My Super XXT Runner Build

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bird
Approved Member

My Super XXT Runner Build

Post by bird »

I started collecting XXT kits and parts for my Shelf Queen, and found myself with 5 complete XXTs after a year of doing so. I decided to build a Super XXT with all modern electrics, and the best of 90s parts.
Attachments
IMG_6167.jpg

bird
Approved Member

Re: My Super XXT Runner Build

Post by bird »

Every part was chosen for being the lightest weight, without sacrificing strength. I am using longer screws and washers to increase build strength. I could have used more aluminum, but the Plastic parts weigh much less so I stuck with them. I am using Yellow seal Ceramic bearings everywhere in the truck, even the steering.
Attachments
63469855813__1EA8C736-B5FE-473C-810F-C00C3ED0D0F0.jpg

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

For electronics I went with:

Servo: Savox SC-1257TG
ESC: HobbyWing XR10 Pro Stock Spec
Motor: Trinity RevTech X Factor 13.5 Certified Plus
Receiver: Sanwa RX-461
Attachments
IMG_6198.jpg

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Waiting for my Lunsford Titanium Shock Shafts to show up so I can finish. I went with Threaded shock bodies, they look nicer and they weigh less :)

Everything is shimmed to be zero slop. I used Team Losi Ball Cups that came with the Titanium Ball studs. They are lighter than the original stock versions and much stronger than RPM versions.
Attachments
IMG_6209.jpg
IMG_6216.jpg
IMG_6207.jpg

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

My final build weight is 1535 grams. Well below the ROAR Truck rules of 1700 gram minimum.
Attachments
IMG_6251.jpg

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

The first few rounds at the track were short. Once I tightened the Slipper all the way down and moved the gearing, it's now one lap ahead at track vs a XXT 13T Brushed.

Round:
1. The Weed Trimmer Line started moving. I used it in my Aluminum dogbones to keep the Titainum Outdrives from wearing. (Old School Pucks system. Plastic Metal Plastic Metal)
a. Fixed by CA Gluing the Trimmer Line into the dogbone! Easy
2. The Gearing was WAY off. I used the lowest Spur I had for a Dual Slipper(84 tooth) and the biggest Pinion I had(21).
a. Fixed by using a 78 Tooth Spur and 25 Pinion. (Also have 76 Spur and 26/27 pinion to tune with).
3. The Dual Slipper will slip even maxed out. Brushless are much more Torque than RPM. Mod Brushed motors were 50k+ RPMs in the 90s. This 13.5T is Rated at ~27k.
a. Ordered a 22T SHDS Slipper kit that fit XXX vehicles. Has much more surface area. Comes with Spurs too!

Before I switched the shocks up.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMQ68ThBWjB/

mikesofunny
Approved Member

Post by mikesofunny »

bird wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:38 pm The first few rounds at the track were short. Once I tightened the Slipper all the way down and moved the gearing, it's now one lap ahead at track vs a XXT 13T Brushed.

Round:
1. The Weed Trimmer Line started moving. I used it in my Aluminum dogbones to keep the Titainum Outdrives from wearing. (Old School Pucks system. Plastic Metal Plastic Metal)
a. Fixed by CA Gluing the Trimmer Line into the dogbone! Easy
2. The Gearing was WAY off. I used the lowest Spur I had for a Dual Slipper(84 tooth) and the biggest Pinion I had(21).
a. Fixed by using a 78 Tooth Spur and 25 Pinion. (Also have 76 Spur and 26/27 pinion to tune with).
3. The Dual Slipper will slip even maxed out. Brushless are much more Torque than RPM. Mod Brushed motors were 50k+ RPMs in the 90s. This 13.5T is Rated at ~27k.
a. Ordered a 22T SHDS Slipper kit that fit XXX vehicles. Has much more surface area. Comes with Spurs too!

Before I switched the shocks up.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMQ68ThBWjB/
Awesome build. I love a resto-mod! I just built a LXT runner with a brushless setup. What is the modern slipper kit you're using? Now that I read this I'm scared my dual-disc slipper won't be up to the task.

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Awesome build. I love a resto-mod! I just built a LXT runner with a brushless setup. What is the modern slipper kit you're using? Now that I read this I'm scared my dual-disc slipper won't be up to the task.
The kit is TLR232085. It states it works with XXX. I only plan to use the spurs, slipper discs, and slipper pads. The top shaft won't work with a XX. TLR is full METRIC, but they must have kept the same size slot/hole and diameters for the slipper discs and pads, gearing is gearing.

Essejay
Approved Member

Post by Essejay »

Wow! the way you placed the electronics (Esc, receiver) is nice.

Concerning the batteries, does a lipo fit directly in the car?

On my side I decided a few month ago to make a restoration of a XX-T, but as I did not found any donor (in Europe it is complicated to find that car), I have to build one from nothing.
I found some parts in my spares, I remain have some missing but I will try to update the post I opened on january with some pictures.

Have a nice week-end!

Essejay

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

The Kit arrived.
IMG_6613.jpg
I measured and compared the setups.
IMG_6617.jpg
IMG_6620.jpg
I tried to use everything from the TLR kit I could. Due to the length of the slipper shafts being different and diameter of the shaft threads, I had to keep using the original Nut and stopper. I also had to use one of the original slipper plates as a spacer to make up for the length. The only drilling I did was the TLR spring stopper. I drilled it out to fit past the threads, so I could use it to center the new spring.

The Final setup is as follows from the left:

TLR Slipper Plate, TLR Slipper Pad, TLR 78 Tooth Spur, TLR Slipper Pad, TLR Slipper Plate, XXT Slipper Plate, TLR Spring Stop Backwards and drilled, TLR Spring, XXT Spring Stop, XXT Nut.
IMG_6624.jpg
I'm heading to the track tomorrow to test it out.

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Essejay wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:14 am Wow! the way you placed the electronics (Esc, receiver) is nice.

Concerning the batteries, does a lipo fit directly in the car?

On my side I decided a few month ago to make a restoration of a XX-T, but as I did not found any donor (in Europe it is complicated to find that car), I have to build one from nothing.
I found some parts in my spares, I remain have some missing but I will try to update the post I opened on january with some pictures.

Have a nice week-end!

Essejay
I stole the idea for low electrics from Lavigna and Mr Doe. :)

The battery fits to the left or right, it's bit wide but it's plenty short(Revtech Shorty) I have other XXT runners where I milled out the battery area to fit a stand 2s LiPo Hardcase ROAR approved batteries.

mikesofunny
Approved Member

Post by mikesofunny »

I feel like you could use a Losi A3124 slipper spacer in place of the 3rd plate, but not 100%. Either way, very cool idea, can't wait to see how it holds up.
slipper.jpeg.jpg
slipper.jpeg.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
slipper.jpeg.jpg
slipper.jpeg.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

I too suggest you replace the 3rd plate with a proper spacer. Get the spring up against the outer plate so it's wide footprint can sit around the lip and disperse the force on the plate properly. You can then use a simple spacer either behind the spring, between the transmission, modify the shaft, or use a correct length shaft, to get proper spacing.

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

mikesofunny wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:44 am I feel like you could use a Losi A3124 slipper spacer in place of the 3rd plate, but not 100%. Either way, very cool idea, can't wait to see how it holds up.
slipper.jpeg.jpg
Tried that combo, does not work. The Spring is much bigger than that little thing.

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Lavigna wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:45 pm I too suggest you replace the 3rd plate with a proper spacer. Get the spring up against the outer plate so it's wide footprint can sit around the lip and disperse the force on the plate properly. You can then use a simple spacer either behind the spring, between the transmission, modify the shaft, or use a correct length shaft, to get proper spacing.
I wanted to be able to use it without any machine work. Drilling the stopper out was enough. Viewing your thread and setup, it won't even work the way you have it on your XX Runner.