Backing your paintjobs

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rangerg
Approved Member

Backing your paintjobs

Post by rangerg »

I have looked around and found conflicting opinions about backing painted lexan bodies. Do you back your paint jobs with a final layer of paint? I have read that you should and that the paint should be black (others say white and I have read that silver works for a metallic paint). Is this a good idea to do? Thanks for the advice.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Backing your paintjobs

Post by Coelacanth »

White to back lighter colors, white or silver to back pearl or metallic colors, and black to back dark colors. Also, you can slightly lighten or darken the final shade of a color by using either white/silver or black.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

rangerg
Approved Member

Post by rangerg »

thanks Coelacanth, what does the backing do? Strengthen the paint? Make the color stronger in that it stops light from shining through? Just wondering. Take care!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mostly to stop light from shining through.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

rangerg
Approved Member

Post by rangerg »

That makes sense

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

It also gives that extra level of protection.

Wyattriot77
Approved Member

Post by Wyattriot77 »

I Faskolor paint on all my bodies, which may give different results vs. using other paints. I always back my bodies in black, I think that it not only gives you an extra layer of paint, but it looks so much more finished. I hate when people have amazing paintjobs, and during action shots, you can see right through a wheel well, or in the window, only to see graffiti like paintwork on the inside,... which is a tell tale sign of the painter being rushed, or just not caring about doing a 100% perfict job.

So, when I do lighter bodies, I will always put one or two coats of white over everything just to be sure the black doesnt darken any of the light colors, then Black over all to finish it...

toyowner

Post by toyowner »

I think you may want to clarify what you are backing with. What I mean is if you use fascolor or waterbase in general then you are backing with a laquer to protect it not more waterbase. I have always done that with great results. Commonly I use silver on everything

jacsac
Approved Member

Post by jacsac »

I always like to back the backing color with white so that dirt is easier to see. I also coat the white with a final coat of Krylon crystal clear. The Krylon is scratch resistant and I have never had issues with flaking or any adverse chemical reaction when used with Pactra enamel.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I use Faskolor/Createx paint almost exclusively, and I use a good heavy coat of Rustoleum lacquer as a final protection coat. Never had any issues doing it like that, and my paint jobs usually outlast my bodies. As for color backing, I consider that part of the paint job, so I do that with the Faskolor, usually with white. If you do it that way it doesn't matter what color lacquer you use, it won't show through.