Trinity Joel Magic Johnson Champ motor?

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

isaidme
Approved Member

Trinity Joel Magic Johnson Champ motor?

Post by isaidme »

Hello, first post here and was wondering if someone can tell me a little about these motors? I purchased one for $35 that supposedly still runs. Thanks
Attachments
7BAEDBD2-87B4-4BD3-977D-174A0B93FAA5.jpeg
C48979E8-FE9E-4400-BDFF-99F95C87DDCB.jpeg
66984395-8D5F-4B5D-9E4A-02707AF78915.jpeg

Frankentruck

Re: Trinity Joel Magic Johnson Champ motor?

Post by Frankentruck »

Welcome! In the Trinity section here:
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18586

it's probably this motor:

Championship Modified Series
1708 17x3 Joel Magic Johnson
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

Well that's a start. Hoping someone will come along that has actually owned one of these. Wondering if I payed too much or got a deal? What is a good recommended vintage ESC to match it up with and what pinion? Can I run lipo with this motor so long as I watch temp and run time etc?

SPA240WS
Approved Member

Post by SPA240WS »

Hi, i ve a similar one, thought it would be the 1708 Trinity, bit with green sticker.. measured data seems to be 17x3 Turns..
Perhaps you can open it and take a pic?
Attachments
Screenshot_20240108_171836_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240108_171812_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240108_171757_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240108_171731_Gallery.jpg

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

It should be in the mail today and I will crack it open once it arrives.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

If it's a running motor, you can use lipo but definitely would want to limit run time to 5 min or less. It can get very hot in that amount of time. Running a brushed motor will mean you need some maintenance supplies. Brushes, springs, cleaning supplies for the comm and general debis in the can, bearing oil, possibly other items. Is this going to be in a 6 gear RC10, or something else? On road, off road, or a mix?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

duplicate

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

It's going in a 6 gear early CE buggy. Probably just lightly ran on occasion. I will definitely have to research which brushes to keep on hand and learn more about comm maintenance. Will most likely get a cheap Traxxas brushed motor for it to run most often. Definitely want to keep the gold pan as pristine as possible.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I have a stockpile of vintage motors that I would consider runners more than collectors. Many of them have either lost their label or have a replica replacement label on them. It is fun to run a nice vintage motor sometimes but it isn't fun to burn up a nice vintage motor.

Motors like the Traxxas Titan 12T have a built in cooling fan that spins with the motor keeping it cool enough for long run times. But they have a large shaft bushing that will limit distance the motor can be moved in the motor plate for pinion gear choices.
PXL_20240108_183809442~2.jpg

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

Never considered that! This is good stuff and why I am here.

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:32 pm I have a stockpile of vintage motors that I would consider runners more than collectors. Many of them have either lost their label or have a replica replacement label on them. It is fun to run a nice vintage motor sometimes but it isn't fun to burn up a nice vintage motor.

Motors like the Traxxas Titan 12T have a built in cooling fan that spins with the motor keeping it cool enough for long run times. But they have a large shaft bushing that will limit distance the motor can be moved in the motor plate for pinion gear choices.
PXL_20240108_183809442~2.jpg
What about one of the newer Reedy bushed motors? I don't want anything too hot just to put in a 5min session here and there and admire.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The Reedy Radon 2 motors are good for 5 min runs. I have a couple of buggies with them. The plus side is I don't feel bad if I ruin one (have not yet) I've got the 19 turn model in my 4 inch shortened RC10 here: (video link at the end) https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48561

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:35 pm The Reedy Radon 2 motors are good for 5 min runs. I have a couple of buggies with them. The plus side is I don't feel bad if I ruin one (have not yet) I've got the 19 turn model in my 4 inch shortened RC10 here: (video link at the end) https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48561
Yeah that's the one I was looking at and that's one cool little buggy! I have a Losi Mini B 1/16 for carpet racing this reminds me of.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I have two of these motors. As mentioned they're 17x3. You certainly got a good deal at $35. In my opinion, this is a motor to keep in as good of shape as possible and it would be a shame if it got burnt up. Reedy Radon 2 motors are a dime a dozen and would be a good candidate for a runner motor.
-Jerry-

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

R6cowboy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:16 pm I have two of these motors. As mentioned they're 17x3. You certainly got a good deal at $35. In my opinion, this is a motor to keep in as good of shape as possible and it would be a shame if it got burnt up. Reedy Radon 2 motors are a dime a dozen and would be a good candidate for a runner motor.
Kind of what I was thinking also. Will probably just do the Radon 2 and clean up this old Trinity for display