Vintage JRX Pro questions

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jasonnewyork

Vintage JRX Pro questions

Post by jasonnewyork »

Hi to all - I'm new to this forum. I just dug out my R/C collection from 20 years ago. I already sold some items, but thinking about keeping and running my JRX Pro. Before I use it, would like to do a mild restoration, tear down, cleaning, and reassembly. Before starting, I have some questions for the Losi experts out there.

1. Rear tires - I need to replace them as the originals are bald from street bashing. I would like to re-use the factory rims, where can I get 2.00" x 1.50" tires? I went on Ebay and found "vintage" tires but the prices were insane, $40-60 shipped. Are there any modern tires in this size? I can't seem to find anything.

2. It's been a long time, but when I rebuild the gearbox, what type of lube should I use for the gears, if any? I found Losi ball diff lube online, so I know I can still get that. I was able to download the Losi instructions online, but there is no mention of gearbox lube, only the diff.

3. The shocks were innovative at the time, with the cartridge system for easy rebuilding. My question is, are these still available new, or do I have to search the web and look for some vintage items?

Here are some pics:

mytimac
Business Member

Re: Vintage JRX Pro questions

Post by mytimac »

2.0 tires from losi.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSA7378S

Shocks cartridges like original are harder to come by. The newer A5015 will work just fine, might want to use a spacer internally since they are shorter than the vintage ones.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSA5015

Pretty sure the manual said not to use lube on the gears because of some magic thing in them or something like that. :)
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I have a set of four 2" CustomWorks road tires and foams that I don't need. I don't know if you're looking for offroad spike tires or road tires, but since you mentioned your tires were bald from on-road bashing, I thought you might be interested. Here's the link. The tires are shown mounted on a 2" Kyosho Turbo Optima wheel, they fit perfectly. I also mounted them on 2.2" HPI Super Star wheels. They fit tight, but snugly. They've never been glued or driven on.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19510

Since you won't have access to that link until you have 25 posts, here are some pics. I'd take $13 plus shipping for 1 pair of tires & foams.
Attachments
TiresFoams1.jpg
TiresFoams1.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
TiresFoams1.jpg
TiresFoams1.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
TiresFoams2.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jasonnewyork

Post by jasonnewyork »

mytimac - If the shock cartidges are shot, will order the ones you recommended. How much difference is there in size? If I don't use spacers, will the shock extend longer? Thanks for tire tip too. Are those tires 2 x 1.5"? That's the size of my current rims.

Coelacanth - thanks for offering me your street tires but I would like to get new spikes. I used to run in the street back in the day, so killed my factory X patterns. I don't plan on doing that again :).

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

No worries, Jason...if you plan to run in the street some more, don't do it with spikes. ;)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

jasonnewyork wrote:mytimac - If the shock cartidges are shot, will order the ones you recommended. How much difference is there in size? If I don't use spacers, will the shock extend longer? Thanks for tire tip too. Are those tires 2 x 1.5"? That's the size of my current rims.

Coelacanth - thanks for offering me your street tires but I would like to get new spikes. I used to run in the street back in the day, so killed my factory X patterns. I don't plan on doing that again :).
too bad that tire seems to command so much-

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

Don't worry about the cartridges extending the shocks too far ... there are spacers in the replacement cartridge kit that allow for you to compensate for the extra throw. Plus, the new cartridges, as you will see, are rebuildable, unlike the originals. Once they start leaking you can remove them, pop them open, and replace the o-rings inside with rings that are available from Losi.

I understand that you are interested in running the original wheels, but consider doing a search on running modern wheels (with modern size tires -- 2.2" front and back) in order to make running your car off-road or in the street more affordable. At $13 a pair, those Losi 2.0" tires are pretty expensive, but you don't have many other options.

Great looking car ... post some pictures post tear-down and rebuild.

jasonnewyork

Post by jasonnewyork »

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to start tearing it down, and then put it back together. Not too sure if I will keep it yet, have to see.

I would like to have a nice basher car for myself and nephews to play with. I just sold some old Tamiya stuff so liquidating my collection. As much as I like the old stuff, I have to admit Traxxas has some nice RTR cars. So much has changed, wondering if worth keeping an old car just for bashing.

vintagercfreak

Post by vintagercfreak »

Pretty clean X pro! I miss both of mines.. Someday.. Well if your interested I have some
Diff gears laying around.. Pm!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

vintagercfreak wrote:Pretty clean X pro! I miss both of mines.. Someday.. Well if your interested I have some
Diff gears laying around.. Pm!
You just can't wait can you-

Cpt.America
Approved Member

Post by Cpt.America »

Before you go any farther, I am hoping to soon build a racer JRX2 at my local track, and we run slicks. So please don't toss those tires/wheels, I could really use them!!! email me at brandonh_sd (at) yahoo.com please!
- Team Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Cpt.America wrote:Before you go any farther, I am hoping to soon build a racer JRX2 at my local track, and we run slicks. So please don't toss those tires/wheels, I could really use them!!! email me at brandonh_sd (at) yahoo.com please!
Where are you running slicks? Not many facilities that they work at around anymore

Cpt.America
Approved Member

Post by Cpt.America »

I race at an indoor clay track in Bremerton, WA. It is sort of a soft red type of clay.... treaded tires = slip n' slide, slicks = unreal traction.

http://bremertonrc.com
- Team Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -