Just another Andy’s Pro buggy build thread

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Shane301
Approved Member

Just another Andy’s Pro buggy build thread

Post by Shane301 »

IMG_0842.jpeg
I’m new to the whole build thread thing but I like this car enough that it should be fun to document.

I’ve been collecting Andy’s parts for a while and have several builds near completion. This one I thought was complete until I saw last years BOTY winner and the effort that went into it. I decided I would tear this car down and give it the attention it deserves.

The new build list so far consists or
Andy’s pro molded buggy chassis kit parts acquired individually.
I decided to change it up a little and use H arms on the rear since the kit came with both H arms and Trailing arms along with the appropriate shock towers. I will be doing an Andy’s S&K Pro graphite build with the trailing arms after this one.

The chassis came drilled for 6 gear only so I will put an MIP SP1 transmission in it with the upgraded HD ball diff and A&L slipper assembly. I have also sourced a set of Delrin gears for the top shaft and idler. Hopefully arriving in the next week or so.

TPS lightweight screw kit plus Tecnacraft screws for the upper shock mounts. Nuts and washers through out are holeshot aluminum. Ball studs are all HG titanium. Hinge pins are Tecnacraft titanium with the exception of the rear inners which are RPM steel because of the extra width of the rear arms.

If anyone knows of or has a titanium hinge pin that will work on the wider arms I’d love to keep this build 100% free of RPm Also the pack of hingepins had a small hole and wouldn’t you know it… the 2 inner front pins were missing.

All eclipse will be replaced with RCPS #510 retaining clips. I went through several sets of circle pliers before I found a set that would work with these little…things.

Will be using Tecnacraft turnbuckles, MIP CVDs, MIP hard body shock bodies with MIP golden shafts and I have TPS shock pivots in route. I have chosen to fall out of line a little bit here and spring for the newer production blue Factory Team aluminum shock caps.

I have a set of trinity cells a lite sink heat sink and so far planning to use T&A aluminum wheels with trinity spike tires front and rear and have not decided on electronics yet.

Will update when shock pivots and transmission parts arrive. Here’s a few pics of what I’ve got so far.
Attachments
IMG_0854.jpeg
IMG_0852.jpeg
IMG_0845.jpeg
IMG_0846.jpeg
Collecting all Vintage Associated Offroad and DS
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

jcwrks
Approved Member

Re: Just another Andy’s Pro buggy build thread

Post by jcwrks »

Great build thread, Shane. I will need to borrow those snap ring pliers. :wink: I really like seeing the a-arm config since we often see trailing arms on the Pro Race. Is that CAM motor one that I sent you?
The official TX SKUNK

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

jcwrks wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:21 am Great build thread, Shane. I will need to borrow those snap ring pliers. :wink: I really like seeing the a-arm config since we often see trailing arms on the Pro Race. Is that CAM motor one that I sent you?
Yes sir! Along with the new Andy’s pro deck. That may have been the first thing I ever received from you, if I remember correctly.
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

Do all the Andy's arms require longer pins than factory AE parts? I realize that this thread is about a custom build using mostly custom parts but I have a chance to buy a new set of Andys arms front and back for mine.

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

isaidme wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:25 am Do all the Andy's arms require longer pins than factory AE parts? I realize that this thread is about a custom build using mostly custom parts but I have a chance to buy a new set of Andys arms front and back for mine.
No. Andy's RC10 rear arms use the same 6380 hinge pin as the og AE arms. The front arms on a Pro Race are wider than typical Andy's "wide" arms you often seen on a typical RC10. Hinge pins are the same for both though.
The official TX SKUNK

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

Great start to a great build! Andy's Pro Race kits are still one of my favorites, although I am partial to trailing arm set ups :mrgreen:

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

duckhead wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:09 pm Great start to a great build! Andy's Pro Race kits are still one of my favorites, although I am partial to trailing arm set ups :mrgreen:
I would agree with you. Love the Andy’s platform and yes the trailing arm setup is my favorite. I wanted to do one of each though and saved the trailing arm version for the Andy’s graphite pro race build. I think that deck maybe a little more rare. Idk. It was a tough decision but in the end I just wanted both setups.
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

jcwrks wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:41 am
isaidme wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:25 am Do all the Andy's arms require longer pins than factory AE parts? I realize that this thread is about a custom build using mostly custom parts but I have a chance to buy a new set of Andys arms front and back for mine.
No. Andy's RC10 rear arms use the same 6380 hinge pin as the og AE arms. The front arms on a Pro Race are wider than typical Andy's "wide" arms you often seen on a typical RC10. Hinge pins are the same for both though.
I did a little more messing around with pins and arms and determined the Andy’s arms are the same width as the older pre worlds late team car arms. The late team car and worlds cars had a slightly narrower arm and pin and my tecnacraft pin kit was for a team car and the narrower arms.
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

Had a little time today to do a little more work on the car. I received the TPS shock pivots so I installed those on the MIP shocks. Put some black AE ball cups on the turnbuckles and got the front end on the car. I did use a set of Andy’s front axles. I also changed out the Andy’s castor blocks that were a little marred up with some new ones.

The TPS lightweight screw kit did not come with and 3/4 screws for the shock mounts nor enough flat nuts for the shock mounts so I used some tecnacraft titanium 3/4 screws and the holeshot aluminum nuts and washers.
IMG_1052.jpeg
IMG_1051.jpeg
IMG_1049.jpeg
I also mounted up the rear bulkhead and shock tower. Added a set of TPS wing mounts. The rear shocks are 1.32 and a bit long so I plan to add three spacers inside to shorten them up and bring the arms and axles up to near level. The rear turnbuckles supplied with the team car kit were way too long so I found some shorter tecnacraft turnbuckles in my turnbuckle stash that were a more acceptable length but called it a night so I could get caught up on the latest Reacher episode. I should have my transmission internals this next week. However I’ll be leaving town for a convention and probably won’t get that put together until after I get back.
Attachments
IMG_1058.jpeg
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

Looking good, Shane. I think we have cornered the market on TPS accessories as of late. I really like those wing mounts since you don't see them that often. Not sure if you have any straight wing wire, but K&S (USA) still sells .062 on their website.
The official TX SKUNK

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

jcwrks wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:25 am Looking good, Shane. I think we have cornered the market on TPS accessories as of late. I really like those wing mounts since you don't see them that often. Not sure if you have any straight wing wire, but K&S (USA) still sells .062 on their website.
Yes sir. TPS FTW! I believe I’ve got some straight wing wire. If not that good to know.
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

Another little update today. I’ve been debating on whether to pull the FT blue shock caps as they didn’t come on the market until late 90s and aren’t really correct on this car. I really like the looks of them and have a few sets on different models that they really shouldn’t be on. In the end a good friend asked me about them and that’s all it took.

This car is probably my favorite build of all my cars. I love the history of it, the molded Andy’s logo in all the pieces and the fact that I consider Andy Jacobsen a great friend all contribute to that.

I decided the car deserves to be as accurate as I can make it. If anyone sees something that isn’t quite right, I’d love to hear it. I am not offended by constructive criticism of suggestion at all.

New. Suspension pics.
Attachments
IMG_1063.jpeg
IMG_1062.jpeg
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

I do believe you made the right decision to pull the blue FT shock caps 8)
This build is so period, love it :D
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

MarkyDents wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:57 pm I do believe you made the right decision to pull the blue FT shock caps 8)
This build is so period, love it :D
Thank you!
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

Shane301
Approved Member

Post by Shane301 »

Small bits of progress tonight but it was kind of fun and different from what I usually do.

I decided to pick a wing from my pile of various wings. The JG scooper is one I picked up recently and it is kind of a design your own. At least the side dams. So I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a decent looking shape that was different from all the other large side dam wings I have and came up with this.
IMG_1087.jpeg
IMG_1086.jpeg
IMG_1085.jpeg
IMG_1084.jpeg
IMG_1082.jpeg
I’m happy with the shape. I’m going to try and clean the edge up a little more. Spent some time on it with the dremel. Probably needs a little more. Found a straight wing wire and got it bent. Need to trim it still. Wing buttons I need to track down. I have some silver aluminum. Can’t remember who made them off the top of my head but pretty sure I have some. Otherwise I’ll probably dye some buds buttons black. The double sided tape that came with the wing is black. I am hoping I can find some clear at my shop tomorrow. I think black would look goofy.
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks