question on rc10 plastic

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

markt311
Approved Member

question on rc10 plastic

Post by markt311 »

Just a quick question, I have a gearbox and the screw holes' threads are starting to let go. Is there any way I could fill the holes with CA or some similar material and then re-thread the screw holes? Does anyone have any experience trying this and how durable would it be after all is said and done? It's for a GT so it will see a good bit of abuse. I'm going to buy a new gearbox too but I'd like to have a good backup.
Thanks in advance
Mark
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: question on rc10 plastic

Post by mikedealer »

ive often gone to a 3mm screw when the 4-40 tap lets go, the 3mm screw is slightly thicker and will re-tap nicely.

using ca will probably lock the screw very hard, never did it myself. on only "lightly" damaged tap holes, ive used red thread lock with some success.

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

If the threads are mildly stripped, I've had success with putting a few drops of CA in the hole and spreading it around with a toothpick. Wait until it fully dries before putting the screw back in.

Robert

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I need to find some pretty long m3 screws then, they are the ones that go through the bottom of the chassis through the metal trans mount and thread into the gearbox. On a tub GT they are all that keep the rear of the chassis from flexing and letting the gear mesh get to the point of destroying the spur gear.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Mark,
I've done it often with great success. Mostly when I'm running and just don't wanna take the time to replace that night. Found out that once its said and done an aluminum screw will break off first before backing out though :oops: . So now if I absolutely don't wanna tear it apart I drop a few drops of CA then run a new carbon steel screw in. Holds tight and the new screw will hold up to removing from the CA without stripping the head out. Good luck.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

You can probably find long enough 3mm screws at a Home Depot or Lowe's. I have bought a lot of screws there. If they don't have them in an envelope on the wall look for the giant drawers. They have thousands of miscellaneous screws in them. Cheap too.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

they make heli-coils in 4/40. ive seen dirt oval guys fix bulkheads and trannies with them.