XX4 Questions ( their finaly here new Pic's)

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bearrickster
Approved Member

XX4 Questions ( their finaly here new Pic's)

Post by bearrickster »

I just bought my frist XX4 and no nothing about them so I need some help. did they make an undertray? what are the strong / Week points? thanks
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Brandon G
Approved Member

Re: XX4 Questions

Post by Brandon G »

Strong points: Excellent balance and suspension.

Weak points: Inefficient drive train, Graphite parts can sometimes be brittle, Working on the drivetrain sucks. However, with the new Lipo's and BL systems out there, the inefficient drivetrain is no longer that much of an issue.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

on mine I notice that with high power motors the belt will slip. if you tighten it up, then the drivetrain has drag so really you have to find that happy medium. otherwise it drives like a dream.

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Post by minimini »

are the Losi belts made of some sort of bio-degradable materials ??.........I heard from someone that the belts will "melt" in 2 years' time.........
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

No undertray has ever been made that I am aware of. The car has been and still is hugely popular/successful over in Europe, assuming they can find parts.

On the body thing, you should go down the HW body, as the stock ones are hard to find. As far, as I know the only difference is the scoop on the side pod, but I haven't examined it that close.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I need to check the body I have at home to see which version it is

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Scoop on drivers side pod - HW, no scoop - Stock..... at least that is the easiest way for me to tell.
www.gojammedia.com

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

What is the point of the HW body? I think if I can find a nice Corr truck body thats the way I want to go anyway. I tryed to get the last one that was on here but was short I did get the Jrx2 one though.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

does any body know anything about the X-5 Squared Conversion Kit is it worth the big money?
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I think I recall asking the same question, but can't remember... you might try a search. Eau Rouge will probably be the best to answer that question.
www.gojammedia.com

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Hi,

I alternatively race my XX4 and X5 squared here in the UK. I agree with all the comments about the XX4 - it's awesome on a bumpy track and the drivetrain is fine once you change all three belts to the high strength green type (the fact it's also fully sealed is a big bonus). It's still a highly competitive chassis, especially with modern electrics. As already stated, the main weak points are the rather poor material used for the shock towers & front suspension arms. When Losi re-released the car a few years ago they were unable to manufacture parts using the same graphite material as the 90's cars. The new material is noticeably weaker. See http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=73948&sid=23061 for full story.

I started racing an X5 because it's better balanced left to right + the weight more centralised giving the car more steering & better turn in. I find the X5 better again over bumps compared to the XX4 & much easier to control in the air as it flies level.

I haven't seen much of a benefit from the single belt, indeed quite the opposite because nice as the conversion idea is, X-Factory could do with refining the drivetrain further. For example, the standard X5 spur pulley is moulded out-of-true, meaning you have to run the XX4 part which affects the internal gear ratio. The diffs and belt rub on the inside of the chassis, also the X5 slipper is a weak point with today's motors. To stop it from slipping you have to lock it solid...so why have one in the first place?! :shock: If it slips too much the spur gear overheats melting the center & then it's bin fodder. I modded mine by drilling a second set of holes and running two sets of Losi XXX4 slipper pucks which helps. Final weak points of the X5 are the the XX4 parts, i.e. shock towers & front wishbones. X-Factory have just released a set of front and rear carbon fibre braces for the towers, an idea that's been around for a while. These make them pretty much bullet proof.

I still haven't managed to get rid of belt slip on my X5 and so on a high grip astro turf track I'll usually revert back to the XX4 as I find the drivetrain more reliable! On U.S. tracks I don't think this would be much of a problem.

The X5 squared is much the same as the original X5, only differences are a slightly stronger chassis, new belt tensioner and horrible natural nylon colored belt covers (nothing that makes it any faster, just more reliable). Both X5's share the worlds worst bodyshell ever. Please, please can someone release a new one!!

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

thanks I think I will just get a brushless and run it stock for a wile since our track is very rough it should do ok thanks
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

minimini wrote:are the Losi belts made of some sort of bio-degradable materials ??.........I heard from someone that the belts will "melt" in 2 years' time.........
I bought a new built XX4 a while back off fleabay, and the thing had never been run, but the drivetrain was bound. Pulled the cover off, and the yellow belts seemed to have disintegrated. I was picking bits of belt out of the chassis for 30 min. Bought the greens, good to go.

tazz888
Approved Member

Post by tazz888 »

Losi reissued the XX4 because they are great on bumpy tracks. Besided the drivetrain access difficulty the only real week point of the car is the front suspension. I raced one for a few years and had great success with it. Just stock up on front arms and carriers. Try to find a set of Losi 7.5 deg alloy carriers if you can on ebay since thay have been discontinued for a while.
Ron DePoto
Team Driver:
Schumacher / Speedpassion / Core RC / Express Motorsports / Dialed Inc. / ROAR Region 1 Director

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I love my XX4. A fellow racer found a supplier of Delrin front arms, and I bought a set from him, and havent changed them since. I went through front arms (on both the X5 and XX4) like water. I have had good luck with the shock towers, but have seen many break. I recently completely rebuilt my XX4 for an upcoming race, updated the rear with XXXCR rear hubs and rearranged everything to run a stick lipo. I have ran the car a couple times with the electronics set up like this and love it. Since the pictures, I have added a rear sway bar and softened up the rear end. My next race is on the 24th, a very large 1/8th scale track (Thunder Alley in Beaumont, CA). I have a full set of JConcepts Rulux wheels and both types of their tires to try out there. I will post more after the race if you want Rick. I will dig out the Heavy Metal body and measure up when I get a chance, flying out to Memphis Tues~Thurs, so time is tight this week.

Here is a couple pics for you to check out (yes, the car is all OG plastic, I took off all the graphite during the rebuild).

--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com