Perfect gearing / motor setup for the buggy?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

campbuds
Approved Member

Perfect gearing / motor setup for the buggy?

Post by campbuds »

4/18 - please check lastest post at botttom.

Ok, I realize what I am asking is probably depending on how I am using it.

I am basically using it for backyard bashing and such. (I wouldn't know where to take it to race)

But... I want it to take off fast and be fast. What would be the best setup for the 6gear CE buggy as far as motor, battery and gearing?

Maybe I need to word it this way... what would be the most fun setup?

EDIT: mostly street and dirt surfaces.

campbuds
Approved Member

Re: Perfect gearing / motor setup for the buggy?

Post by campbuds »

if i am asking something that has been covered somewhere else please feel free to point me there.

I could not seem to find the answer to this. I mostly found stuff that was specific to individuals setups.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

With a 6gear you need to be careful about the motor size.

For backyard bashing I would go with a modern 27T motor. You would need to try different gear ratios that best suite your needs.

I personally would recommend upgrading to a stealth transmission(30-40$ on the bay) and a cheap BL setup.

ED

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I would recommend a decent 19-turn motor, one with ball-bearings. This will have tons of torque to muscle that six gear tranny, and still have pretty good top end speed - usually won't be as drastically tuned as a 27-turn motor, which has timing cranked, etc., to get the most out of stock class limitations.

There is no beating modern LiPo (or LiFe) batteries, but, if you want to stick with NiMH, there are still a lot of good batteries at fair prices through online hobby stores, eBay, etc. They are fine for back-yard bashing.

As far as gearing, it depends on your particular terrain, as well as the efficiency of your particular model, even tire/wheel size should be considered - I would start pretty conservative (i.e. numerically high ratio), perhaps 14/54 (pinion/spur) for a stock six gear transmission.

Be sure to check component temperatures (motor, battery, ESC) often during you first few runs to be sure you are not over-stressing anything.
-dldiaz

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

well, I just rebuilt the tranny with all new ball bearings and CVDs... so maybe not so interested in upgrading the tranny right now.

Brushless sounds cool, but maybe not necessary until I run some of my current stuff past it's useful life. (maybe)

so what would the difference be between a 27T and a 19T motor?

I will post tire size as soon as I can find something to measure with. My measure tape is MIA

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

The 19T will be more powerful, as well as more mildly tuned (i.e. - more efficient, partly due to ball-bearings). 27T motors are great, torquey motors, but, they are highly tuned to get every last bit of power out of the 27 turn restriction (they also run bushings instead of ball-bearings, per the ROAR rule book).

I find many 27T motors to actually draw more current than an efficient 19T, again this is due to the extreme tuning, and the high friction bushings.

Remember, there are motors available in all kinds of winds (21T, 23T, 17T, 18T), and there are excellent examples of each - it's just that the 19T class became quite popular a few years ago (so called "spec" class), so there are a lot of good 19T motors on the market (Reedy, Trinity, Checkpoint, etc.).
-dldiaz

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

dldiaz wrote:The 19T will be more powerful, as well as more mildly tuned (i.e. - more efficient, partly due to ball-bearings). 27T motors are great, torquey motors, but, they are highly tuned to get every last bit of power out of the 27 turn restriction (they also run bushings instead of ball-bearings, per the ROAR rule book).

I find many 27T motors to actually draw more current than an efficient 19T, again this is due to the extreme tuning, and the high friction bushings.

Remember, there are motors available in all kinds of winds (21T, 23T, 17T, 18T), and there are excellent examples of each - it's just that the 19T class became quite popular a few years ago (so called "spec" class), so there are a lot of good 19T motors on the market (Reedy, Trinity, Checkpoint, etc.).
So how on earth do you decide what is best? I want a fast RC10. I want it fast enough that it is almost difficult to control but I want it to take off quick too. Am I asking too much of this buggy?

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

campbuds wrote: I want a fast RC10. I want it fast enough that it is almost difficult to control but I want it to take off quick too. Am I asking too much of this buggy?

go brushless with a 2 cell Lipo & a motor in the 4000Kv range-- you will not be able to wipe the smile off of your face, if you can keep the front wheels on the ground. :wink: :lol:

I'm running the traxxas 3500Kv motor with both the Mamba Max & the Traxxas Brushless ESC-- both are a TON of fun. Imagine cruising along at half speed, punching the throttle, & pulling a wheelie-- pretty crazy stuff! :mrgreen:

There is some question as to how long the 6 gear will hold up tot he brushless power-- it will be fun for you to find out!
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Jeep-Power wrote:There is some question as to how long the 6 gear will hold up tot he brushless power-- it will be fun for you to find out!
I heard the time before meltdown with a 6 gear and BL is 3 minute. :P

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

Jeep-Power wrote: go brushless with a 2 cell Lipo & a motor in the 4000Kv range-- you will not be able to wipe the smile off of your face, if you can keep the front wheels on the ground. :wink: :lol:

I'm running the traxxas 3500Kv motor with both the Mamba Max & the Traxxas Brushless ESC-- both are a TON of fun. Imagine cruising along at half speed, punching the throttle, & pulling a wheelie-- pretty crazy stuff! :mrgreen:

There is some question as to how long the 6 gear will hold up tot he brushless power-- it will be fun for you to find out!
Very true that there is nothing more powerful than a good brushless motor powered by lithium polymer batteries - these combos make incredible power!

I thought you were staying relatively old-school with a brushed motor and NiMH batteries - I still run tons of vintage models on brushed/NiMH set-ups, and my favorite combo for some of the heavier/less efficient models is the 19T motor, geared mostly for acceleration (as described above), and a good 3800-4200mAh NiMH battery. However, there are nearly infinite combinations one could decide upon.
-dldiaz

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

Maybe I will stay old school and save the hard core bashing for a newer model... or not.

I guess that is something I need to decide.

I have been considering getting the new 4.1 which comes brushless and 2.4ghz radio

I am guessing I would get the same crazy results with the new buggy as I would by putting brushless in my vintage only the new one is built for it? (this last statement is a question)

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I have to say the rc-10 B4.1 does look like a good deal. You get a 2.4Ghz radio, a decent brushles setup and a car that you can still buy parts for easily. I do not own one, so I can not comment on the strength/bashability though.

ED

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

modified or not? single or double?

what is the difference?

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

so would this be a relatively safe setup for the 6 gear tranny?

with the idea it could still kill it, is it at least on the safe side?

According to the guy above it would still be insanely fast.... right?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-brushless-system-combo.html

or

http://www.hobbypartz.com/car.html

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

Here is what I just tried and is getting close... probably a good battery would do the trick.

16 tooth pinion and 86 tooth spur w/ a 8T motor

problem is I lose the ability to control steering at WOT so I am guessing a good battery (maybe LIPO) and I would get my steering back and more speed.