12%
romulus22
12%
THEYTOOMMYTHUMB
47%

Total votes: 49

1911Colt
Approved Member

Re: ** Build of the Month Contest - September 2022 ** - Winner - THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by 1911Colt »

limestang wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:05 am Idea for a future Build of the Month. Theme would be matching pairs
I like it! (Easy for me to say as I am just a spectator here, not the one doing the work or spending the $$$ :lol: )

Several ways one could make a "pair"

Ultima/Optima
Yokomo/Associated
RC10/10T

Or my personal favorite

XLS/Top Cat

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Re: ** Build of the Month Contest - September 2022 ** - Winner - THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Congrats Benj. See ya in build of the year in December!
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

CONGRATS THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Awesome Build!!!

Hemiclod
Approved Member

Post by Hemiclod »

Congrats awesome build :D :D 😎😎

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Tookmythumb...love the build, It's well earned. Great looking build. 8)

.Question here, and I think this is the place to ask? And if not. I totally apologize.
I have been here on this site for prob over a year, great site I love it so don't get me wrong, not complaining, and not complaining about ANY winners here... But I do have to say, and don't hate on me lol...but unless you have a "vintage" car to enter into the BOTM...you have zero chance of winning it. So just wondering/asking...if there any chance of maybe doing a "non vintage" BOTM type thing for one month? Or maybe in addition to the BOTM? or something?
Because just noticing...I have seen you can enter a MT like my 1/5 I did last year, build from ground up, all hand made parts, fabbed myself from ground up,didn't even come close to winning. Other months I have seen Restored MT's with some mods...they don't get hardly any votes. Seen some vintage MT's in the BOTM, but if there's an RC10 or something aganst it.. Then the MT does not stand a chance. This month I would have voted for Juciedcoupe's MT build, would have loved to see his MT win finally....but I voted for Dadio just because I watched his 3D printing for so many months. But jcoupes MT fell way short, because it was not an original or IE "Vintage" car prob, even though it's is cool as he&^ ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love Rc10's, and vintage stuff....but I'd really like to see maybe one month someone with an MT, offroad, or something they really custom build from ground up win a month. Or maybe even a "Custom" build of the month ...meaning all hand built? no factory parts etc? ..In addition to the BOTM? . I dunno, just something I had been thinking of a lot. And again, no offense to any BOTM winners, that is not my intent. Just throwing out some of my own thoughts is all. Hope no one takes this the wrong way. Not intended any way other than just some thoughts is all..

Gonna edit one thing.... Just again. I hope/don't want anyone to think I'm bitching about anything here. I love the site and I do love vintage cars and truck 8) I just think it might be nice to see a bit of variety in the BOTM, or maybe an aside to the BOTM every once in a while is all.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Congrats on the win!

Steve71 - I understand what you're saying. But we all have our own tastes. If you're not into monster trucks, no matter how awesome of a build, it will probably lose a vote to a clean buggy or stadium truck. Pretty much been that way since the BOTM started. And I feel bad for the guys that have come from Clodtalk and want to submit a vehicle for that reason.

When it comes to the BOTM I'd like it to stay how it is. Pretty much open to anything. Winner of each month goes head to head in December. If I make special months like a MT only, sure, you have a good chance of winning. But then be overlooked in the end of year contest.

We can always do specials aside for the BOTM. Best basher, best displayed collection, best work area...... best MT. Whatever. And those can be started by anyone. Just give me a heads up first, and we'll figure out the best place to put it.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

No prob bud. I get ya/understand. Just thought it might be nice to expand the BOTM a tad was all. Because to be honest, as a MT/Clodtalk guy (even though I came here before CT died out) I just kind'a feel somewhat alone here amongst all the vintage guys is all :lol:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Steve71 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:29 am No prob bud. I get ya/understand. Just thought it might be nice to expand the BOTM a tad was all. Because to be honest, as a MT/Clodtalk guy (even though I came here before CT died out) I just kind'a feel somewhat alone here amongst all the vintage guys is all :lol:
Man I love your builds and fully appreciate the work involved (voted for you) but this is a vintage forum so most people are heavily into vintage cars , I've won with a custom tube frame Rough Rider and a custom 4WD Scorpion but this is very much RC10talk , I have my own dislikes , I really don't like Truggys or stadium trucks and I'm not really into nitro so it's unlikely I'll vote for them unless they are beyond exceptional . I really like the idea of an alternative build contest where cars not strictly vintage could be appreciated and get some love , I like the idea of a budget/runner contest , maybe a parallel contest with a monthly theme , MT's one month , budget builds next month , 12th pan cars etc etc , there are quite a few minority groups that might get a chance to shine .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

We rarely get all ten slots filled as it is. Limiting it to one type of car will reduce the number even more.

I have seventeen vintage Team Associated vehicles. Most have been in BOTM, none have come remotely close to winning. I'd rather that instead of nobody entering.

I don't post my stuff in here with the intention of winning. If someone likes my junk enough to vote for it, awesome.

I build what I want to build, how I want to build it. If someone else likes it, it just means that we're the same kind of weird. I'm cool with that.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Congrats thumbs!!! Almost had you there for a minute.

Dadio wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:37 am
I really don't like Truggys or stadium trucks and I'm not really into nitro so it's unlikely I'll vote for them
2E3051AD-DA42-43C7-8C01-66CFA89FF92B.gif
2E3051AD-DA42-43C7-8C01-66CFA89FF92B.gif (791.8 KiB) Viewed 973 times
2E3051AD-DA42-43C7-8C01-66CFA89FF92B.gif (791.8 KiB) Viewed 973 times

:lol: I didn’t take offense to this, rather an opportunity to try and make a joke. My number one favorite car is another’s least favorite :lol: That’s to be expected. Everyone is different which is a good thing. I love to see all the different builds on here. I’ve even come to like a bunch of stuff I didn’t have much interest in until joining the site.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

romulus22 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:13 pm
Dadio wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:37 am
I really don't like Truggys or stadium trucks and I'm not really into nitro so it's unlikely I'll vote for them

:lol: I didn’t take offense to this, rather an opportunity to try and make a joke. My number one favorite car is another’s least favorite :lol: That’s to be expected. Everyone is different which is a good thing. I love to see all the different builds on here. I’ve even come to like a bunch of stuff I didn’t have much interest in until joining the site.
True story- Once upon a sometime in the '80s they said, "How can we make our amazing race buggies even better?" They then used the buggy platform to create the stadium truck. :lol:
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

romulus22 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:13 pm I’ve even come to like a bunch of stuff I didn’t have much interest in until joining the site.
Same here.

In the past, I had never given much thought to the older buggy M/T conversions or the E-GT conversion. Now, I have both.

And because of this, I find myself building and collecting a lot more stuff than I used to. In the last couple years, my car collection has tripled and we won't even get into motors (but there's a lot).
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

It's a very varied world when it comes to taste and every choice is valid with old school RC , I'm very sure that many people hate the idea of 3d printed parts on old cars .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:33 pm
romulus22 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:13 pm I’ve even come to like a bunch of stuff I didn’t have much interest in until joining the site.
Same here.

In the past, I had never given much thought to the older buggy M/T conversions or the E-GT conversion. Now, I have both.

And because of this, I find myself building and collecting a lot more stuff than I used to. In the last couple years, my car collection has tripled and we won't even get into motors (but there's a lot).
Now, is that a good or a bad thing? :mrgreen:

I totally get it though, I think I voted for a MT last month, just because there were a few amazing MT builds over the last couple of months. I personally do not have a MT, and focus on other stuff. Anyway, I also say keep the BOTM they way it is, nothing wrong with a parallel one theme based, but I understand that scr8p will not take care of that one.

Did Clod Talk shut down?

My 2 cents
*** POWDER - KING ***

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:33 pm
Same here.

Indeed. When I got back into the hobby in 2018, I was interested in one thing only, a newer off-road stadium truck and trying to find one old Futaba FXT. Had no interest in different types of r/c's. There was no intention or even a thought of collecting different vintage kits, motors, esc's, etc. And never thought that my basement workshop area would become a r/c specific workshop.
-Jerry-

Return to “RC10Talk Build of the Month Contest”