Not a Hornet, Not a Rockbuster - Academy Minicraft Lazer

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ZED32
Approved Member

Not a Hornet, Not a Rockbuster - Academy Minicraft Lazer

Post by ZED32 »

Screenshot_20240218-182146_Gallery.jpg
This is an Academy Minicraft Lazer, a Hornet knockoff from the 1980's, that I finished restoring a few weeks ago. I picked it up for $20 on Offerup from a guy who listed it as a "Kyosho Hornet" and completed the restoration for under $100.
Screenshot_20240218-182158_Gallery.jpg
The chassis is essentially the same as the chassis of a Hornet, and is the same chassis found on the World Engines Rockbuster. This means that it has the odd ribs on the side of the chassis, and well as on the nose. These cars, especially without the body, are incredibly easy to mistake for a Rockbuster or Roadrunner, however there are a few differences.
Screenshot_20240218-182152_Gallery.jpg
The first and most obvious difference is the body. It is called The Sly One and was made by Parma for the Tamiya Fox. It fits surprisingly well over the Lazer chassis and I am actually quite fond of the look.
Screenshot_20240218-182204_Gallery.jpg
The next difference is the rear oil-filled shocks. "Hopped-Up" versions of the Rockbuster and Roadrunner came with blue anodized rear shocks, but Lazers came with pink anodized shocks. This particular set leaks like a sieve.
Screenshot_20240218-185141_Gallery.jpg
The final, and maybe best, difference is the front bumper. All Rockbusters and Roadrunners were fitted with horrendous yellow bumpers, while Lazers had a much better looking black bumper!
Screenshot_20240218-182218_Gallery.jpg
These are the wheels that should go on the Minicraft Lazer. The only reason I'm not running them is because I only have 3 of the 4, and two are broken.

Hope this was marginally interesting. Thought I should share my (little) knowledge on this rather rare RC since I had such a difficult time finding information during my restoration.

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Re: Not a Hornet, Not a Rockbuster - Academy Minicraft Lazer

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Nice. Is the old switched speed controller and servo there just for classic looks?

ZED32
Approved Member

Post by ZED32 »

Bottom Feeder wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:49 pm Nice. Is the old switched speed controller and servo there just for classic looks?
Yes. The MSC and resistor grill is unique to the Academy Hornet clones (Rockbuster, Roadrunner, Lazer), so I kept them there for looks. They work, but the esc is better for when I drive it around.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Nice find :D Ampro Engineering on YouTube did an episode on these , probably the best equipped Hopper out there , there was a ton of clones of them in the 80s , even Traxxas made one called the Cat but theirs cannot have been a clone as Traxxas would never steal ideas from others then patent them :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

ZED32
Approved Member

Post by ZED32 »

Dadio wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:13 am Nice find :D Ampro Engineering on YouTube did an episode on these , probably the best equipped Hopper out there , there was a ton of clones of them in the 80s , even Traxxas made one called the Cat but theirs cannot have been a clone as Traxxas would never steal ideas from others then patent them :lol:
Wait, he did? I thought I had seen every ampro video! I know about the Roadrunner and Rockbuster buyers guides, I dont recall the Lazer ever being mentioned. The Cat, as far as I know, is not a Hornet copy at all. Totally different chassis. (I think it was the same as the Nikko Bison/Sears Super Lobo?) The Rockbuster, Roadrunner, Lazer, Galaxy Buggy, Manx, and Cyclone (I think that's all of them) all have chassis which are interchangeable/identical with the Hornet and Grasshopper. I'd say the best equipped Hopper chassis (saying Superfly is cheating!) is the Mugen Manx/Cyclone. Anti-roll bars, You-G oil shocks front and rear, and double wishbone front suspension! I want to eventually restore one of every Hopper chassis vehicles for my collection. The only issue is that I am a cheapskate lol :roll:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

ZED32 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:16 am
Dadio wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:13 am Nice find :D Ampro Engineering on YouTube did an episode on these , probably the best equipped Hopper out there , there was a ton of clones of them in the 80s , even Traxxas made one called the Cat but theirs cannot have been a clone as Traxxas would never steal ideas from others then patent them :lol:
Wait, he did? I thought I had seen every ampro video! I know about the Roadrunner and Rockbuster buyers guides, I dont recall the Lazer ever being mentioned. The Cat, as far as I know, is not a Hornet copy at all. Totally different chassis. (I think it was the same as the Nikko Bison/Sears Super Lobo?) The Rockbuster, Roadrunner, Lazer, Galaxy Buggy, Manx, and Cyclone (I think that's all of them) all have chassis which are interchangeable/identical with the Hornet and Grasshopper. I'd say the best equipped Hopper chassis (saying Superfly is cheating!) is the Mugen Manx/Cyclone. Anti-roll bars, You-G oil shocks front and rear, and double wishbone front suspension! I want to eventually restore one of every Hopper chassis vehicles for my collection. The only issue is that I am a cheapskate lol :roll:
Maybe I'm thinking of the Cyclone that Ampro did .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.