FPV

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jon burrows
Approved Member

Re: FPV

Post by jon burrows »

proffesso wrote:FPV looks like a lot of fun, however I would want to do it on a well setup 1/8th or better, 1/5th size truck, get a proper camera stabilizer in there.

ive seen some vids of some cars just chasing eachother around a track, really looks like a lot of fun...sure, nowhere near as quick as out of the car, but a lot more fun
ive done a little more interesting reading and came across this, check it out http://fpvpilot.com/FPVEMaxx.aspx , im sure with the correct setup and equiipment, vintage rc racing would be a whole different experience.
im going to look equipment to mount onto a vintage rc10, if i ever have time to finish building one :evil: . if i ever make any progress on this, ill post it. :D

mark in wi
Approved Member

Post by mark in wi »

I was trying to do something like this for a science experiment with middle a school science class. I ended up taping my WIFES :lol: iphone to the front of my sc10. Using Facetime and an ipad they were able to drive the car, but we had to go slow. There was enough of a delay that made it difficult to navigate through the class room. I don't know if it would be possiable/wise to race or even go tooo fast with the delay. I would guess that with enough time and money you could find something with a short enough lag time to try a race.

Try using a phone that can take videos to see what your car sees.
Oh yea you should only try this at your own risk and anything bad that happens is your own responsibility.......Bla..Bla.Bla...... :lol:

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

to be fair, that delay is by the phone and the round trip it takes through the servers. a local wireless signal should be pretty lag free, only a few ms difference
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

mark in wi
Approved Member

Post by mark in wi »

It wasn't a huge lag but just enough so it would be hard to drive much less race. It was fun to do!! I just think it would be hard to race using this. But I bet it would be fun to watch!! :lol:

dangermouse
Approved Member

Post by dangermouse »

I've just got most of my FPV gear (Fatshark goggles are awesome) to go into a quadcopter. I'm making it so it is easily moved around so I can put it in my glider and also want to try incar view from my Lunchbox.

Here's a couple of cool FPV vids...

[youtube]xX7BVZVxj_8[/youtube]
[youtube]KhyT0SjxlL4[/youtube]

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

W O W ! :shock:
Now that is exactly what I'm talkin about !!!!!!!!! The detail is amazing, like your behind the wheel. Love the shifter & steering wheel movement. I was a little disappointed though that you can't see his leg hitting the gas pedal :wink: . Only kidding, this is really amazing. 8)
This captures exactly what I thought it would do, it really makes r/c a whole new experience!

On another note, the fat shark goggles is what I am looking into, it seems that they are the most popular on the market. How long have you been toying with FPV?
Is there a complete setup package you would recommend?
Can I come over? :D

Thanks for posting!!!!!

mark in wi
Approved Member

Post by mark in wi »

I was wrong!! That is cool!!!! That is the first I've seen of something like that. That should be way fun!!!

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

mark in wi wrote:I was wrong!! That is cool!!!! That is the first I've seen of something like that. That should be way fun!!!
check out the rest of the videos on his channel. awesome!

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

So is it better to resurrect an old thread, or create a new one with a very similar topic? I have no idea...

Anyway, I'm getting very much interested in FPV with my RC vehicles. It would be cool to race that way, but I never figured on the lag time aspect. So I mainly am interested in FPV for bashing. So what I am really after is a camera that I can use for FPV when I'm at home bashing, but that I can also record with while at the track (since I won't have a monitor) so that I can view it later. I'm not worried about motion sickness, but I would like to have descent quality. It seems that most micro cameras are either FPV or recording only, not both. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Thought I'd bring this back to life. I'm about to get into FPV. All the videos I've seen have me convinced. The Fat Shark stuff with the head tracker blew me away. So many projects running through my mind right now...

I bet its the future of RC and within 5 years they will be racing with it big time.

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

Cars possibly, flying no. Me personally fun videos cool. But what i like about rc racing. I can see everything, height distance, and who is around me. Personally if FPV racing, rather just get in a real car. Part of the fun of rc racing is standing up on the stand and looking down for me. Flying ITs a drone if FPV, its a rc hobby if line of site flying (what is legal and considered rc by FAA)

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

My buddy does a lot of FPV flying, this video is from a gopro on 720 but he uses a fatshark
[youtube]5UZCz5eEXV0[/youtube]
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Yeah, being up on the drivers stand allows us to see better and all, but I'm betting this younger generation of racers, raised on touchscreens and hi-def games will embrace it.

I don't fly planes... yet. Just recently started flying a quadcopter and I love it. I'm going to have to get a Fatshark and put it in something, scale truck maybe at first. I remember an old RCCA issue and in the "back lot" there was an article about this dude who got all the neighborhood kids together to drive RC cars using his homemade FPV setup. This was like '89 or something! I remember reading it like man, I wanna do that!

Edit- I was way off. It was August '01 in Chris' back lot.