, with the intent of eventually making a street stock out of it for oval racing. I am wanting to get back into racing ovals, but I am fairly certain that when put up against the modern conversion packages/cars marketed specifically for ovals, that I would be left in the dust, at least in the faster classes.

It should be fun however, sourcing the needed parts to get it running. I found https://www.kranzelshobbies.com/terminator-kits/ which appear to be a conversion for the RC10.....at least that is what their ad says.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

The Kranzel's Terminator is the same thing. Requires a separate nose plate. You could use and rc10 nose and suspension, but they have their own for it, which requires using their front arms and shock tower.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Welcome aboard, and cool story :)

As said above, you will struggle to find a one-piece solution to your chassis needs, the used car market is the way to go... I sold one a few weeks ago, but it isn't cheap either, especially if you want it in good shape. Most of them have some delamination at the nose edge as cars inevitably dart some of the jumps during their lives. The reason why no one does them anymore has to do with the complexity of machining carbon plates with kickup...

Good luck with your search :)

Best,
Paul

(Ps: show us pitchers :D )
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

nothing wrong with using a noseplate, either. plenty of them around to be found.

BMXDad

Post by BMXDad »

scr8p wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:58 am The Kranzel's Terminator is the same thing. Requires a separate nose plate. You could use and rc10 nose and suspension, but they have their own for it, which requires using their front arms and shock tower.
Thnx.

I doubt my suspension arms and tranny will bolt up to one of these modern day Associated oval conversions.......most of those are a flat (not sure about nose kick up) plate that your arms and components bolt on to. I doubt that the bolt patterns stayed the same over the years tho, considering that these conversions use B4,5.6 suspension arms/blocks.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

I still think if "thumbs" got the right offer he would cave
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Here's a Mid Mount conversion graphite chassis kit that I have purchased myself, great quality and you should be able to modify it to your liking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Associated-RC10-Vintage-Stealth-Mid-Conversion-Kit-RC10-VSM/192852087973?hash=item2ce6e154a5:g:nqMAAOSwSxRb3JXW

Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

BMXDad

Post by BMXDad »

I'll have to look into that....Thanks !!!!

Looks as tho I would have to add a front kick up piece upon which to mount the front suspension, but that wouldn't be that difficult.

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Yes you would need a nose piece.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44