Keeping brushed motors cool enough

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Keeping brushed motors cool enough

Post by Frankentruck »

With my 3000mah NiMh batteries, I feel like I'm pushing the temperature limits of my brushed motors. That's the main reason I don't move up to higher rated batteries. Every time I search up heat sinks, I come across a bunch of heat sinks with fans on them. For those that run brushed motors, are you using a fan and are you seeing benefit from it? I'm hesitant to add something that's going to be another drain on the battery, but maybe that would be a good thing, to reduce run time a little more. It could be a bonus cooling result. 😁
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Re: Keeping brushed motors cool enough

Post by juicedcoupe »

Reduce the gearing.

And I probably wouldn't put much faith in the validity of those "5000" mah battery packs.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I haven't maxed out the gearing on any of my vehicles, basically staying with biggest spur and smallest pinion combinations because they still have great performance. The 3000mah batteries I use seem to be well rated. I never bother to actually clock my run time, but it's a satisfying duration. And a lot longer than BITD times with 1200 NiCd power.

But for runners (no dedicated shelf dwellers here yet), are fans a noticable help for brushed motor temps? I might need to get one and do some experimenting.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I've never used fans on any of mine. But I'm also conservative with gearing and motor selections.

I figure that I don't need to be running my vintage cars at stupid speeds anyway, I've got a newer Traxxas for that.

On top of that, most of my esc's are vintage as well. I sure don't want to damage one of them.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I think the Radon 2 motors are good, capable, and inexpensive motors. And amazingly they are in production. I used to pay more for stock motors than these cost. Plus, I like to run some of my vintage motors a bit just to see what they can do. I don't think I push stuff all that hard, but I like the older stuff better than the new. Maybe I'll need to find a good deal on a Rustler for a comparison (this almost like an addiction...).

I've got a few sets of endbell heatsinks I'm going to be trying, plus I think they look awesome.
Attachments
PXL_20210508_161944110.jpg
PXL_20210508_162016293.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

While looking at the JConcepts site, I noticed they put a recommendation to try and stay in the 115 - 120F temperature range, and caution going above 150F (I'm assuming their remarks are in deg F). This gives me a target to try for.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I normally use this as a starting guide for gearing brushed motors. Keep in mind that its from the 90's, so larger mah batteries and extended run times will require lower (higher numeric) gearing.
Attachments
20210513_184307.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Thanks. I'll keep this on mind while doing some temperature trials.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

brushed motors from nicd days were designed to run full out for 4-6 tops. so they will get super hot after running much longer regardless of the level of heatsinking and gearing. it's just something you have to watch. it is better with nimh because the voltage drops as the battery discharges. Lipo is harder because its like running 7 cells until it dumps.

RPMfieldtester
Approved Member

Post by RPMfieldtester »

also, if you run a bearing motor with hi winds or a stock armature, little timing, soft springs and hard brushes, it will run cooler but this is counter intuitive for max performance (racing). Great for a play car though...

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Without going through a full battery, I did a spot check of the temperatures. My son running the 7 cell was hottest at 223 F. Father in law was 209 F. Mine was 190 F. Hmm, BITD with NiCd I would bring a crew packs with me to do back to back runs. Of course I didn't think about temperatures, other than not burning my hands.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210515-174114~3.png
Screenshot_20210515-173815~2.png
Screenshot_20210515-173753~2.png