SDRA RC DRAG RACING 3-7-2020

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

KidAgain
Approved Member

SDRA RC DRAG RACING 3-7-2020

Post by KidAgain »

First race of the season ‘WINTERNATIONALS’

Next race March 28th @ 500 Diamond Drive Lake Elsinore Ca.

https://youtu.be/g8Jav40eLUA

Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: SDRA RC DRAG RACING 3-7-2020

Post by Basher67 »

I'm building my first no-prep drag car. I'll be posting a thread on it soon. Trying to get some interest going in southern Oregon. Still working on a place to run, possibly getting a tree, etc. Looks like alot of fun. Love the scale aspect of some of these cars.

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

I’m addicted went from clay to this it’s been a blast and a steep learning curve, still working on the car every race.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I'm hearing it's very popular all over California. Quite a few clubs. We have a pretty good amount of rc racers and crawlers all over Oregon and up into Washington, but no drag racing action yet that I know of. My car is almost ready to start doing some test hits, just waiting for my wheels to arrive. One of my buddies is looking at building one right now. Hopefully it will gain in popularity up here so we can get some scale 1/4 mile action going. You should show some pics of your car and give us some specs on what you're running. :D

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

We have a small group of drag racers starting up in Vancouver, WA. It looks like they meet up for no prep test and tune on Sunday’s.
Attachments
5C50815C-36E5-4533-AF32-517679F1BA74.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Sorry guys the next race is on the 28th not 21st.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

GoMachV wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:37 pm We have a small group of drag racers starting up in Vancouver, WA. It looks like they meet up for no prep test and tune on Sunday’s.
Any plans on producing any chassis kits or wheelie bars for drag racing? :D Chuckworks has some cool stuff, but only for traxxas products it seems. Not a lot of options out there for AE or Losi based cars.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Not really, I don’t trust AE anymore. By the time I release a product they will have discontinued support for it. Losi isn’t popular around here so it would be tough to get people into it. We do Traxxas chassis but that’s about it. We don’t do wheelie bars; all I ever see is complaining about breaking them and I don’t want to be the guy making parts that break even if it is from abuse.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Basher67 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:54 pm
GoMachV wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:37 pm We have a small group of drag racers starting up in Vancouver, WA. It looks like they meet up for no prep test and tune on Sunday’s.
Any plans on producing any chassis kits or wheelie bars for drag racing? :D Chuckworks has some cool stuff, but only for traxxas products it seems. Not a lot of options out there for AE or Losi based cars.
If its an Associated car I can help in finding parts, if you look at my street outlaw build you'll see a carbon fiber chassis and wheelie bar that is made for the car...................

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Basher67 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:19 pm I'm hearing it's very popular all over California. Quite a few clubs. We have a pretty good amount of rc racers and crawlers all over Oregon and up into Washington, but no drag racing action yet that I know of. My car is almost ready to start doing some test hits, just waiting for my wheels to arrive. One of my buddies is looking at building one right now. Hopefully it will gain in popularity up here so we can get some scale 1/4 mile action going. You should show some pics of your car and give us some specs on what you're running. :D
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=44352&start=15

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Nice car. Beautiful paint job. How hard is it to keep the front end down running a 3.5t in a rear motor car?

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Basher67 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:32 pm Nice car. Beautiful paint job. How hard is it to keep the front end down running a 3.5t in a rear motor car?
You will need an ESC that has features to control the punch, timing and so on to be able to control the car for track conditions.

When I had the PUNCH set to high it would wheelie or spin out on command it took a few changes to slow the HIT down a little, the timing was the biggest factor I gained about 3-5mph turning the timing up bit by bit for more top end since I was slowing down the start to be able to launch.

Now if I only learn the capabilities of my transmitter I can do more for OFF THE LINE starts, I slowed the travel & speed down on the steering servo through the transmitter and that saved me from constantly over correcting and flipping over, these cars get very sensitive to steering input mid and top end.

Shock oils need to be heavy you dont want too much rebound and the wheelie bar height should be about 1/8"-3/16" off the pavement.

One big thing the car may run great on your street but on an actual track with prep its tricky, no prep races even trickier but you can simulate the conditions anywhere...

You have 2 choices narrow body or wide body, most are running narrow body set ups like me which require buggy arms and the rest of the items to shorten the width....................

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I built mine using the B5M/SC5M platform. When I started, I heard alot about narrowing a short course truck, but in reality, it is much easier and cost effective to start with a buggy. Arms, driveshafts, turnbuckles, shock towers, sway bars, shocks etc all come from the buggy. If you start with a buggy, you just switch to the short course chassis and body mounts, if you're using the factory ones.
The reason I asked about your rear motor car, is that most of the ones I've seen, seem to have a tendency to be wheelie machines, although I have seen a couple of them that look to be pretty dialed. This was a concern I had when choosing the platform to base my car from. From what I'm seeing online, it looks like there is quite a few guys leaning toward mid motor cars
I'll be setting up my transmitter to launch by pressing a button and then have the timing change after the initial launch. from there, timing will be adjusted through turbo settings in the esc. The Hobby wing esc's that I use, link to my laptop and keep a log of rpm's and other useful info for getting the most out of your motor/esc combo. I've used them in my buggy and my short course truck for a couple years in carpet racing and have been very pleased with the performance. With the steering, I will be running 2 profiles. One with very little travel, by adjusting dual rate and exponential, and a second one that gives me full steering to turn around and bring it back after the run.

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Basher67 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 am I built mine using the B5M/SC5M platform. When I started, I heard alot about narrowing a short course truck, but in reality, it is much easier and cost effective to start with a buggy. Arms, driveshafts, turnbuckles, shock towers, sway bars, shocks etc all come from the buggy. If you start with a buggy, you just switch to the short course chassis and body mounts, if you're using the factory ones.
The reason I asked about your rear motor car, is that most of the ones I've seen, seem to have a tendency to be wheelie machines, although I have seen a couple of them that look to be pretty dialed. This was a concern I had when choosing the platform to base my car from. From what I'm seeing online, it looks like there is quite a few guys leaning toward mid motor cars
I'll be setting up my transmitter to launch by pressing a button and then have the timing change after the initial launch. from there, timing will be adjusted through turbo settings in the esc. The Hobby wing esc's that I use, link to my laptop and keep a log of rpm's and other useful info for getting the most out of your motor/esc combo. I've used them in my buggy and my short course truck for a couple years in carpet racing and have been very pleased with the performance. With the steering, I will be running 2 profiles. One with very little travel, by adjusting dual rate and exponential, and a second one that gives me full steering to turn around and bring it back after the run.
You're way ahead of the game then with the ESC and transmitter settings, dont let the rear motor set up stop you Ive been in the semis twice and final once already just figure out the launch and the rest will be fine.

My Pro Stock DS is mid mount and I can pop wheelies off the line and mid track if I have to let off the throttle and get back in it, make the car as light as possible so you can put weight where you want it like in the FRONT to keep her down....................

Check out the video my launches seem pretty good for a rear motor car :wink:

https://youtu.be/-pclPtzBdoo

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Looks like you have it dialed in pretty good. I can't wait to do some test hits this weekend. My buddy's parts for his b6.1/sc6.1 build should be in by the end of the week. I'm excited. Looking forward to experimenting with the setup on our cars. I run on a carpet offroad track 1-2 times a week and play around with some crawlers, but this looks like a fun new form of rc competition for me. I'll post a thread on my car in the next couple days. I'd love your input on what I've got so far. Looks like you got a lot of experience at this.