Is Vaterra gone for good?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Is Vaterra gone for good?

Post by XLR8 »

Every vehicle appears to be discontinued everywhere I look.
Granted, not the best products overall but their bodies seemed to be very scale. I have two on-road cars (v100s Camaros) and wondering if I should stock up on spare parts while they're still available.
Has anyone heard anything official?
thanks
Attachments
Vaterra 70 Camaro SS.JPG
Vaterra 69 Camaro RS SS.JPG
Doug

juicedcoupe

Re: Is Vaterra gone for good?

Post by juicedcoupe »

IMHO, you probably need to stock up on spare parts for anything current while you can.

With the exception of Traxxas (Tamiya isn't too bad), it seems like everyone phases out cars and spare parts frequently.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

XLR8 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:51 am Every vehicle appears to be discontinued everywhere I look.
Granted, not the best products overall but their bodies seemed to be very scale. I have two on-road cars (v100s Camaros) and wondering if I should stock up on spare parts while they're still available.
thanks
I have not heard anything official but i was had same question as i dont see those cars offered anywhere anymore. If those are your favorite cars to run i would indeed suggest stocking up on parts. That's something i do with my favorite models...lucky for me i only have three favorites, Axial SCX10, RC10DS, and of course RC10GT. :lol:
juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:56 pm IMHO, you probably need to stock up on spare parts for anything current while you can.

With the exception of Traxxas (Tamiya isn't too bad), it seems like everyone phases out cars and spare parts frequently.
Words of wisdom :D

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

LoboNYC wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 pm
XLR8 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:51 am Every vehicle appears to be discontinued everywhere I look.
thanks
I have not heard anything official but i was had same question as i dont see those cars offered anywhere anymore. If those are your favorite cars to run i would indeed suggest stocking up on parts. That's something i do with my favorite models...lucky for me i only have three favorites, Axial SCX10, RC10DS, and of course RC10GT. :lol:
juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:56 pm IMHO, you probably need to stock up on spare parts for anything current while you can.

Words of wisdom :D
Yeah, it appears they are just working to sell remaining stock then perhaps Vaterra will become a part of RC history.
Actually, the V100S isn't my favorite car to run. Usually when I head out to the church parking lot for a little on-road fun, I'll grab the Camaro and the Kyosho Fazer Chevelle. The Fazer is a much better handling car (more predictable) and more fun to drive overall. Although they have similar motor specs, the Fazer is also a little faster.
Perhaps this explains why Kyosho is still producing cars and Vaterra is not. :roll:
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I recieved an email for Horizon Hobby today announcing the addition of a "new" '69 Camaro 1/10 scale on-road RTR to the Losi lineup. This appears to the same V100 AWD platform that was previously sold by Vaterra so maybe this is an effort by HH to consolidate brands. Anyway, this means parts availability for this model will continue for the near future.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-10-1969-chevy-camaro-v100-awd-brushed-rtr/LOS03033.html

I think this new b/w body looks great so I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the car.
LOS03033T2_A15_Q3QY5Y6K.jpg

The body set alone is (or will become) available but so far it appears to include a black grille, mirrors and bumpers so I've reached out to HH and asked about this set with chrome parts.
LOS230081_A0_BHQM9QR5.jpg
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1969-chevy-camaro-body-set-clear-v100/LOS230081.html

The Camaro is one of my all-time favorite muscle cars so I'm really happy about this announcement. :D
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Just received order status update email from Horizon - my order has shipped. I'll post some photos when it arrives.
If anyone is interested, these are now in stock.
The Camaro body was available a few days ago but I see now they've already sold out.
Doug

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

XLR8 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:15 pm Just received order status update email from Horizon - my order has shipped. I'll post some photos when it arrives.
The Camaro body was available a few days ago but I see now they've already sold out.
Nice!!! I just found them on ebay and ordered one. I was tempted to order two but I believe these are 190mm in width. I prefer 200mm or more which is why i have two Kyosho Camaro bodies in my inventory :mrgreen:

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Is Vaterra gone for good? Some items are moved to Losi

Post by XLR8 »

LoboNYC wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:10 am
XLR8 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:15 pm Just received order status update email from Horizon - my order has shipped. I'll post some photos when it arrives.
Nice!!! I just found them on ebay and ordered one. I was tempted to order two but I believe these are 190mm in width. I prefer 200mm or more which is why i have two Kyosho Camaro bodies in my inventory :mrgreen:
Awesome!! My order is arriving via FedEX tomorrow. So did you order the RTR or just the body kit?
I wasn't aware that Kyosho and Vaterra (Losi) Camaro bodies were different widths. That's good info, thanks for that.
I still haven't gotten an answer from HH regarding the chrome parts.
I'm an old guy who still prefers shiny paint and lots of chrome. 8)
Doug

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

XLR8 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:16 am
Awesome!! My order is arriving via FedEX tomorrow. So did you order the RTR or just the body kit?
I wasn't aware that Kyosho and Vaterra (Losi) Camaro bodies were different widths. That's good info, thanks for that.
I love getting FedEx packages....or any RC packages for that matter :mrgreen:

I ordered the Losi clear body kit and i believe it will arrive with the chrome parts (I will keep you posted on what i receive). I only get the body kits so that i can stuff a DS car underneath it :D

And yes, they are different widths. I believe i read somewhere that Losi is 190mm (i would love to find this on its website).

The Kyosho Camaro body is 210mm wide and wheel base is 260mm (according to the Kyosho website)

The Kyosho Chevelle, Charger, El Camino, and GTO bodies are 210mm wide and wheel base is 274mm (hence the need to use the longer wheelbase GT chassis on my Chevelle project)

The Kyosho website states that the Chevelle body is 200mm wide but i think that is an error because all the other bodies are 210mm.

The HPI 69 Camaro body is 200mm wide and wheelbase is 254mm

The HPI 68 Camaro, 70 Cuda and 70 Charger bodies are 200mm wide in the front and 210mm in the rear and the wheelbase is 254mm

Hope that helps. Oh yeah...i love chrome parts as well :mrgreen:

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

LoboNYC wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:03 pm
XLR8 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:16 am
I love getting FedEx packages....or any RC packages for that matter :mrgreen:

I ordered the Losi clear body kit and i believe it will arrive with the chrome parts (I will keep you posted on what i receive). I only get the body kits so that i can stuff a DS car underneath it :D

And yes, they are different widths. I believe i read somewhere that Losi is 190mm (i would love to find this on its website).

The Kyosho Camaro body is 210mm wide and wheel base is 260mm (according to the Kyosho website)

The Kyosho Chevelle, Charger, El Camino, and GTO bodies are 210mm wide and wheel base is 274mm (hence the need to use the longer wheelbase GT chassis on my Chevelle project)

The Kyosho website states that the Chevelle body is 200mm wide but i think that is an error because all the other bodies are 210mm.

The HPI 69 Camaro body is 200mm wide and wheelbase is 254mm

The HPI 68 Camaro, 70 Cuda and 70 Charger bodies are 200mm wide in the front and 210mm in the rear and the wheelbase is 254mm

Hope that helps. Oh yeah...i love chrome parts as well :mrgreen:

Well, I really hope your body kit arrives with chrome parts. However, if it does then I will be kicking myself. I ordered the RTR because, at the time, it appeared to be the only way to get the body with chrome parts. I could have save a lot of money just ordering the body kit.
I guess that demonstrates how obsessed I am about chrome. :roll:

So the Kyosho Camaro could be a full 20mm wider than the Losi? WOW, that's a huge difference! FWIW, I'll attempt to confirm the Losi body width tomorrow.
I've seen a few HPI Camaro bodies on ebay and they look really nice and scale. It's a shame HPI discontinued them.

I've also seen a few Kyosho El Camino's posted on ebay - but at scalper prices. I'm guessing these are pre-production review models because they're still not available for purchase on Kyosho's website. Kyosho is great when it comes to announcing new models but not so great about following through and making them available for purchase.
In fact, there are so few models of any kind in stock on Kyosho's site that it makes me wonder how they make payroll and keep the lights on. How does such a business operate and survive without inventory?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with your Camaro body. You definitely need to post the build here. :D
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

And here it is straight from the FedEX truck.

P1010879.JPG

Same packaging design as Vaterra
P1010880.JPG
P1010881.JPG

Includes typical extras; manual, tools, tx batteries, a few spare parts...
P1010883.JPG

and sticker sheet remnants - that's odd, I've not seen that before.
P1010884.JPG

Oh look, they've included a miniature novelty transmitter -- wait a minute, that's the transmitter. haha... What a joke! At least it has a padded wheel (the cheapo Spektrum tx included with Vaterra had a plastic wheel). Anyway...
P1010882.JPG
Chassis appears same as Vaterra except battery strap lacks the logo (RIP Vaterra).
Also includes LED's for headlights, twin tailights, and in the front valance but they've wired the car with EC3 connector so I'll need to change that to something I have.
P1010885.JPG

Stickers need a little adjustment but otherwise I think it's just drop dead gorgeous. What do y'all think?

P1010887.JPG
P1010889.JPG

Distance between wheel arches:
Front: 7 9/16" (192mm)
Rear: 7 5/8" (193.7mm)
Doug

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Well, I really hope your body kit arrives with chrome parts. However, if it does then I will be kicking myself. I ordered the RTR because, at the time, it appeared to be the only way to get the body with chrome parts. I could have save a lot of money just ordering the body kit.
I guess that demonstrates how obsessed I am about chrome. :roll:

Now that's true Chrome Obsession :lol: I will let you know if it comes with chrome pieces.

So the Kyosho Camaro could be a full 20mm wider than the Losi? WOW, that's a huge difference! FWIW, I'll attempt to confirm the Losi body width tomorrow.
I've seen a few HPI Camaro bodies on ebay and they look really nice and scale. It's a shame HPI discontinued them.
Yep, according to the website it is 210mm. Im counting on that because the DS tends to be wide so you need front wheels with 0 offset. I agree about it being a shame that HPI has discontinued the muscle cars. The HPI 69 Camaro was the body i used on my first nitro DS and it came together so well.

I've also seen a few Kyosho El Camino's posted on ebay - but at scalper prices. I'm guessing these are pre-production review models because they're still not available for purchase on Kyosho's website. Kyosho is great when it comes to announcing new models but not so great about following through and making them available for purchase.
In fact, there are so few models of any kind in stock on Kyosho's site that it makes me wonder how they make payroll and keep the lights on. How does such a business operate and survive without inventory?

There are a few vendors on ebay that have them available at regular prices...i dont want to purchase the whole car just for the body though because i will need to make new body mount holes. Im looking to slide a DS chassis underneath an El camino clear body kit.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with your Camaro body. You definitely need to post the build here. :D

I will definitely post it here, you can count on that. :mrgreen:
By the way, thanks for posting the photos of your newly arrived package and the measurements. That car looks so good!!!

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Hi Doug,

I told you i would keep you updated on the Losi Clear body Kit (LOS230081).

It comes with black bumpers, grill, and side mirrors.

The only chrome parts are the light buckets that go inside the car.

I searched the Losi website for a chrome version but did not see one available so your whole car purchase was not in vain. :wink:

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Well, hmmm. I was thinking they were probably black. The items kinda look black in the photo. With the right paint color on the body, the black grille and bumpers could look very good.

Also, there is this mystery item posted with the replacement parts:
Losi Camaro body parts.JPG
Losi Camaro body parts.JPG (28.05 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Losi Camaro body parts.JPG
Losi Camaro body parts.JPG (28.05 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

The question; is it black or chrome - it's not clear and there's no image. I've emailed HH about this but the reply I got really didn't answer the question. I guess I'll give them a call and see if I can pin them down on this.
That seems pricey for bumpers, grille, and a pair of mirrors. Perhaps they are black chrome?

Notice that all hard plastic parts attached to the body carry the same part number (LOS230085), so it could be the very same parts that were include with your body set (black bumpers, grille, mirrors, and chrome light buckets). So it's everything minus the lexan body and stickers.
losi Camaro body set.JPG
BTW, I've spent a few hours tonight working on one of my earlier Vaterra V100 RTR's. It's being converted to a rally style chassis and I'm going with a Tamiya Brat body. I need to shorten the wheelbase a few mm's to fit the body and give it some more suspension travel to go offroad but it seems possible. Now that replacement parts for this chassis are available again, I don't mind experimenting a little. I'll post a work-in-progress photo tomorrow.

thanks for the update.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I've searched through my boxes of wheels and tires looking for something scale and suitable for the Vaterra V100/Brat but the only tires I could find were a pair of the vintage original tires (9400554) that came with the original Tamiya Brat kit. These would be perfect for this build however I only have a pair (and they're a little dry rotted) and new ones are out of stock everywhere. Also, I don't have a set of wheels for them that are also hex drive.

So, next option are the Tamiya 54735 Mud Block tires that come with the CC-01 chassis kits. These are nearly same dimensions as the original Brat tires and fit common 1.9 wheels. I have a set on my '75 Blazer and they look great.
Tamiya Mud Block tires 54735.jpg

The problem is they are also out of stock. Anyway, I really wanted this build to be quick and use parts that are on hand.
So, I'm going with something that isn't scale; a set of Kyosho 4WD buggy tires.

Although it might not be readily apparent in this first pic, the V100's wheelbase doesn't suit the Brat.
P1010968.JPG
This is easier to see this while the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
P1010970.JPG
So the solution seems simple; never drive the truck in a straight line and it'll be good. :wink:

So far, this is just a mockup: I've literally just bolted on the wheels, removed the foam bumper and made some adjustments to body posts.
P1010971.JPG
P1010973.JPG
P1010977.JPG
Ground clearance seems okay -- for where I'll be driving anyway.
P1010979.JPG
I'll remove that foam bumper mount assembly and relocate the body posts to the top of the front gear case.
P1010980.JPG
So the plan is to replace the plastic tub chassis with a scratch-made aluminum plate chassis to correct the wheelbase (and because I like designing and making parts). I'll probably extend the plate a little ahead of the front gear box and form a small angle kick-up to help the truck move over rough terrain.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. I think it could be a fun little truck. :D
Doug