$100 parts lot: The good, the bad & the ugly

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

$100 parts lot: The good, the bad & the ugly

Post by Coelacanth »

I just finished combing through a $100 Optima parts lot I scored on here and thought I'd share the experience. You know, when you pick up a box full of parts, there's the anticipated items, a few downers, the "What were they thinking?!" parts, and an unexpected surprise or two. :) So, here are the highlights of what I found in the stash...

-A full Gold Celebration chassis; the Good :D Sideguards, connecting pieces, rear shock tower, rear gearbox side-plates and one frame rail in surprisingly good condition except for one stripped hole at the top of one gearbox side-plate. The Bad :x The stripped hole, front skidplate and shock tower in typical, beat-to-hell condition. You almost never find these parts in good shape. The Ugly :evil: A hole inexplicably drilled right through one of the frame rails; some...er...DIY modification of the front gearbox side-plates, small sections cut off, possibly to improve clearance of the steering assembly.

-A nice set of gold shocks, in very nice shape and still very smooth.

-A set of Hot Trick control arms in pretty good shape. They're scratched in places, which is fine--they won't stay red for long. :wink:

-NIP bottom plate, Gold motor guard, Optima chain, and EF-12 chain--any idea what that last one is for? The motor guard and untouched bottom plate definitely sweeten the deal.

-Most of a front half of an Optima, with bottom plate in typical shape, bumper in typical shape (but not broken at least) and a very dirty extra bottom plate in pretty good shape, I'm giving that one to my buddy. Also, 2 upper decks in unbroken condition, 3 nice chain guides with no stripped holes and one cover.

-Random plastic and metal parts, 4 diffs, plates, gearbox covers, and basically enough parts to build a car-and-a-half maybe.

-Unknown shock towers--Ultima? Anyone know? Won't be needing those...

But--saving the best for last, the unexpected surprise. The box it was shipped in had a bunch of loose screws & nuts, ball ends, tie rods and all that other miscellaneous crap in it. It was kinda like panning for gold, heh...I noticed a stock final pinion gear in there, all chewed to hell, tossed that out...but there it was, like a gold nugget: a second, hard final pinion in very good condition! :mrgreen:
Attachments
PartsLot1.jpg
PartsLot2.jpg
PartsLot3.jpg
PartsLot4.jpg
PartsLot5.jpg
PartsLot6.jpg
PartsLot6.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 641 times
PartsLot6.jpg
PartsLot6.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Re: $100 parts lot: The good, the bad & the ugly

Post by losiXXXman »

Those are Ultima Pro towers. I'll take 'em if they're up for grabs- I have a set, but couls always use another! (I will tell you that a set did pretty well (~20) on ebay last week though.)

kaz_z
Approved Member

Post by kaz_z »

wow, 100 bucks well spent! I'll offer you 120 for everything? :mrgreen: just joking :mrgreen:

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

This is a great story. I did the same thing about 5 years ago. I got a complete Optima belt drive system and a few NIP parts. Mostly got a bunch of used chassis and gearbox parts along with some stuff that I still can't figure out what they are.