rc 10 gold pan info

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Gary

rc 10 gold pan info

Post by Gary »

Hi, I'm new here and fairly new in the hobby. I picked this creampuff up last week at a craiglist garage sale and I need some info. I think it's an mid or late '80's Edingers RC 10 from some research but I'm not sure. It has the white opaque plastic, I was told it was the original motor, has a futaba receiver and novak speed control. I'd like to restore it back to a buggy if possible. Where can I get parts for her? You guys are the experts and I sure would appreciate any help. It runs and drives but sometimes just takes off after letting off the throttle trigger on the futaba magnum junior radio, that came with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's some pics.
Thank you,
Gary :P
Attachments
rc106.jpg
rc106.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
rc106.jpg
rc106.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
rc105.jpg
rc105.jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
rc105.jpg
rc105.jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
rc104.jpg
rc104.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
rc104.jpg
rc104.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
rc103.jpg
rc103.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
rc103.jpg
rc103.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
rc102.jpg
rc102.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
rc102.jpg
rc102.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
rc101.jpg
rc101.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
rc101.jpg
rc101.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 2190 times

markt311
Approved Member

Re: rc 10 gold pan info

Post by markt311 »

Nice car! As far as dating it, I'm not the one to help, I've been proven wrong too many times. Your glitching problem could be a lot of things... motor brushes could be very worn, the crystals or the reciever could be going bad or you might need capacitors on the motor, if any of the motor or battery connectors are loose that could contribute to it. If you want to run it I would invest in a modern radio, the speed control will probably work just fine for stock motors though. It looks really good though
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

that's just a run of the mill 6 gear rc10 (not an edinger). looks like it has some aluminum rims, too.

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Welcome – nice looking rig.

For original parts, your best bet is eBay. It looks like all you’ll need to turn it back into a buggy are wheels, tires, battery strap, gear cover and an antenna mount. Oh, and maybe a body and wing. :D Those are still available new, though.

As to your issue with the car taking off on its own, it could be an issue with some of the components, but there are things I’d try first. In addition to the suggestions from markt311, you’ll want to rethink the location of those electronics. You don’t want the speed control sitting on top of the servo nor do you want the antenna wire hanging down like that. If you search around here, you’ll find plenty of examples of successful electronics placement.

Good luck!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

First of all, welcome aboard!

Here are some pieces of advice:

1) take off those 2 :shock: awful Tamiya plugs between the speedo and the motor and sold directly you motor wires to the motor plugs
2) place your speedo on the left side of the battery
3) place your rx to the right of the battery
4) use capacitors on your motor
5) after these steps, take of your motor gear and try your motor and servo on a table and see if everything is running smooth.
6) if the problems continue, you might have an old transmitter that is no more matching the rx frequence, then buy a new transmitter set or try to bring it to your LHS, some might be able to fine tune the frequency. You might also want to check the system without the motor connected or without the servo connected to deduce what is wrong. Check if your rx antenna is not broken or cut...

Good luck!

Gary

Post by Gary »

Hello all, and thanks for all the good advice. I am going to relocate all the electronics as suggested and get rid of the Tamaya plug. I was going to do that especially with the receiver. I saw some pics here that will help. It does have aluminum wheels. It came with a Ford truck body. The truck does have a broken right steering arm (knuckle) so if anyone has one they could spare I'll buy it from you. Here's a pic of the bottom of the pan and the body. Thanks again to everyone who replied and this is a great site!

Gary
Attachments
rc108.jpg
rc108.jpg (57.55 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
rc108.jpg
rc108.jpg (57.55 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
rc107.jpg
rc107.jpg (52.46 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
rc107.jpg
rc107.jpg (52.46 KiB) Viewed 2058 times

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

That chassis looks pretty clean underneath...you might want to bash something else around.....

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Your gold chassis looks way too clean to be run.........................................just my opinion :-)
Turn that car into a proper buggy, buy a parts car off ebay and do a swap - then you can have a shelfer and a runner.

Or you can sell that chassis to me and I will send you a lightly used chassis and some cash :mrgreen:

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Don't bash that mint looking chassis! :shock:

Gary

Post by Gary »

Well I guess after I clean up that electronic mess and resolder I'll disassemble everything and clean it in detail, put it back together and shelf it, will also look for some tires and wheels and a buggy body for it. I need a battery strap and the steering arm to make it complete as far as I know. Then I'll find another one I can bash. These old RC 10's seem a little addicting to me :lol:

Gary

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

wow great rc10 !! looks too nice to run. id keep it like it is (as a truck) shelf it (up on blocks so the tires dont get flat spots). if you want a buggy to run go to ebay. as for your problem runing and it takin off... is it takin off after the battery is being used ?? i had a speed controler like yours and if the battery started to get a little low the car would just take off (junked it and got a new one)..what i would do is buy an rc10 ready to run on ebay . if you want you use the electronics in the new car to problem solve the truck. plus all the post here have good info you can try..good luck

Gary

Post by Gary »

longboardnj wrote:wow great rc10 !! looks too nice to run. id keep it like it is (as a truck) shelf it (up on blocks so the tires dont get flat spots). if you want a buggy to run go to ebay. as for your problem runing and it takin off... is it takin off after the battery is being used ?? i had a speed controler like yours and if the battery started to get a little low the car would just take off (junked it and got a new one)..what i would do is buy an rc10 ready to run on ebay . if you want you use the electronics in the new car to problem solve the truck. plus all the post here have good info you can try..good luck
Hi, thanks for the kind words,yes I thought about the low battery thing and thought that may have been it. I removed the electronics today and got rid of that tamiya plug and ran the motor afterward and it seemed just fine. I wound up getting an old gold pan buggy off eBay the other night, I got off work and had a libation or 2 and decided to buy this, probably paid too much, but I thought I could bash this one and have some fun.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Team-Associated-RC-10_W0QQitemZ320336237606QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item320336237606&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Gary

blown5.0
Approved Member

Post by blown5.0 »

I would definitely vote to leave it with the truck conversion and put it on the shelf, way too nice to run and get all scratched up or break.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

i think its a good deal.. theres a whole car there.. every time i buy something like that i just think of the times ive spent more in one nite in new york city and i feel good about it

Gary

Post by Gary »

Asso_man! wrote:First of all, welcome aboard!

Here are some pieces of advice:

1) take off those 2 :shock: awful Tamiya plugs between the speedo and the motor and sold directly you motor wires to the motor plugs
2) place your speedo on the left side of the battery
3) place your rx to the right of the battery
4) use capacitors on your motor
5) after these steps, take of your motor gear and try your motor and servo on a table and see if everything is running smooth.
6) if the problems continue, you might have an old transmitter that is no more matching the rx frequence, then buy a new transmitter set or try to bring it to your LHS, some might be able to fine tune the frequency. You might also want to check the system without the motor connected or without the servo connected to deduce what is wrong. Check if your rx antenna is not broken or cut...

Good luck!
Hi again, thanks to all for your help and comments. One more question for now. How do I put or use capacitors on the motor?

Gary