Simple RC12i Build

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Simple RC12i Build

Post by morrisey0 »

I am calling this a simple build because honestly, the foundation was so nice, the build was super simple. The parts list to finish this build is just so small.

The foundation. Obviously used, one owner RC12i:
RC12I 1.jpg
RC12I 2.jpg
A little breakdown and the clean bones start to come out:
RC12I 3.jpg
RC12I 4.jpg
RC12I 5.jpg
RC12I 6.jpg
RC12I 7.jpg
RC12I 8.jpg
The bottom of the chassis was nice and used as it should have been. It would have taken removing half the depth to remove all of the "racing," so I just removed enough get rid of 60-70% of the love. These pics are a bit hard to see as my lighting sucks as usual:
RC12I 9.jpg
RC12I 10.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

morrisey0

Re: Simple RC12i Build

Post by morrisey0 »

All of the nylon in its pure 40 year old form, cleaned but oranged. I kinda wish I had an actual after pic of this as the parts came out better than expected, but I think it is shown in the completed pics.
RC12I 11.jpg
I had to print two parts (so far) for this build. The chassis "rib" broke in multiple pieces when being removed (as would be expected being CA'd in), so I built one of those, and the front bumper. The bumper is purely aesthetics, and is only there because the "brilliant" white of the plastic bumper made the "antique" white of the rest of the nylon look, well, antique.
RC12I 12.jpg
And then the build just moves forward:
RC12I 13.jpg
RC12I 14.jpg
RC12I 15.jpg
RC12I 16.jpg
Next will be tire gluing / truing, and then the body.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Maxell27
Approved Member

Post by Maxell27 »

Awesome.

I had one in the late 80s and wish I never sold it. I may hunt one down, I would like to relive my teen years

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Same here, Maxell27.
Seeing this car brings back such great memories.
I didn't own or race mine very long but I remember that it was great fun.
I need to dig through some boxes from the attic and see what I've got left -- I really want a 12i to add to the collection.
Thanks for this posting this build!!
Doug

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Nickels worth of free advice for any future builders ................ the tires need a bit more diameter than your typical modern spec 1:12 pan car. :wink:

Ran out to the truer and cut down to 45mmF / 46mmR, and that just ain't gonna work. Hope I can get them to work on my 12L, because if not, that is a wasted pair (or maybe set) of donuts. And it isn't like these things are falling off the trees these days.
Attachments
RC12I 17.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The 12L has the axle bearing carriers that can center or offset the axle higher/lower, so that has a shot of working with these wheels. I'm assuming that if you don't have the offset carriers you could print a set. Otherwise I could probably help with that.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:37 pm The 12L has the axle bearing carriers that can center or offset the axle higher/lower, so that has a shot of working with these wheels. I'm assuming that if you don't have the offset carriers you could print a set. Otherwise I could probably help with that.
Completely forgot about that fact. I have bunches of those offsets sitting around. May just save these tires. Thanks!

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Tire crisis avoided. The 45/46 cut is not ideal on a 12L even with the lowest axle offset adjuster, but at least there is a spring there to adjust preload. Ironically, I pulled these wheels/tires off of the 12L, unglued and untrued, to fit on the 12i while I waited for replacements to come in. At the end of the day, they ended up right back on the 12L. :D

So, I am again back to tires and body. I am back and forth on the body and layout, and honestly have no idea where I want to be. I like the true 1:1 appearance of my Tamiya 956, but I also like the true appearance of 1:12 pan cars of the day. I don't know, I will decide soon.
Attachments
RC12I 19.jpg
RC12I 18.jpg

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

morrisey0 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:29 pm Tire crisis avoided. The 45/46 cut is not ideal on a 12L even with the lowest axle offset adjuster, but at least there is a spring there to adjust preload. Ironically, I pulled these wheels/tires off of the 12L, unglued and untrued, to fit on the 12i while I waited for replacements to come in. At the end of the day, they ended up right back on the 12L. :D

So, I am again back to tires and body. I am back and forth on the body and layout, and honestly have no idea where I want to be. I like the true 1:1 appearance of my Tamiya 956, but I also like the true appearance of 1:12 pan cars of the day. I don't know, I will decide soon.
Thank you for warning us about the tire diameter. I'm searching for tires and wheels at the moment and I see a few that are pre-cut to 45mm and I will avoid those.

I'm leaning towards a Porsche 911 body but that could change. The good news is that 12th scale bodies of all kinds are plentiful and relatively cheap. I'll might pick up a couple then decide which one to paint. Or, maybe paint both and swap them out occasionally.
Doug

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

My 12L has rears that are 54mm diameter and fronts that are 48mm diameter. They both seem like the right size to me.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

XLR8 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:43 pm Thank you for warning us about the tire diameter. I'm searching for tires and wheels at the moment and I see a few that are pre-cut to 45mm and I will avoid those.
Are you finding any pre-mount / pre-cuts that are 2 or 4 hole rear? I remember most of what I was seeing awhile back was the more modern 3 hole rear wheels.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:51 pm My 12L has rears that are 54mm diameter and fronts that are 48mm diameter. They both seem like the right size to me.
Yea, from the originals that came off this one and the 12e, I was thinking about 54 / 52 or somewhere around there, and then found that is about full size on the Jacos that I am going to use. May just trim the edges and call it a day.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:57 pm
XLR8 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:43 pm Thank you for warning us about the tire diameter. I'm searching for tires and wheels at the moment and I see a few that are pre-cut to 45mm and I will avoid those.
Are you finding any pre-mount / pre-cuts that are 2 or 4 hole rear? I remember most of what I was seeing awhile back was the more modern 3 hole rear wheels.
Yeah, I'm finding 3 hole and even some that are hex drive. I know those won't work.

I also found these that appear to be more universal fit but I have no idea if they will fit the 12i

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391944517172?hash=item5b41b6b634:g:Fv4AAOSw91Jb~bQt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372165096638?hash=item56a6c4b4be:g:7NAAAOxy1klRcPZm

To be honest, I'm really not a big fan of their wheel design. Maybe if I could locate some un-trued donuts, I could design a custom printed wheel set to go with the Porsche.
What do you think?
Doug

Maxell27
Approved Member

Post by Maxell27 »

A quick question is it hard to find new wheels and tires for a 12i?