Anyone have a FlySky radio?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

Re: Anyone have a FlySky radio?

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks - I downloaded the manual and at the end it says the USB cable is to use the driving simulator. But I didn't get the CD that was supposed to come with it (not that I'm surprised). Is there anywhere to download similar software?
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

notme
Approved Member

Post by notme »

I think whats on the cd is a demo of virtual rc simulator. You can get it from their site

http://www.virtualrc.com/
Bernie Casey
My vintage collection, rc10, rc10 ce, turbo optima ,xls, storm ,jrx2,jrx pro, xxt, inferno mp3

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

So I tried out the radio several times yesterday. I was amazed at the range and also how sensitive it is to inputs compared to the old Futaba radio. Problem is that these aging old eyes can't see that far down the street now! lol I think I will need to get some LED's put into / onto the car so its easier to see further down the street.

I have noticed that it definitely could use some extra trim, so I may look at modding it as someone previously menioned.
- Chris

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

i bought one for my son, and 3 extra receivers, seriously thinking of selling my M8/Spektrum & 3 receivers to pick up another set up and handful of receivers.

I have read up on the mods, really like what they can do, just feel lazy and dont want to attempt them myself :lol: , I probably will if I pick up a 2nd unit. I just outfitted my son's Losi Mini Crawler Pro with stuff from Hobbypartz, $55, full brushless/lipo/digital servo/receiver...this radio controls it fantastic, no issues.

notme...I may take you up on the extra programming board & stuff :mrgreen:
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

notme
Approved Member

Post by notme »

STM8 Board is sold, rc104ever beat ya to it.
Bernie Casey
My vintage collection, rc10, rc10 ce, turbo optima ,xls, storm ,jrx2,jrx pro, xxt, inferno mp3

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I just bought a GT3B. I've only taken it out of the box. I have an Airtronics MX-Sport radio in my RC10 now but decided to move it over to my new CR2 buggy. As small as the Flysky receiver is, my Airtronics is even smaller. The CR2 has very little space so every little bit counts. The GT3B will run my vintage cars so the cheap receivers and servos are a nice thing. I am disappointed that it doesn't come with a manual so I will have to download it.

It looks like a neat transmitter. However compared to my MX-Sport it doesn't feel as good or balanced in my hand. This is personal opinion of course. The MX-Sport is not as expensive as many other systems but it is still $100 compared to a third that price or less for the Flysky systems. Another receiver for it costs $60 and it was this reason that I decided to buy the Flysky for the other cars. It was going to get expensive to get electronics for 5 cars if I had to buy all Airtronics components so I decided to keep my MX-Sport for the car I intend to race.

I will say that before I bought the MX-Sport I had looked at the Spektrum systems. The older Spektrums are the ones that may have issues with the Flysky systems being nearby. The current one don't have any issues. The Spektrum system seemed nice but I went with the Airtronics based on price after feeling both systems. I just couldn't find myself spending the extra money and I'm happy with what I have.

Over the next couple of weeks as I get more familiar with the Flysky system and can directly compare it to my MX-Sport I'll be able to give a better objective opinion about it. Currently the MX-Sport is more comfortable but I'm also used to it. A good friend of mine sold his Airtronics MX-11, which is quite pricey, and is only using the GT3B. We'll see what I think soon enough.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I got mine setup yesterday. I just pulled out my Airtronics receiver and plugged in the new Flysky receiver in it's place. It worked right off the bat. You've got to remember to reverse channel 2. I was wondering why the car wouldn't move and then I must have pushed reverse on the radio because the car took off into the coffee machine. I was on the kitchen counter top. Lesson learned. I still haven't driven it enough to have a good feel for it yet but I still think my Airtronics feels much nicer to hold. It's bigger and I guess it reminds me of my old KO EX-5 which I loved. Hopefully I'll hit the track with it tomorrow or the next day. I still think it's a great setup for only $35.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I've been using mine for a few days now and have found that it works very well. It doesn't have the same quality feel as the old / ancient Futaba in terms of the throttle but steering is nearly as good.

It is much lighter (obviously) than the old one, but plastics quality seems to be similar.

Again, as already mentioned - for $35 I can afford to blow up a few of these before it costs the same as a basic Spektrum system. It's pretty tough to argue the case but we'll see how it holds up over time.
- Chris

dangermouse
Approved Member

Post by dangermouse »

I have one of the cheaper 2 channel radios on my 9T Brushless/Lipo powered Hornet runner. It works fine for a basic radio. Looks tacky, but feels fine in the hand. Most annoying thing about it is the super bright LEDs.

I think I'll get a few more 2 channel ones for the kids, and buy myself the 3channel version.

I also run two of the 3 channel receivers in a couple of Flying Wings. I have them bound to a Turnigy (Flysky) 9x radio. For surface receivers they have very good range in the air. Also they seem very good at ignoring electrical noise. One of my Wings was always glitching bad on 36Mhz FM, I went through 3 FM receivers and 3 different esc's but couldn't eliminate constant interferance that kept shooting it down... Set it up with the Turnigy/Flysky radio and it is now rock solid out to a near speck.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Well I finally got out to the track yesterday and ran using the new transmitter. I completely forgot I was using the GT3B and not the MX-Sport, not because of the feel but because I was too busy driving. That's how it should be. It's easy to compare what each feels like when you are just looking at the transmitter itself but when actually running the car I didn't notice a thing. It worked great. I did have a weird problem with it though. Sometimes the car would glitch like when the front was stuck up against a barrier. I'm not fortunate enough to have reverse. I could apply the brake and nothing would change. Once the car was pulled off the barrier, the problem would go away. The trim is adjusted fine and the wheels don't turn when I'm not touching the throttle. It's not a steering glitch either so I'm not sure what is going on. It doesn't really make any sense to me.

notme
Approved Member

Post by notme »

Fred, was it possible the front tires were under a load when against the barrier? Or anything else causing a load. If so it could be that power from the bec circuit is favored to the servo, and the rx is not getting enough to keep a steady signal. If that makes sense...just throwing that out there ;)
Bernie Casey

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

It could have been. It's an old nearly dead Futaba servo from about 1986 or so. It couldn't have been pulling that much current. The car has a Tekin Sport esc from around 1993 or so. The only thing I changed was the receiver from the Airtronics to the Flysky. I didn't have that problem with the Airtronics and I know for a fact that car got stuck against barriers with the wheels turned before.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Was looking at the Fly Sky website today and noticed there is a new GT2B, GT3C and GT4 that have just come out. Looks interesting. I sent them an email to find out about pricing.
- Chris

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

RC104ever wrote:Was looking at the Fly Sky website today and noticed there is a new GT2B, GT3C and GT4 that have just come out. Looks interesting. I sent them an email to find out about pricing.
Can you post a link to the website you were looking at? I'd like to check out the new radios.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

http://www.flysky-cn.com/eindex.asp

Wait for the flash at the top to cycle through and you'll see the radios.
- Chris