Duplicolor Metalcast painted wheels.

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

USA-1
Approved Member

Duplicolor Metalcast painted wheels.

Post by USA-1 »

4 sets of NOS USA-1 wheels and tires came up on ebay not too long ago, he had a buy it now for $100+$20 to shipped or best offer I made an offer for $80+$20 and he accepted.The finished was in good shape and in order to preserve it you have to clear coat them. I decided to try metalcast again this time with Orange I want yellow or gold but couldn't find it.

Very durable I baked them at around 120-150 degrees for about 15 mins once cooled very tuff like molded into the plastic.

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Duplicolor Metalcast painted wheels.

Post by shodog »

What color did the wheels start at? White or silver?

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

Hi Jim the wheels has shining slivery finish not plated and can easily be rub off, best to clear coat them or they will be ruin in no time if mishandle.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

So this duplicolor paint is like a clear candy? Sounds like its similar to the tamiya clears. Might be a good alternative if they have more colors

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

Here some more info they do carry a lot of different colors. Very resistance to heat, fuel etc.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I've worked with Metalcast paint and I absolutely hated working with it. I was trying to get a green anodized finish on something back when I was modding computer cases and it didn't come out ANYTHING like it was supposed to. The paint itself is thin and runny and prone to orange-peeling and easily runs if you put even just a bit too much down. I followed all the directions on the can to a "T". There's definitely a technique you need to learn with a lot of trial & error before you will get it right.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

Some painting tip when using metal cast paint, wash part well with dawn, shake can well for few minutes, fill sink with hot water place can in hot water to pressurize the paint will come out fine mist instead of splatters start with fine coat then proceed with heavier coats, if oven baking metal parts to 250 degrees for 1/2 hour let it cool very slowly will leave a hard rubbery surface if cooled too fast will chip easily.

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

Sunlight shot! Look I got custom machined billet aluminum red anodized wheels! :lol:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Those do look sick. I looked at the link you posted. Where can you find this stuff for sale at? Did you use the grounding color or sprayed over the original silver finish? I would like to pick up some along with the grounding color to do a rear triangle on my son's MTB.

Here is my old Suzuki Katana 600 that I restored. I polished the forks then sprayed them with Tamiya clear orange.

I have also them to spray tecnacraft wheels. I could have anodized them but the paint is reversible where as anodizing would be tougher to remove.

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

Hi Jim I just went down to the local O'Reilly autoparts store, any place that sell automotive paints should carry this product. I did not use any grounding color just shot straight to silver finish. wow you did an awesome job. I too have a few motorcycles that I have used this paint and it held up well, best to oven baked for best results once cooled ready for use.

All the gold trim on exhaust and rear wheel is metalcast yellow. My 2003 ZZR1200, also have 96,92 ZX-11's.
My 87 Jeep Comanche original owner. Metalcast blue on valve cover.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

That sure is a nice bike. I like the accents you made. No issues with the paint on the brake disc spiders?It would be cool to paint the wheels on my CBR something different.

USA-1
Approved Member

Post by USA-1 »

Thanks! no issue with the paint all is good!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I picked up some red to give it a try. Thanks for the tip on this paint.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I can't help but wonder how well Metalcast holds up when sprayed directly on a smooth, non-porous finish. I know that's the suggested procedure for using it on aluminum but if anodizing aluminum is such a complex procedure, how can this work as well? My buddy put this stuff on aluminum parts on his girlfriend's Camaro but the car hardly ever gets driven and I wonder if it holds up to pressure washing, degreasing, etc...?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

it's just paint, so it won't be as tough as anodizing. baking it makes it tougher, but with any prolonged abrasion, it will wear off, that applies to pretty much any coating.