RC10 Classic re vive

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RCAddict777

RC10 Classic re vive

Post by RCAddict777 »

hello,

i dug out my RC10 for hopes of getting it going again. It is the original 1984 gold pan, my first rc that hooked me. Anyways, I dont want to restore and shelf it, I want to upgrade and drive it. I am wondering what newer or modernized parts are compatible with it. It's the old #6010 kit, completely stock. Any advice would be much appreciated and i hope i was not too vague in my description. Thank you in advance for your time.

jwscab

Re: RC10 Classic re vive

Post by jwscab »

welcome to the forums.

what are you plans for it? cruise around the back yard? drive on a track? etc?

for the most part, the car itself should work perfectly fine as it sits as long as you just do some general cleanup and maintenance. If it has been sitting in a very dry place, some of the plastics could be somewhat brittle. this can be overcome a little by boiling or soaking the white nylon parts in water. 10-15 mins boiling, something like overnight in a room temp soak.

it would be worthwhile to download a copy of the manual and go through the assembly to make sure you've got it built right.

from there, the biggest divergence from 1980's is all electronics and tires. you can update your radio, battery, motor, esc, or none at all if it works. I suspect the batteries will be the weakest part and will give you the most headache, closely followed by the radio especially if its an older am set. you can pick up rather inexpensive nicads as well as newer 2.4G radio systems that will very much improved. You could also step up to nimh(not really great) or lipo, which both require updated chargers.

as for wheels and tires, you can buy lots of different options, both the classic and worlds buggies were rereleased a few years ago,and although most of the parts are pretty much dried up, you can still get wheels and tires. additionally, you can find lots of used and new wheels on ebay that would fit. the originals are referred to as 'jelly bean' . the other best alternative is to get 2.2" wheels that are direct fit from jcracing in the UK. then pretty much any tire you want to find in 2.2"

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

And if you post a pic of it you will receive more response :wink:

RCAddict777

Post by RCAddict777 »

Thank you for the info and speedy response. I would've added pics but it is completly torn apart. I will upload when i get it back together. Most of the parts are in decent shape except for the steering bellcrank is broken and in need of new bearings throughout the car. I drove it constantly when i was a kid, so it is very used. Would anyone know where to get a parts for the steering or a compatible work around. Again, thanks for the helpful info.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

RCAddict777

Post by RCAddict777 »

I included a couple pics this time, i have it all stripped down to clean and try the re-hydration tip you suggested. Also i was wondering if anyone knows where i could get some rear axles that will work. Mine are a bit worn. anyways, thanks, and any tips or suggestions are welcomed.
Attachments
02.jpg
01.jpg

RCAddict777

Post by RCAddict777 »

I found the rear axles on the Associated web site, i fell like such a dope. hahaha

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

The good thing is you have the right tools for the job!
37DC0FA1-10B7-47D0-A7B5-75CC7942EFE8.jpeg
37DC0FA1-10B7-47D0-A7B5-75CC7942EFE8.jpeg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
37DC0FA1-10B7-47D0-A7B5-75CC7942EFE8.jpeg
37DC0FA1-10B7-47D0-A7B5-75CC7942EFE8.jpeg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
Chris

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

I’ve read that the original six gear transmission (which I suppose is the one in your car) does not handle new brushless motors well. I think this is one of the most common upgrades people do. But since your car is one of the earlier versions, I would try to restore it to its original condition, even if it is just going to be bashed around.
Chris

RCAddict777

Post by RCAddict777 »

Do any of the more recent RC10 transmissions fit in the old versions?

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

RCAddict777 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:48 pm Do any of the more recent RC10 transmissions fit in the old versions?
All I know is that the Stealth transmission requires different screw holes in the chassis. No idea about newer transmissions.
Chris

RCAddict777

Post by RCAddict777 »

Ok thanks for the info. Much appreciated