A little lesson from your Ol' Uncle Erich

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

A little lesson from your Ol' Uncle Erich

Post by Erich Reichert »

If you've ever said to yourself "you know... I've worked on and fixed just about every part of an r/c car for 25 years and have a degree in electronics... I think I could handle taking my iPhone apart and swapping out the housing"... DON'T DO IT!!! The pure and unbridled hell that is microscopic screws and flex cables and impossibly small phillips head screw heads will unhinge you! HEED MY WARNING!!! :evil:

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Re: A little lesson from your Ol' Uncle Erich

Post by skunk.werkz »

Apple products are made in hell and the production supervisor is Satan.

I will never own another Ipod as long as i live..

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

LOL. I love my phone and frankly I can't believe I would do something like this to my beloved phone. I've had Apple stuff all my life and never had an issue that wasn't my own doing (like this :( )

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

skunk.werkz wrote:Apple products are made in hell and the production supervisor is Satan.

I will never own another Ipod as long as i live..
So hell is Shenzen , near to Hongkong? That's where most apple parts come from; a mega company called fox-conn.
They recently gave all personnel a salary raise because the suicide rate in their company was hurting their 'good' name with their international customers.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I started to take apart my second gen iPod to replace the battery in it. This was last fall.

I still have not gotten it apart.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Eau Rouge wrote:I started to take apart my second gen iPod to replace the battery in it. This was last fall.

I still have not gotten it apart.

Which would explain your lack of cellular capability to receive pictures in text. Did you get those the other day speaking of? If you want, send the phone my way and I'll get it back together for you.

Well on another note, SUCESS!!! I am the proud new owner of a very red, much longer battery lifed and super cool looking... oh and OPERATIONAL iPhone 3g!!! Hardest/Most frustrating part was trying to get the little microscopic sized screws into place when you have a nature shake to your hands. A little Losi diff grease on the tip of the screwdriver did the trick and I had things back and working in a couple hours.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Erich Reichert wrote:Which would explain your lack of cellular capability to receive pictures in text. Did you get those the other day speaking of? If you want, send the phone my way and I'll get it back together for you.
Nah, it was an old iPod that I used as the in-dash player in my car. I wanted to replace the battery to re-sync it on the computer for some new music. It's not worth it...

I didn't get those photos, either, BTW. So don't go throwing around the technophob title too loosely just yet. I just hate phones and think everyone is addicted to them for no obvious reason. ;) I spend enough time in front of a computer, I don't need to take a miniature one with me wherever I go, too.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

LOL I hear ya. I'll email them to myself one at a time and them bulk them to you.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

:lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dankeschön!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I get the same level of frustration trying to disassemble/reassemble laptops. I swear those $*(^%& things are built by gnomes or something!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Quasi

Post by Quasi »

I recently replaced the keyboard on a unibody aluminum MacBook Pro. Just getting to the keyboard took about an hour and a half. Then to find out the keyboard was held to the unibody by about 40 pin size phillips screws. It was one of those things where once I had started I was too far into it to turn back.