New body styling-

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: New body styling-

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Eau Rouge wrote:The spec tire/wheel/body idea is exactly what we did when we came up with the USVTA concept a few years ago. One type of tire allowed ONLY, a few different wheel styles in one size and a few different colors, plus about a half-dozen different approved bodies that looked like real race cars. It was a HUGE success, and was even made a class at the Snowbirds and adopted into the ROAR rulebook as a real class. One motor, a few ESCs, open chassis and setup, and you have a winner.

Three years later, though, and we constantly still have people complaining that there isn't enough body selection and that they can't be "individual" enough, whatever that means. People will always find something to complain about, though. It's the nature of the R/C beast.

I have thought about trying to develop a spec series for off road similar to the USVTA, but at this point, there are already WAY too many classes, and most of them are the fad-of-the-month SCs. My new local indoor off road track has NINE classes, and 5 of them are truck classes (3 different SC classes). Plain ol' stupid if you ask me, but no one was. ;)
I have some smelly blueish tires to donate to your search for a spec off-road class :P

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I have some smelly blueish tires to donate to your search for a spec off-road class :P
Spec classes will work, if 1) the cars reasonably resemble race cars, 2) you don't limit it to one brand/one chassis, 3) you don't create a product AROUND a potential class and then hope to sell said product. Funky blue tires have little appeal to anyone.

Spec tires work.
Spec motors work.
Spec ESCs work.
Spec bodies work.

It just depends on how you go about it to make it all work together. We had ~100 cars at the very first Vintage Trans Am Nationals. One class, one tire, one motor and a handful of different bodies.

It's still working. ;)

SoloGraphix
Approved Member

Post by SoloGraphix »

Spec Bandits for all!!! :lol:

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

Well ...

1) I think that scale appearance is important for attracting new enthusiasts. It would be nice if something other than 2.2" wheels and tires were commonly available because although they perform better, it doesn't matter if everyone is running them.

2) "Flavor of the month" is terrible for the hobby. We do *not* want 14 y/o's heading out to get a car and gear only to have the class evaporate in less than 12 months. The prevalence of excellent RTR race vehicles such as the b4.1 and t4.1 are great for the hobby ... ready to bash in minutes but also highly capable on the track. The SC classed are not "flavor of the month"; the scale appeal, durability, and buy-in from so many manufacturers ensures some staying power.

3) Finally, I'm interested in increasing access to R/C "racing", not "winning R/C races". If spec classes were adopted with a limited number of motor-esc options, scale baja bodies, and a spec tire appropriate for the track, the vintage guys could run and compete. Sure, a brand new B4 team set up with the same gear would have some advantage, but the people who win week in and week out tend to be the best *drivers*, with or without the best gear. And if you are about competing, not just winning, who cares? Finishing mid pack with a huge turn-out beats winning a 3 car main any day...

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Mr-lexan 's choice of a cabforward body may not be a good example but there's been enough others which look way better than the body which started this threat (not a spelling mistake)

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Are you talking about those made by the big "T" Mr. Ed.??? :lol:

Thunder this and Terra that!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Scale look is very cool I'll admit, but it doesn't necessarily lead to good racing. If that were true than most real race cars would have shocks the size of a human being. R/C cars are r/c cars and should be left that way. There's a reason years of development have brought them to where they are. These cars are awesome these days. They perform killer and any serious racer(which I am not, even though I do race week in and week out)appreciates the new tech. I am vintage thru and thru, but the I still find the new cars and styles very cool and refreshing. In fact, I'm not even sure I know what my point is now... :lol: but the Colts beat the Jags! At least this is the "off topic" section. :mrgreen: Sorry everybody... :oops: :) :D :mrgreen: :P
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: In fact, I'm not even sure I know what my point is now... :lol: but the Colts beat the Jags! At least this is the "off topic" section. :mrgreen: Sorry everybody... :oops: :) :D :mrgreen: :P
:lol:
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

losiXXXman wrote:Are you talking about those made by the big "T" Mr. Ed.??? :lol:

Thunder this and Terra that!!
Of course Tamiya's got some examples, but they're not alone. Anyway, my point was : cabforward, more efficient etc... all fine but there's got to be ways to do that without looking so ugly.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Eau Rouge wrote:The spec tire/wheel/body idea is exactly what we did when we came up with the USVTA concept a few years ago. One type of tire allowed ONLY, a few different wheel styles in one size and a few different colors, plus about a half-dozen different approved bodies that looked like real race cars. It was a HUGE success, and was even made a class at the Snowbirds and adopted into the ROAR rulebook as a real class. One motor, a few ESCs, open chassis and setup, and you have a winner.

Three years later, though, and we constantly still have people complaining that there isn't enough body selection and that they can't be "individual" enough, whatever that means. People will always find something to complain about, though. It's the nature of the R/C beast.

I have thought about trying to develop a spec series for off road similar to the USVTA, but at this point, there are already WAY too many classes, and most of them are the fad-of-the-month SCs. My new local indoor off road track has NINE classes, and 5 of them are truck classes (3 different SC classes). Plain ol' stupid if you ask me, but no one was. ;)
You only have nine classes? We usually have 5-6 groups of just short course with 6-8 racers in each group. We have a championship series that is sponsored by Rockstar. I raced in it last year and I ran in the spec class. It was any stock short course truck. The only mods you could do were to replace the tx,rx, and steering servo. Had to run any of the stock kit tires for any short course truck along with the stock wheels. We also had to use nimh packs no lipos were allowed. We had 16 drivers in just that class. We had on average 65-70 entries all of them ONLY short course. we ran two heats then B-mains, and then A-mains. Usually took about 3-4 hours to go through all the races. Lots of fun though.