questions on LS2 parts compatibility

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mcdze
Approved Member

questions on LS2 parts compatibility

Post by mcdze »

this old truck has been passed between me, my brother, and son since new all 3 of us have 'tried' to race it at one point or another but i'd like to freshen it and hit a local track beginner class with it just for fun .. so the questions -- will a rustler/stampede tranny bolt on without modifying the chassis, will the guts out of the ls2 tranny fit in the stampede tranny, and will stampede lower front arms work on the stock front bulkhead? any help is appreciated, theres some aluminum parts i want to put on it to race .. after i debut at the new track with it i'll likely restore it, but i want to run it for nostalgias sake ..
Attachments
CIMG1444.JPG

TRX-1-3

Re: questions on LS2 parts compatibility

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Pretty sure the Rustler trans innards are the same. Not sure on the other stuff. You could try some RPM Nitro Rustler front arms in the front. You would need to use some spacers on the inboard mounts. The LSII bulkhead is narrower. If the Stampede uses the same front bulkhead as the Rustler, then same issue there with the inboard width thing. Unfortunately, those 1931 front arms are hard to come by. I wouldn't take it to the track with those white front arms. Hook a pipe and it's running over parts time. You could head over to the Traxxas website and cross reference some legacy parts lists and exploded views and get an idea of parts compatibility. Sweet truck BTW.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

mcdze
Approved Member

Post by mcdze »

thanks for the input, we'll get some kindof frankenbuggy goin here without risking the old white parts ..

mcdze
Approved Member

Post by mcdze »

ok heres what i found out by just pulling the trigger in the dark on a few things, for future reference anybody else wondering - traxxas slash rear arms are about direct replacement for ls2 arms, the new style trannies with the built in or detachable mounts for stampede slash etc, place the mounting holes in the mounts directly in the same location on the old ls2 chassis, but the front of the trans doesnt hook in the shock tower like the old style, instead theres two threaded holes up front and a brace could be fabricated easily out of aluminum etc to attach it without any mods .. so the new trannies will bolt up 100% with no chassis mods ... the difference is the suspension mounts move the arms outward 1/4" or so ... this will require different links is the main issue, most drive axles should accomodate that difference imo ... the front arms as mentioned above, for the 'slash' place the positions of everything very close to original but are slightly wider overall, and will require spacers in the inner mount, maybe on the links and shock mount depending , and longer links probably ... so modernizing with a bullet proof rear end and arms is dooable without modifying the original chassis thats the main thing .. gotta thank traxxas for keeping things compatible, one of their few saving graces imo lol, never thought too highly of traxxas ...

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Then why not just buy a rustler and put that one aside?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

mcdze
Approved Member

Post by mcdze »

.. this is what its come to :wink: .. what i decided to do is keep it all original and restore that one, all i need is white front axle carriers and i have everything to be 100% correct ... and i bought a large sheet of 3mil carbon fiber to 'copy' the chassis, stretch it maybe an inch, i like the ls2 double deck chassis design more than the new style slash/rustler designs .. and create a one off take no prisoners franken-truck with a re-engineered front geometry and steering, more antisquat in the back, and a pro modified brushless setup ... thats the plan man 8) ...

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Dude, Factory Works / Vintage A&L makes some pretty sweet stuff for the Traxxas line of products. You could make essentially an SRT out of a Rustler. Double deck chassis and all.

http://www.factoryworks.com/
Hope you're doin' something fun.

mcdze
Approved Member

Post by mcdze »

thats all i need is more stuff to tempt me to empty my wallet haha :lol: .. im already moving on my 'vision' of what i want to build .. alot has to do with the fact ive had the ls2 forever and a day and want to do something with 'that truck' .. so it at least has to 'smell' like an ls2 lol .. making my own chassis with the original design battery box and towers and my old body ought to keep that feeling alive .. i want to race it to, thats something i could never pull off successfully with that truck, it was such a limp noodle on the track haha .. we're gonna 'fix' that ...