Your biggest mistake

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

xanadu
Approved Member

Your biggest mistake

Post by xanadu »

Just for fun, what was thee BIGGEST mistake that you ever made by getting rid of an rc car? Mine was selling one of the composite craft lynx prototypes to a friend who got mad and broke it in half one day. I would give my real car to have that one back! :cry:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Your biggest mistake

Post by Eau Rouge »

I regret not selling certain cars sooner. I only regret missing market swings and high water marks.

I guess I regret the ones that I didn't buy, too. Come to think of it, I have regretted buying certain cars (like the last one I purchased this winter—an unused Kyosho Scorpion—in a moment of weakness), so I guess you could say that I have never regretted selling anything, but not selling plus buying plus not buying carries all of my R/C regrets.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I should never have gotten rid of my first Hornet. I can't even remember what became of it. Sold, traded? No idea. :cry: It's my last thought when I go to bed and my first when I wake up. OK, not really, but I have yet to buy a re-re because it will never be the same. My Thundershot was cool too and I think I threw it away at about 16 because I thought my girlfriend would see it and think I was too much of a kid to...well you know...wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more... :wink:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I didn't notice before, but why is this in the "Tech" forum?? :lol: Oh well...
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I don't really regret this, but more wish I would have held onto my very first RC car, a Tamiya Subaru Brat and also my first RC10. This was back in my early high school days. I never would have thought the nostalgia would have meant so much to me today. But to answer your question directly, I regret selling a NIB 2 Speed PB Mini Mustang. I sold it before I really could appreciate what it was....... since I have become more educated, it would have been one to hold onto.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

toykilla
Approved Member

Post by toykilla »

I got rid of my first 10T, an RPM ultra molded 10T, and a near-new T2. That was all about 15 years ago. I am in the process of paying stupid amounts of money to buy similar ones off ebay :lol:

Mazdaj
Approved Member

Post by Mazdaj »

I remember getting rid of my Javelin and JRXT-boy was that dumb. I got the Javelin new for some rediculously cheap amount in the closeout section of the Tower Hobbies catalog-it had been discontinued by that time. Wish I had bought a bunch of them and put them in storage-oh, well.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

I have a couple....

No.1: Selling my Tamiya Porsche 959 AND Toyota Celica Gr.B cars.... both complete with Technigolds, ready to run, with heaps of spares, for AUS$250.

No.2: Walking into an infamous hobby shop here in Melbourne and NOT buying The Tamiya Racing Master Renault 5 NIB kit for AUS$125.... and instead walking out with the VW Golf of the same series.... and then coming back many years later and seeing the SAME R5 kit, with the SAME price, and not buying it again!

No.3: Selling my personal favourite car, my PB Mini Mustang, for AUS$80 to a mate. Was one of the first cars I painted, and to this day remains probably my favourite paint job...

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

1. Driving to oblivion, the near mint RPS SE YZ834B that I bought off my friends brother for 110.00 in 1989. I am VERY sure 2 bodies, and most of the chassis are still in the yellow box inside another box in my moms rafters... last year I found one of the wheels floating in my HeMan box.... The search continues.

2. Thinking that my 12L would hold up with 10 cells. Instead it barrel rolled "out of my dads wallet and into the trash" Pretty sure some of those parts are in my SE box (see above)

and...
3. 1990
Punishment for wrapping my trombone around another guy in band for his mouth...
You can see me marching next to him in this video... we are both in the front row of the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsXuuCb9sw

Result:
I had to sell my 3 year old Blackfoot that was my 12th birthday present.
(unfortunately no photos)

"Full" Thorp Final Drive.
Full ball bearing
Pretty much the CRP catalog.
Sees alloys.
Futaba electronics.
Alloy parts in trailing arms..cant remember who.
2 Pro-Tech chargers, about 10 battery packs.
Countless spares.

$350.00 in 1990

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

I have a 6016 car in my garage right now, on loan/storage/whatever from a guy at work about the same age as myself. It is built, slightly ran and has just a few scratches on the bottom. condition is a 7 out of 10 for the box, full instructions, and whatnot.

This 6 gear car from about 1990 to 91 has never been rebuilt. It still has the doublesided tape on the trans, at the right angle.

About 90% ready for shelf queen. My guess is that about 70-100 investment would make it perfect. It needs a front swaybar set, front arms, the right wheels/tires, a new nose piece and a new front body tower. I can live with the minor scratches on the bottom.
It still has the mechanical speed control on it and the associated stock motor is flawless.

I can't get him to tell me how much he wants for it, but he wants to sell it. He bought it on ebay a few years ago for 100.00 and wants to get more then he paid. He didnt know what it was at the time, he just liked the caddy street body it came with.

Call it a survivor.

I hope I dont make a mistake on this one, but at least it is in my custody for a while

I told him 150.00 and he is thinking about it.

j.d.roost
Approved Member

Post by j.d.roost »

1. Trading my 1st rc10 for a set crappy of crager ss rims.
2. Trading a VERY clean rough rider for a nice Brat and a xr311 ( now both are re-re kits :oops: )..
3.Not buying a nib Mountaineer for $300 at a local hobby shop in 1999 ( I discovered Ebay later that year) :oops: :evil:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

j.d.roost wrote:1. Trading my 1st rc10 for a set crappy of crager ss rims.
oh my god. that's worse than trading for a set of regular cragars. :lol:

j.d.roost
Approved Member

Post by j.d.roost »

LOL...Yea that's what happens when you are 16 and going from rc to real cars...
I think they went rusty only a year later.
In hindsight RC would have been a better investment. :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I remember seeing an original tamiya avante in the scratch 'n dent section in a towerhobbies flyer and not jumping on it. Of course, I probably would have bashed the crap out of it, but it would have been sweet either way by now.....

my other mistake(s) is tossing or letting most of my manuals get ruined (water damaged).

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Not buying the remaining stock of RC stuff at Michael's in Belfair, Wa. They threw about 15 grand worth of Tamiya stuff into the dumpster and I missed it. New manager had no idea what he had, wanted it gone. This was before ebay got so big. Mid 90's.

Also regret selling my RC10 Worlds car in 2005.